ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK4 R32 Detail

Megane 250 FF / cup
This is my first write up on here so bare with me. I have been planning a heavy detail on my friends R32 which is heavily swirled and hasnt really been looked after by the previous owner in terms of washing/waxing etc.
We both finally had a day off together when we could go to town on it....8 long hours....my back hurts :buffer:
There wasn't really much sun so the pictures aren't the best and they were taken on an iphone.
I took these photos a few nights earlier under a street light to show the extent of the swirls,
IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276-1.jpg

He brought the car around looking like this,
IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

No snow foam - yet, so the car looked like this after a pre-rinse,
IMG_0352.gif

I gave the car a spraying over with some TFR diluted to a ratio of 4:1 and agitated it in the badges and the seals around the windows, left that to settle whilst i filled up my 2 buckets and a meguiars wash mitt. Gave it another rinse down and then got on with the washing,
IMG_0357.gif

IMG_0360.gif

I then moved onto claying the car with meguiars quick clay....the clay does the talking,
The roof and various other panels left the clay like this,
IMG_0362.gif

Below the bump strips - the clay was turned over regularly,
IMG_0365.jpg

I then washed the car again and moved onto the wheels. I sprayed them with some meguiars hot rims and some straight TFR on the callipers as they were very dull,
IMG_0356.gif

IMG_0355.gif

IMG_0354.gif

IMG_0367.gif

I then dried the car with a I4D uber premium drying towel.
Using my DA G220 with a red meguiars cutting pad and some 3M fast cut plus polish I started on the cutting process,
Bonnet ready to buffed off with several buffing cloths
IMG_0378.jpg

First side - cutting done,
IMG_0381.jpg

Roof,
IMG_0384.jpg

The light started to fade so the stopped and we carried on.
Once the cutting was done we applied autoglym SRP all over some foam applicators.
Then moved onto the final waxing stage which was done by hand with some dodo juice blue velvet,
IMG_0387.jpg

Once the waxwas on we left it for a good 20 minutes whilst we did the final touches.
We applied autoglym fast glass to both the interior and exterior. Buffed that off and then applied rainX. All the black plastics were treated with some bumper gel which is excellent stuff! The exhaust were polished with some autosol which brought them up a treat!
Here was the correction acheived,
IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Ahhh the end, now for some shots we took in IKEA
IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

Apparently this is High Definition on the iphone,
IMG_0426.jpg

Thanks for reading, hope you like it and thanks to you lot I have learnt how to really get a car to shine!!!
Elliott.:wave:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Seen this on Dw mate, nice job.

Couple of things, that paintbrush that close to the wheels is a massive no no! If the metal bit catches the wheel it'll take a decent chunk off. And they don't look like cheap wheels.

Other thing, with FC+ even with a DA you'll leave holograms so it's a good idea to refine the paintwork after using something so coarse on it. Somthing like 3M bluetop or Menz 85.

Also maybe start off with something a little less coarse next time and see how you go, general rule of thumb start with the lighest cut combo and work up until you're happy with the level of cut, that way you minimise clearcoat removal.

Megane 250 FF / cup
Blue Mez - No it isn't.

Seen this on Dw mate, nice job.

Couple of things, that paintbrush that close to the wheels is a massive no no! If the metal bit catches the wheel it'll take a decent chunk off. And they don't look like cheap wheels.

Other thing, with FC+ even with a DA you'll leave holograms so it's a good idea to refine the paintwork after using something so coarse on it. Somthing like 3M bluetop or Menz 85.

Also maybe start off with something a little less coarse next time and see how you go, general rule of thumb start with the lighest cut combo and work up until you're happy with the level of cut, that way you minimise clearcoat removal.

Thank you for your comments.

I know its a huge no no with the B&Q brushes haha but i cant warrant paying over a tenner for a brush that costs £2 at B&Q.

I have all of the 3M polishes green, yellow and blue, would you recommend using the blue top after green then....isnt SRP good enough??

I did start with a softer pad and the yellow polish but it wasnt giving the desired cut, I then changed to the green polish but kept the pad but agin the cut wasn't acheived so thats when i moved onto the cutting pad with the green polish.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah no problem mate good to see you started with low cut. Yeah Ultrafina is for refining, in some cases you can go green/yellow/blue but in most cases green/blue is fine.

SRP is definitely not a substitute for the UF mate, there's no real reason to use SRP after correction work. Maybe look into some pre-wax cleansers for use after correction, they give a good cleanse and a good base for waxes, also helps with durability of the LSP.

Brush wise the £2 isn't the same as a £10 brush that much should be evident, Even wrap some tape around the metal. Have a look here.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Envy-brushes-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230efad3d9

£9 for 5 really good brsuhes.

Honda & VW
Good work, funnily enough i'm working on a Mk4 R32 tomorrow.

Thats quite shocking how much contamination the clay removed - i think you need to invest in some 'Tardis'. Also its difficult to gauge just how big the clay bar is in the photos but it looks like you are pressing down on it so much with your fingers as its flattening out too much.

Gally makes a great point with regards to the brush, i note your comment "i cant warrant paying over a tenner for a brush that costs £2 at B&Q", ask yourself this..... How much will my mate charge me to repair/refurb his wheel(s) that get damaged - BBS CH's if i'm not mistaken?? For the sake of an extra few quid its worth it imo.

Megane 250 FF / cup
GALLY - thank you for that link i shall be purchasing them!!

YELLOWBELLY - Tardis along with many other items are on my 'to buy list'. I have just been and bought a nilfisk c120 pressure washer today so foam is the next thing!!

Regards to the clay bar i cut it in half and half again normally. I probably was pressing down too much as the tar just didn't want to come off!!

Thanks for the comments.

Elliott.

Megane 250 FF / cup
Mainly just one pass on each panel but took my time ensuring that the compound was completly broken down.