ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

modding coilovers

clio 172
quick question lads, shoot me down if its stupid,
but could 52mm coilovers be slightly modded to fit 54mm
cheers
Ben

Matae simular thread was put up yesterday... have a look in the suspension section. was in relation to putting non cup coliovers on a cup and modding them

clio 172
Matae simular thread was put up yesterday... have a look in the suspension section. was in relation to putting non cup coliovers on a cup and modding them

had a look at that thread mate but surely its easier to make 52's into 54's, sounds complicated in the other thread

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
52mm hubs are also narrower, it's not just the hole spacing that is different

Indeed, which makes it a lot easier to put 54mm coilovers onto 52mm rather than the other way around, as its easier to slide in a shim than to mill off a section

both inherently possible though and nothing like the problems with the cup and non cup ones in the other thread as its so much closer to begin with.

Still makes more sense generally to just get the right ones in the first place though as a rule of thumb, as even if you happen to have some 52mm ones, they can always be sold and buy secondhand 54mm instead etc.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
but 52mm are for smaller engined models which run a narrower track too, so it's going to throw out everything, camber would be positive for a start.
Don't bother

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
but 52mm are for smaller engined models which run a narrower track too, so it's going to throw out everything, camber would be positive for a start.
Don't bother

Oh I agree totally, although you can obviously make sure that when you elongate the hole you do it in the right direction to correct camber, but its just not a good thing to be doing at all generally, fat better to just have shocks that fit.

By the way though, surely if you put the narrower track shocks on the wider track you mean its going to push it negative not positive, like it adds negative camber when you put williams arms onto a valver with the valver shocks still etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
don't really care. it's still wrong

If you had a 1.2 clio and wanted "lowz" and "mad camba" you would care, 54mm coilovers and some shims would have you cumming in your pants then, lol

But I cant see you or I ever falling into that category or wanting anything to do with cars that do, lol

clio 172
Don't bother
Cheers for the advice. I was just being a tight f**ker realy, I'm not looking for mad lows, don't car what it looks like, purely looking for handling gains, will jus bite the bullet an buy the proper size
cheers