ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mobo easy question

172 cup TT
Ello - Do ALL motherboards have an output for a monitor?.. im guessing yes.... it does have what looks like a typical VGA(15 pin) port BUT its MALE.. isnt it usually a female port on mobo?... or do they vary... I'm at work at the mo' and just thinking about a problem i have with my new build and its going through my head annoying me... just hope my new 8800gt isnt up the swanny thats all...

FYI the mobo is : http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.html?ic=MSIP6NSLIFV2&eq=&Tp=

ta

Tesla MP3 2021
Not all motherboards have onboard graphics. There will only be a vga connection on the m/board if it has onboard graphics. The recent ones I have seen are female on the board but I am not sure if some boards have it the other way around, but if your board has a male vga or just the fact that it has a vga then it surly has onboard graphics.

172 cup TT
thanks chaps... yeh its probably just a male vga port i guess.... if it isnt a vga port what the hell could it be?... an amiga or megadrive joy-stick/pad port? :)

Revels Mum & Sister
Ello - Do ALL motherboards have an output for a monitor?.. im guessing yes.... it does have what looks like a typical VGA(15 pin) port BUT its MALE.. isnt it usually a female port on mobo?... or do they vary... I'm at work at the mo' and just thinking about a problem i have with my new build and its going through my head annoying me... just hope my new 8800gt isnt up the swanny thats all...

FYI the mobo is : http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.html?ic=MSIP6NSLIFV2&eq=&Tp=

ta

No not all boards do. Generally you find lower end Mobos have onboard VGA, however most if not all high end boards dont have onboard VGA. The port you are looking at is a serial port mate. Looks very similar and has the male pins like you said.

That board you linked to does NOT have onboard VGA

172 Cup
Back Panel I/O Ports

- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1 x 5 in 1 Audio jack
- 4 x USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack

Taken directly from the MSI site which makes no mention of anything like you've described?!?!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
As stated, not all motherboards have onboard VGA.

To be honest most of the time I neither need nor want onboard VGA as most of the systems I run are headless.

Revels Mum & Sister
The bit below that says serial port header, will more than likely be a small backplate with a serial connection on, that plugs into a header on the Mobo.

- ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU x 1 / System FAN x3 connectors
- CD-in connector
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 1 x SPDIF out connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 connector support additional 4 ports
- 1 x Floppy disk drive connector
- 4 x serial ATA connectors
- 1 x serial port connector
- 2 x ATA133 HD connectors
- Chassis intrusion switch connector
- Clear CMOS jumper

Tesla MP3 2021
would that come with the board though, or would you have to get it seperately.

172 Cup
The bit below that says serial port header, will more than likely be a small backplate with a serial connection on, that plugs into a header on the Mobo.

- ATX 24-Pin power connector
- 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU x 1 / System FAN x3 connectors
- CD-in connector
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 1 x SPDIF out connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 connector support additional 4 ports
- 1 x Floppy disk drive connector
- 4 x serial ATA connectors
- 1 x serial port connector
- 2 x ATA133 HD connectors
- Chassis intrusion switch connector
- Clear CMOS jumper

Sounds like it.. I took him on his exact words and thought he meant actually on the motherboard I/O itself.

Titanium 182
If your mobo has a built in graphics chip it will have a monitor output, Otherwise you will need to plug your monitor into a graphics card which goes into your mobo (im assuming you know that :])

SO if you have a 8800gt (nice card btw) you wont plug your monitor into your mobo anyway you will plug it into your 8800 and if your wanting to use duel monitors theres two ports on 8800's if there DVI ports you just use a converter think you get 1 with the 8800 its like a white/beige thing you can buy another from anywhere like www.overclockers.co.uk or somewhere.

Not sure i have grasped your problem properly tbh :(

//James

Last edited:
  172 cup TT
hi all - crikey lots of replies - cheers

Griff, you are right, the port is on the i/o part of the mobo itself... it IS NOT on any kind of standalone card... as i said (for you oldies out there) its the same style as a joypad port on a megadrive, Amiga, Atari2600 etc...

Aluco : Thanks for your input, yes i know it needs to be plugged into my 8800 but after i turn on my new build the monitor gets no signal...Ive been advised that i need to disable onboard GFX in the bios which will then enable the PCI-E slot to work..so the only way i can see what im doing on screen is by connecting to the VGA out on the mobo... Here is the thread (below) which explains it a bit more... if I dont have VGA output on my mobo then how do i get a signal to my monitor and control the bios..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=283272

Thanks chaps once again

Last edited:
  Revels Mum & Sister
With Ref to your other problem.

I notice you have a E6750 CPU, the motherboard you are using supported that FSB 1333 CPU after BIOS revision 1.2, that was released in JUly (End off) it could be you have old stock that isnt updated and hence wont run the CPU without a BIOS update. Any chance of getting your mits on an lower FSB CPU from a mate or something to try?

172 cup TT
I'll try take a pic Ras, but a little awkward...

And re: your Bios 1.2 comment - well, makes sense but everything says it has a FSB of 1333.. the box, manual etc... surely it must be running at that... only thing i can do then is take it to my local geek shop and see if they can plug in a lower FSB cpu and change the bios... i do wonder if i have damaged the processor in any way when installing it... it did make a couple of click noises when securing the "flap" thing over the top of it... As i said in my other post, would a system still display on a monitor even if the CPU had gone?

Revels Mum & Sister
Nah if the box says so then it should be a 1333FSB, dont worry about the noises fella. They do make some horrendous noises, CPU's are generally more robust than people think. The 775 are good in that the chip contacts are not pins like on the old ones.

If the CPU was fecked you wouldnt be hitting POST, not if it was damaged enough to stop it booting.

172 cup TT
ah nice, never installed a CPU before see, was just conerned thats all..

I didnt quite get what else you were getting at in that last message tho mate - Are you still saying i still should try a slower FSB cpu?

ALSO, didnt get this part either :

"If the CPU was fecked you wouldnt be hitting POST, not if it was damaged enough to stop it booting."

Brains fried today i think - sorry chap!

Revels Mum & Sister
Basically POST is when you get to the bit where it lists CPU, RAM amount and Hard drives and where you can enter the BIOS. If your CPU was dead then you wouldnt get to post. Someone said above even if it was completely dead you would but you wouldnt chances are it wouldnt power on.

It could be your CPU is dead, or it could be something else. Unfortunately its a case of trying, CPU, Memory, PSU and Graphics card ohhh and motherboard to try and find what is knackered. Bit of a pain really. You need to find someone with all these parts you can borrow or take it to an computer place and get them to diagnose the fault and return the faulty part.

Titanium 182
Aluco : Thanks for your input, yes i know it needs to be plugged into my 8800 but after i turn on my new build the monitor gets no signal...Ive been advised that i need to disable onboard GFX in the bios which will then enable the PCI-E slot to work..so the only way i can see what im doing on screen is by connecting to the VGA out on the mobo... Here is the thread (below) which explains it a bit more... if I dont have VGA output on my mobo then how do i get a signal to my monitor and control the bios..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=283272

Thanks chaps once again

Ahh sorry never saw your original post :] didn't mean to patronise you at all if i did sorry about that.

Could your mobo possibly be set to run the graphics off a PCI port instead of PCIE for some reason ? Or maybe your mobo just needs a reset. Try resetting the bios by swapping the little metal thing on your mobo i can't remember names atm too frazzzled *_* Its like a little metal thing that touches two metal pins a resistor or something pretty tiny. If it is a BIOS issue that might help it ? All you have to do with it is take it off swap it round for 20 secs then swap it back as far as i remember. And i think your PC has to be turned on.

But i honestly don't know, if you know what im trying to explain give it a go but im not sure i know what im trying to explain xD

//James

ps. <Not liable for any damage caused by listening to me cos im a numpty>

Chelsea tractor
I don't think he can see whether it gets past POST or not mate. I could only presume that it does as there's usually either a beep or the diagnostic lights come on (if it has them).

Probably the card then unfortunately :(

theinquirer.net said:
An Australian outlet has also been in touch to say that of the 22 cards they were allocated, three don't work (two Inno3d 8800GT 512Mb cards one Gainward 8800GT 512Mb card). All three were dead on arrival. "Fans spin, no signal," reports our source. He notes: "Thirteen-and-a-half per cent DOA is not good enough..."

Linky

172 cup TT
Ras: thanks chap - gotcha, i'll take it down to geekland on friday when off work..

Aluco: you didnt seem patronising mate, dont worry.. all's cool.. you are talking about the CMOS jumper arent you?...And, yes i want to try and change it to PCI-E but i cant see a display on my screen... i could guess i suppose but that might cause more problems than good! haha

Gumby: Yep, nail on the head... no display so dont know if it POSTs or not... and yes, no beeps either so it probably is... And Fcuk!!! not good news about the GFX card report!!!... argh... i'll make some enquiries...

Revels Mum & Sister
Just dont take it to PCGhey find a local firm of independants. Quicker turn around and more than likely wont end up with a muppet working on your PC

Revels Mum & Sister
Also to be honest regardless if it is set to PCI-E, PCI, AGP or whatever options are available on various boards it will still post this setting is not generally needed

Titanium 182
Yeh thats what i meant xD

Sorry im still in training xD

Hope you manage to get it sorted m8

//James

172 cup TT
OK an update.... Just got home..

The port i THOUGHT was a 15 pin D-sub(monitor) port is in fact a 9 pin port.. Same size just less pins.. in my mobo manual its called a "com port".... I bought a friggin Sex-change adapter and of course my 15pin monitor cable wouldnt fit...... argh

172 cup TT
right, one final thing before i take it to "an uber"...

On the mother board there is, what seems like a small socket near the CPU which would accept 8 "pins". looks like a much smaller version of the main 24 pin mobo power supply socket.. 4 of the the pins are blanked off from the factory with a little blanking cover leaving a 2by2 square power socket hole.... (Ive not explained well have i!!)... anyway, in the mobo manual it is called the:

"ATX 12V Power Connector JPW1"... and is described as
"The JPW 112V power connector is used to provide power to the CPU"....

Do i need to power this??... the thing is, the CPU fan is spinning without this plugged in!.. and im worried of frying my CPU if i plugged power into it and its wrong!!!... any clues?? this COULD be the problem.... but risky

Last edited:
  172 cup TT
Sod the entry above - i was talking rubbish..

Problem solved!!! - I have a faulty pair of 1gig sticks.... tested in a similar spec PC and no worky!...

Thanks for peoples advice and input

Revels Mum & Sister
Cool glad its sorted.

Plug a 4 pin power connector into the one you mentioned fella. You wont harm it. SOme boards wont run without it plugged in

172 cup TT
will do mate... Spent all night reinstalling Windows... woo can finally play ut3!... and damn, there are loads i want to play.. COD, orange box, ass creed! argh... cheers for your help too Ras

Monaro VXR
If there are any ports relating to power on your mobo plug something into them.

Mate of mine built his system then after me going over things on the phone for 40 minutes. With him telling me it works it turns on all the fans spin but nothing happens I told him to bring the system round to mine. Noticed he had not plugged the 4 pin connector in. Plugged it in it all booted and worked fine.

If there is a plug there it is typically there for a reason...Use it.

clio
you will find most top spec boards do not have onboard graffix, as they just think you brought a dear motheboard,you will have enuff money for some expensive graffix cards too ..twin 8800 ultras anyone lol