ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modifying Konis to fit a 182.

Clio 197
Koni adjustable dampers (for Mk2172).

I'd like to modify them to fit my 182.

Possible?

Safe?

Do I get my angle grinder out?

Clio 197
News just-in.

Koni are now doing a damper kit for the 182.

Currently a 5 week waiting time.

(I want to be 100% sure before you take this as gospel, so let me chase-up a few leads first)

The difference between 172 and 182 cup pack dampers is that 182 Cup suspension packed cars have 58mm hubs. 172's have 54mm hubs. All you need to do is drill out the 54mm huubs another 4mm or better still weld up the hole and have another drilled in the right place.

Mark - none standard 182 (ie none Cup packed suspension) hubs are the 172 hubs.
If yu'd wanted to be the first with 182 Coilovers you could have gone down the easy route of 172 hubs on the front and then have your pick of coilovers.

Turbo Beige
omar said:
News just-in.

(I want to be 100% sure before you take this as gospel, so let me chase-up a few leads first)

I would be interested to know more, as and when you find out.

Cheers

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
edde said:
The difference between 172 and 182 cup pack dampers is that 182 Cup suspension packed cars have 58mm hubs. 172's have 54mm hubs. All you need to do is drill out the 54mm huubs another 4mm or better still weld up the hole and have another drilled in the right place.

Is that right ? I thought the hubs acounted for the 182's increased track width ? If not what does ? the wishbones ?

Maz

LY 200
omar said:
News just-in.

I would really like to know if this is true, I have just sold a set because of the bolt spacing problem as I didn't fancy having the kit modified :eek: lol

I now have cash waiting to buy a new kit and I am just waiting to see what comes along as I want it on its ass... ;)

Clio 197
Hehe...

Well, it's just a damper-kit.

As for springs... personally I've gone for a 25-30mm drop that actually improves handling without the harshness of some of the other spring-kits.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Maz

LY 200
omar said:
Hehe...

Well, it's just a damper-kit.

As for springs... personally I've gone for a 25-30mm drop that actually improves handling without the harshness of some of the other spring-kits.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Ahhhhhhh right so they don't do the full kit ??

Maz

LY 200
Yeah mate I mean the full suspension kit...

I sold mine on here, took a while with it being sooooooo close to xmas.. cash is burning a hole in my pocket now, lol :)

Clio 197
Ok, I have spoken to Koni & Spax.

They do not do anything for the 182 (despite spax listing the 182 in their literature).

So, back to the drawing-board.

I reckon there are a few people (me included) that would like to find a reasonably priced solution to creating a better handling 182 w/ cup packs and it not costing a fortune.........

I've heard on here the GAZ give a really harsh ride, Ledas are massively expensive although very good.

Is there anything in between that won't upset the day to day commute but will benefit on the track??

Duce said:
I reckon there are a few people (me included) that would like to find a reasonably priced solution to creating a better handling 182 w/ cup packs and it not costing a fortune.........

I've heard on here the GAZ give a really harsh ride, Ledas are massively expensive although very good.

Is there anything in between that won't upset the day to day commute but will benefit on the track??
thats the position im in.. really want some LEDA's but will take me ages to save that amount of money. dont want to buy some cheap stuff that will give a really harsh ride.
dunno what the H&R's are liek (thats if theyre available for a 182)??

edde said:

looks like you have to fart around with them to make them fit - doesn't sound too ideal to me

Maz

LY 200
Demon Tweeks tried to sell me some Spax for my 182.... tut tut, thought they knew what they were talking about... lol

Its often the sales book which is wrong not Demon tweeks they don't know the ins and outs of every car. H and R or another company still list a 182 kit but its a 172 kit which doesn't fit cupped 182's

Clio 197
Okay.... so it's modify time:

I'll order a set of Koni Adjustables.... and send them to edde for modification.

Edde - you can run, but you can't hide!

edde said:
Its often the sales book which is wrong not Demon tweeks they don't know the ins and outs of every car. H and R or another company still list a 182 kit but its a 172 kit which doesn't fit cupped 182's

is that the same with H&R coilovers?? no 182'ability?

Yep it might have been H and R.
The only 182 suspension kits which are availiable are coilovers from
Blistein (via Yozzasport)
Leda
Gaz
Omar, I need you car for 3 month research and development whilst I'm fitting them and need to go some (4k) or slow development driving miles, you don't mind lending it to me do you?
Infact Omar I've got a 172 hub here only need one more and no need to modify then.

thanks for another informative post again edde

LEDA are the only real option then.

oh you missed FK's off there? :p

GuyS said:
LEDA are the only real option then.

oh you missed FK's off there? :p
I didn't think FK had a coilover kit for the 182 out. They may advertise one but its the same part number as the 172 one ie it won't fit.
Leda are the way I'd go personally.