ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mods for a 1.4 RT

S2000

I got a 1.4 RT recently and Im now looking to start doing a few modifications. Im not planning on doing anything major to it but I just want to improve the appearance/sound of it. The mods I am looking to do are a back box, alloys and lowered to start off with and hopefully people can help me out with some suggestions for each.

EXHAUST:- I am looking for something that isnt stupidly loud but still gives a good sound and isnt too quiet when driving at lower revs. A happy medium between the extremes of quiet and loud is really what I am looking for.

LOWERING:- I would really like to lower it by about 60mm but don;t want there to be too much rubbing. If there were suggestions for kits with just springs and for kits with springs and shocks that would be great. I am on a bit of a budget so I would probably just go with springs for the moment but might consider new shocks as well depending on the price.

ALLOYS:- Im really looking for a cheap set of alloys (about £200 max). I would probably want either a set of 16v Phase 2 alloys or possibly some cheap alloys of ebay. I was considering some TSW Razors off ebay but Ill have to think about it.

My clio is in Naples Red and if I got 16v Phase 2 alloys I would maybe look at getting them sprayed anthracite or just black as I think they would go really well with the colour of the car (has anyone doen this and if so are there any pics?)

Any suggestions would be a great help especially for the lowering and exhaust because Im not too sure what would be best for these.

Thanks,

Dave.

Twingo 133

For exhaust it pends what you want to pay but you can get ashley back boxes nice and cheap but these are quite loud. you can fit a 16v system to a non 16v car. i have a scorpian system with de-cat on mine and that isnt too loud, and sounds good.

for suspension i would recomend 40mm, people say that you can lower 55-60mm no probs but mines lowered 55mm on shocks and when i turn and go over a big bump etc the actual metal arch gets caught on the tyre thus damaging it and bringing the lip out.

For wheels, the phase 2s in darker colour sound a good idea. just keep a look out on the for sale forum and ebay and get some cheap wheels from there.

S2000

Thanks for the advice arj.

Have you got any link or anything for the ashley back boxes or could you say roughly how much they are? (Ill google it in a minute and see what comes up)

I dont want that with my suspensio but I do love the look of really low cars. What size wheels do you have on and what tyres?

[Edited by donsrno1 on 6/6/2005 1:40:12 AM]

I found some links for the exhausts on google. How loud are they and does anyone have a sound file of them by any chance?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

i am selling my 15" alloys in the for sale section for £200! PM me if your interested, john

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

from a naples RT too! so i can show you some pics of it, so you can see how it would look

Rb 182

Youve heard mine and its a Piper back box (£128 from Halfords) and a de-cat (from Lunner). I think it sounds good.

Dave

Civic Type-R

Quote: Originally posted by Djw Dave on 06 June 2005

Youve heard mine and its a Piper back box (£128 from Halfords) and a de-cat (from Lunner). I think it sounds good.

Dave
Thats exactly what I used to have on my old RT... sounded real good, pretty loud but not too loud.

S2000

Thanks for the help people.

If anyone could give their thoughts on lowering and what kit is best that would be really helpfull as Im not too sure if it might be pushing it to go for 60mm.

I have sent you a PM JonnyK.

Dave - I was actually going to ask you what you had on yours dave as I thought it sounded pretty good. Did you get those pics I sent you?

Rb 182

Yup looks good. I will need to come through and see it. If you want ill take you for a drive in mine and you can hear the exhaust at all the diffrent levels.

Dave

Rb 182

As for suspension, mines is dropped about 50mm on springs and as you seen it handled ok, bit bouncy but ok. Looking into getting a Gmax 55mm kit. Its about £200 from my work. I think if you are going to go 50 or 60 then go for a kit as the ride will be alot better.

Dave

S2000

I might take you up on that offer at some point dave. I might just stick to springs for the moment because Im trying to keep he costs down.

Unfortunately I just spotted earlier today that I have an oil leak so I am going to get that sorted and give it a good service and get the cambelt done before anything else. I also noticed that there is quite a bit of scraping on the bottom of the car at the front, and a dent in the first part of the exhaust, so I think that the car was lowered in the past (the torsion bar sems to be slightly uneven at the back as if its been adjusted at some point) as that would help to explain the scraping underneath.

If I were just to go for springs alone at the moment would it be possible to buy matching shocks anywhere at a later date without having to buy new springs as well?

Dave.

Rb 182

Should be able to get matching shocks at a later date. Companys like G-max do a range of shocks that you can buy singly.

See you soon Dave