ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mod Friendly Insurance Companys

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hi, getting added onto mums insurance policy and shes letting me mod "her" car if you know what i mean ;)

need an insurance company that will insure me at 17 with suspension lowered 60mm, induction kit, cat back exhaust, colour coding, rear spoiler and optional extra 15" alloys

shes with norwich union at the moment but i hear they only let you have 3 mods.

cheers

I wouldn't do this insurance companies arn't stupid if you crash hey may look into who's driving it mostly and resude to pay out on claims.

Adrain Flux or CIS are good Tesco bigh be a bit expensive.
I'd definatly get your own policy if I were you/

Adrian Flux suck. Big time!

Avoid unless you like getting robbed when it comes to paying out or getting a refund.

s**t customer service unless it's taking calls to take your money...

White16valver said:
Adrian Flux suck. Big time!

Avoid unless you like getting robbed when it comes to paying out or getting a refund.

sh*t customer service unless it's taking calls to take your money...
I've found them to be very good. They paid me the excess in 2 days i think they owned me for changing my policy.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
There are loads of companies out there.

And vary from who is applying for the insurance, im with Tesco and found no one cud beat there policy and price whereas other people i know have not had the same old luck.

Ring around get a few quotes.

and as Edde has mentioned insurance companies are NOT stupid.
They can get very detailed on these kind of things from interviewing friends, family members etc to trace whos been driving.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
well its her name thats on the V5 so it is her car (has been for the last 3 years just she now has another car) ive got a lot of mates who are on their parents policy and smashed and theres not been a problem. i cant afford to go on my own policy anyway nothing else i can do

Martin_89 said:
i cant afford to go on my own policy anyway nothing else i can do
Just because your mates have crashed is it worth the risk? There a reason insurance is to high for you if you cannot afford to pay it well IMO you shouldn't use it.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
edde said:
Just because your mates have crashed is it worth the risk? There a reason insurance is to high for you if you cannot afford to pay it well IMO you shouldn't use it.

Spot on!!

My first year of insurance cost me £1700 on a 1.0 Micra FFS !!!

I had to pay if i wanted to drive, i was 17 and just passed i wud say i was a high risk driver! got thru the years with no accidents and watched my premiums drop rapidly over them, harsh, yes, but at least i knew i was covered in the unfortunate event of an accident.

As father and son....
16457044271016044603V1FBillShock.gif

edde said:

to true!

Im sure the money you're planning on spending on the mods would go a long way to actually paying for your own insurance, so not really a case of not being able to afford it is it!

Lv have starting getting a bit tight on mods they arn't as keen as they used to be they may have ven stoped insuring young drivers with mods as new policies.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its not illegal for me to be on my mums policy on my mums car so i will be covered

direct line do NCB to named drivers and are also the cheapest for me going by there online quote £360 a year but i dont know how they are with mods, anyone with them?

Martin_89 said:
its not illegal for me to be on my mums policy on my mums car so i will be covered
Yep your totally right its not illegal its not illegal for my mum or dad to drive my car as there on the policy however if i never used my car and since the insurance is in my name and I'm listed as the main driver and my parents used it for the milage per year to and from work them insurance is invalid as I've lied to them about who the main driver is. They wouldn't do it in this case as my parents are low risk but if my brother was on the policy and he had a claim they would look into it particularly if it was a big claim. I know of a CTR driver (21 yrs old) who crashed the car and insurance won't pay as insurance was in his mums name with him as an extra driver.

Hiya martin, jus thought I'd tell you about what happened to me when I was insured on under my dads name. I crashed into another car. Total repair bill for both cars was £2500. The insurance company asked 2 of my neighbours if my dad ever drove my car (I eventually saw one of the letters and it was worded - have you ever seen Mr. Kenneth Thomas (my dad) driving a blue ford fiesta regestration P*** VHS as driven by Mr Stuart Thomas.) They both replied with a no, leaving me with a £2500 repair bill. Its not worth the risk mate. If someone crashes into you, and the other insurance company gets a whiff that your a named driver they'll look into it and then inform your insurance company of the findings, and will refuse to pay out for your car.

Basically, GET YOUR OWN POLICY!

Clio 172 mk2
I second that advice....there's no easy way to get away with cheap insurance if your young and be 100% covered/safe apart from having your own poilcy.

It's a real pain but we all have to do it....I started off driving when I was 17 in a 1 litre Renault 5 which probably cost me a grand to insure!!!!!....as you get older though things improve and if you can avoid pranging the car the good old NCB will increase:D

yeah i've now got 2 years no claims, and my insuance has dropped from £1600 for a 1.3 fiesta to £775 for my 1.6 clio. its all good once you get some no claims

Golf GTI 1.8T
My mate who owns a modded 1.2 corsa C, and is upgrading to a modded 1.8 sri corsa C this year has given me the number of someone call Brentacre (01792 650933) I haven't tried them yet but he has told me that the do specific policys for the cars power. So for me he said ask about the 100bhp one and you are allowed any mods to the car aslong as it doesn't exceed 100bhp, he's going for the 150bhp one. As I said I dunno how true this is but I will be given them a ring in the future, think he said they wont take you on unless you have at least 1 ncb though, which I will have in may :D

just done a quick search on them, they seem to have good reputation, and thr horsepower banding is true, any mods you want without declairing them, as long as flywheel power doesnt exceed pre agreed amount. Is a lot like what CIS used to offer, will definately be giving them a call next year, as my list of mods is gradually getting longer and longer.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Martin_89 said:

direct line do NCB to named drivers and are also the cheapest for me going by there online quote £360 a year but i dont know how they are with mods, anyone with them?

Erm u will find not!

Only the policy holder takes control of the NCD accumilated with the time you are with that particular insurance company. Not any named drivers on the policy.

Golf GTI 1.8T
theduckeatspork said:
just done a quick search on them, they seem to have good reputation, and thr horsepower banding is true, any mods you want without declairing them, as long as flywheel power doesnt exceed pre agreed amount. Is a lot like what CIS used to offer, will definately be giving them a call next year, as my list of mods is gradually getting longer and longer.

Nice one, I hadn't got round to searching them to see if they do online quotes but that sounds quite good. I think that was they we're the cheapest quote he could get and he bloody works for an insurance broker lol (swinton insurance services)

does seem good, basically quote for you and your car, and from what I have read, you can agree the upper limit with them, obviously the higher you puch it, the more it costs.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Has said:
Erm u will find not!

erm you will find this on the direct line website!

If you have other drivers named on your Direct Line policy,
they will earn Named Driver No-Claim Discount in their
own name for every year they are not responsible for a claim
arising on your policy. They can transfer their Named Driver
No-Claim Discount when they take out their own car
insurance policy with Direct Line.
They will need to identify the policy on which they have
earned this discount by giving your name, date of birth
and postcode and either your policy number or vehicle
registration.