ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 Grills

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
So I have used Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel on the lower grill and the results are great although not sure how long it will last, it however made no difference to the upper grill. I'm considering using the Gtechniq C4 but it worries me that its going to be a bit fiddly and if its not applied evenly the finish wont be that great.

Should I just leave it as is, I mean it doesn't look bad, think I just remember them being less grey, any suggestions?

Attachments

• Lower Grill After.JPG
    Lower Grill After.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Lower Grill.JPG
    Lower Grill.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Upper Grill.jpg
    Upper Grill.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 49

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I've used C4 on the upper grills and can recommend it. Just make sure its as clean as possible before applying and it doesn't get wet for about 12 hours so has time to bond. Once you apply it wait a few mins then lightly wipe with a microfibre cloth so it gets an even finish. It should last around 1-2 years before needing done again. C4 Also works on the rubbers around the window, foglight surrounds, wing mirror plastics and rear bumper black plastic. Although on the original Cup splitter it doesn't work very well.

Last edited:
  172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
I've used C4 on the upper grills and can recommend it. Just make sure its as clean as possible before applying and it doesn't get wet for about 12 hours so has time to bond. Once you apply it wait a few mins then lightly wipe with a microfibre cloth so it gets an even finish. It should last around 1-2 years before needing done again. C4 Also works on the rubbers around the window, foglight surrounds, wing mirror plastics and rear bumper black plastic. Although on the original Cup splitter it doesn't work very well.
Ok excellent, I will give it a go, did you use the recommended cotton pads to apply it on the grill, id imagine that being difficult?

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I cleaned the grill with IPA 99.9% and cotton pads until there was no dirt being lifted.

Then used cotton pads to apply the C4 with rubber gloves on.

You can do all the horizontal bits easily and then pinch the cotton pads either side of the vertical bits. Add a bit of masking tape in front of the grill to protect the front bumper paint if you want.

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
Thanks, going to give the C4 a try first, can always have it painted if I completely balls it up. I recently applied Autoglym Polar Seal, I assume the Gtechniq Panel Wipe will remove that?

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
The C4 has been applied, prepped it with an undiluted citrus pre wash then panel wipe, used way more of the C4 than I thought I would, probably 10ml of the 15 just on the front grill, seemed to waste a lot getting into every corner although it looks pretty uniform as I’ve buffed of the excess, guess I will find out how it looks in a few hours

Clio 182
If I go paint route, is plastic primer recommended?
Don't want it peeling off after a year.
And what black paint recommended?

Thanks in advance

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
After a couple of hours. Keep in mind Autoglym Bumper and Trim Care made no difference, I’m pretty pleased, looks quite natural

Attachments

• 1AFE47CF-252F-43D4-B521-2A661079B4B6.png
    1AFE47CF-252F-43D4-B521-2A661079B4B6.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 7E9C0E1C-5C36-481F-A997-808C8E2CB98F.jpeg
    7E9C0E1C-5C36-481F-A997-808C8E2CB98F.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
If I go paint route, is plastic primer recommended?
Don't want it peeling off after a year.
And what black paint recommended?

Thanks in advance

Yes, grey primer and then satin black matte was what I used.

As with most paint jobs, the effort needs to be spent on the sand and prep. The actual paint application (do it in thin layers and build it up) is pretty straightforward.