ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modifications

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What about an exhaust?

You'll think it'll sound cool, then the police will pull you over.

You'll need to declare mods to the insurance, which will cost lots of money for a young driver.
If you don't you'll get in trouble (when the police pull you for having a loud exhaust)

You won't see any extra power, just more noise.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A good set of tyres and brake pads. Change all the fluids and filters, then look to see if any bushes or steering and suspension components need replacement.
A decent stereo and speakers might help.
The car will feel much newer, and you'll get more for it when you sell it.
Don't bother with new wheels, lowering springs, intake or exhaust mods. You're not going to get any gains for your money and your insurance company will up your premiums, so save the cash for when you upgrade the car.

Clio 197,with megan'
In you situation, if you want to go quicker, try a track day, and take some tuition, that will probably help you go faster, safely, on the road.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
What advantages and disadvantages do u get if your car is lower?
It'll look better than before for a start, and it'll handle better due mainly to the fact lower springs are stiffer too. Lower springs should really be mated with uprated dampers which will improve the handling even more, but that will make your s**t tyres grip even shitter so you'd better upgrade those too. And why not get some nice alloys to put those grippy tyres on?

Or leave it alone and save up for a better car in a year or two? You can see how this modifying game gets expensive rather quickly and no you'll not be able to sell it for more just because you've spent money on modifying it.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
I paid £1600 for a set of 18" chrome alloys when I was about 20, they wen't on a corsa SXI (baller) that wasn't worth much more.

Massively regretted it a few years later when I was older and slighty wiser.

Take from that what you will :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
As above.. don't waste your money, especially if you don't even know what it does.

Every time you have a bright idea like lowering it or changing the lights for tinted ones you can barely be seen with, or some stupid exhaust that will actually mean the car is producing less power, put that money in an ISA.

Thank yourself in 5 years time when you've got a house deposit saved - insurance will also bend you over backwards for modz.

Anything like a new head unit you can swap to your next car or sell easily, crack on.

Reactions: MLB

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

To give you an idea of the costs. And i caveat this with the fact i have no idea if 1*2 suspension will fit a 1.2 clio.
This is also assuming you dont find any issues with worn bushes or seized parts when you're at it.
A decent set of second hand standard suspension (springs and struts) for a 1*2 is about £150. You may need to replace the top mounts (£60). It'll take 2-3 hours for a garage (£150) to do the work, assuming you can find a garage willing to fit parts you supply , or you can do it yourself if you are handy with the spanners.
Then you'll need a 4 wheel alignment (£50)
Depending on how low you go you may need to get some camber bolts (£20) so you dont rip up one side of your tyres.
And as has been mentioned, you're going to need some decent tyres to make this worthwhile (£200).
Then you need to tell your insurance company and bend over...

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Is it because the engine costs more than the car is worth?

Nothing to do with that, you just won't make anymore power unless you wanted to turbo it or something.

If you fitted an exhaust the car would probably loose power. Just do cosmetic or little things and save for a better car in future.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
As above.. don't waste your money, especially if you don't even know what it does.

Every time you have a bright idea like lowering it or changing the lights for tinted ones you can barely be seen with, or some stupid exhaust that will actually mean the car is producing less power, put that money in an ISA.

Thank yourself in 5 years time when you've got a house deposit saved - insurance will also bend you over backwards for modz.

Anything like a new head unit you can swap to your next car or sell easily, crack on.

How i wish i did this instead of dicking about the last ten years lol could of had two houses easy lol

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
The simplest way to word it with the most brutal honesty:

It’s a little 1.2 Clio, it’s not going to beat much on the roads no matter how much money you spend on hubcaps and LED’s. Enjoy it for what it is. I’m assuming you’re young and/or a new driver that possibly believes there is some sort of tuning chip/bolt on that’ll have you overtaking with Audi’s etc. It is what it is, enjoy it for that until you have more experience (& knowledge) under your belt.

Reno clio 1.2 mk3
Fair enough
The simplest way to word it with the most brutal honesty:

It’s a little 1.2 Clio, it’s not going to beat much on the roads no matter how much money you spend on hubcaps and LED’s. Enjoy it for what it is. I’m assuming you’re young and/or a new driver that possibly believes there is some sort of tuning chip/bolt on that’ll have you overtaking with Audi’s etc. It is what it is, enjoy it for that until you have more experience (& knowledge) under your belt.

Look up training through the Institute of Advanced Motorists, RoSPA and the High Performance Course - will make you better on all roads, in all cars, in all places, and it's not money down the drain that's tied to this one car.