ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobile phone abroad...will it work?

Peddled device
When l went to Tanzania a few years back my mobile would not connect to their local networks.I could find them but not use them.No idea why....

In a few weeks l will be in Beijing and want to know if l can use my Nokia 6230i there?

Cheers

You will probably need a quad band phone for this, I had to buy one for this purpose when I went to NZ, AUS,HK I bought a samsung one which was £80.

Peddled device
Been told this...

"China uses GSM for 2G so you should be fine. As to what network to use, if your roaming (using a UK SIM card) it wont matter. It will log on automatically to any available network. You will pay a fortune in calls so becareful. If you mean using a Chinese SIM card, not too sure what the networks over there are like and what restrictions are on buying SIM cards. You will also need to make sure you phone is unlocked (able to accept different SIM cards). "

Hopefully thats a yes :)

AK

M240i
I have a phone i bought from ebay that was orginally from China lol .. yours if you want :rasp:

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
It will work fine over there. The main network is china mobile. Get yourself a sim, top ups are available everywhere.

Are you on a contract phone or pay as you go?

When i went to africa everyone elses phones (that were on contract) worked but not mine coz i was only pay as you go.

Think the networks block pay as you go phones everywhere else in the world except maybe europe

Prob saved a small fortune though coz networks charge loads when abroad

SLK250 CDI
Trouble with PAYG when roaming is the billing issue - on PAYG it needs to be done in real time so that you don't exceed your available balance, on contract it's usually done daily.

On contract, you get to use the phone pretty much anywhere as the roamed network will send the billing data through to your home network later and they will get paid. For PAYG, with a few exceptions, the roamed network needs to support CAMEL roaming so that your call won't be connected unless you have the credit to pay for it. If you're on PAYG and the network you're roaming on doesn't support CAMEL then you can't use your phone.

The GSMWorld site should tell you whether each network supports CAMEL in the Services page for each network.