ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Momo Boss + wire = Fire

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Seriously shat myself, connected my momo boss and the horn wire touched the metal of the boss kit and started a fire, Words cannot describe how much i shat myself, lucky there was snow to chuck onit,

Looks like the fire catched the horn wire which made it bigger, nothing in the instructions to say that you had to disconnect the battery :S. looks like il need to either fix the problem of a lose wire or if not buy the new steering thingy:dapprove:

Anything like this happend to anyone else?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
mate, the threads on here all say about the battery! glad ya cars alrite though! first thing you should of thought about tho not having the battery disconected?
did you take the airbags off with the battery conecxted aswell?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Oh s**t is there, i was too excited to fit it and finally move the car, but it back fired on me :( ,

Nah airbags are still connected in the car, but i didnt have a steering wheel connected anywayz,

im just abit wary if that will happen when i drive, surely it shouldnt do that :S

it wont happen again as most likey the horn wires are fried now.....

the threads basically detail what happens when you connect up the existing horn wiring to the centre push of an aftermarket wheel. i've had no horn for the last yr or so as there is no conclusive way or gettting it working using the horn push. nothing detailing what you actually need to do to stop it setting fire to itself anyway.

im going to eventually get round to fitting a ph1 indicator stalk with the horn on the end of that.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
eh? how did you have the airbags conected if you had the momo boss on it?
so have you fitted the wheel?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
it wont happen again as most likey the horn wires are fried now.....

the threads basically detail what happens when you connect up the existing horn wiring to the centre push of an aftermarket wheel. i've had no horn for the last yr or so as there is no conclusive way or gettting it working using the horn push. nothing detailing what you actually need to do to stop it setting fire to itself anyway.

im going to eventually get round to fitting a ph1 indicator stalk with the horn on the end of that.

Oh really, thats a shitter tbh, so what have you done regarding Mot time then? as that requires a horn to work.

Il have a look out for a ph1 stalk now then, i was abit scared when it happend blowing it out and snow and it went, but stinks of fire now tho

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
eh? how did you have the airbags conected if you had the momo boss on it?
so have you fitted the wheel?

Ah i though you ment other airbags :eek:sorry,

The wires were lose so i could just fit the boss straight on then the red wire(now black and fried) touched and up it went,

Ye wheel is on now, but the centre part isnt on tho, il tidy it up on the weekend.

Have you sorted yours out yet?

swapped wheels back over for the last one....and then had a change of heart afterwards and put the sparco back on as it felt like driving a bus otherwise. will sort it for the next MOT.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
im just waiting for my momo boss to come, ordered it from deemon tweeks, was meant to be here yesterday but nooo...lol
ive got my resistors ready for the airbags now aswell though
i meant, did you take the original renault wheel off and take the airbag out while your battery was conected?
im worried about the horn, i mite just leave it but make sure i cover it in electrical tape

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
im just waiting for my momo boss to come, ordered it from deemon tweeks, was meant to be here yesterday but nooo...lol
ive got my resistors ready for the airbags now aswell though
i meant, did you take the original renault wheel off and take the airbag out while your battery was conected?
im worried about the horn, i mite just leave it but make sure i cover it in electrical tape

Ahh there is something in the momo box that you plug into the end of the airbag connectors, doesnt look like a resistor but has a small fuse at the end ov it :S. Steering wheel hasnt been connected for about 3months, since my conversion started tbh

Ye i would adivce you to tape it up before putting it through, dont kno how it happend because its only metal touching metal,

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
cool, so havu u used them and not got the airbag lights on the dash?
did the wires go through easy enough? as in my problem and the hole wasnt big enough on my omp lol?
yea il defo tape iyt up if i decide not to conect it, however i will be disconecting my batter before i put the wires through lol! get some pics i wana see

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
No iv just left the centre of the steering wheel open so i can do it properly on the weekend, was to dark to carry on tonight.
yee theres plenty of room with this boss kit perfect tbh, you wont struggle atall just do the battery and have a bucket of water just incase ;) haha.

Il get pics in a min, just finishing watchin home and away :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
haha ok cool!
lol i will mate just incae!
just got to my girlfriends and my boss has arived, im excited to get it on now, will do it at the weekend when its light!
yea i see, the hole is 4 times the size of the omp one

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
have fitted mine tonite and love it, cant believe how small it actualy is now its on lol, and i used resistors and have worked so dont have any lights on the dash, will be getting pics in the light

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
glad you got yours on and working austin!!! look forward to the pics

cheers mate, il try and take them before work in the morning because itl be dark when i get home, i have left the horn wire untouched for now lol, was very happy when the lights didnt come on

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Me too, only i trapped the wire when clipping the horn in.

3 seconds of smoke and sindered wires was the result.

He he.

this is making me not want to even atempt wiring the horn up, but i dont know if i can live without the horn and mot times aswell?

mot times its just a case of swapping back the wheels over. im only going to wire it up if i get a ph1 stalk. not worth the risk. theres no one peice of info on here that tells you why it happens, and what can be done to avoid it.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
mot times its just a case of swapping back the wheels over. im only going to wire it up if i get a ph1 stalk. not worth the risk. theres no one peice of info on here that tells you why it happens, and what can be done to avoid it.

how would the stalk work, how would it be wired up? it will be anoying not having a horn lol i like beeping

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just get a PH1 stalk with push button horn, you just clip it in and it works straight away.

Easy :) Did for me anyway.

Unplug the airbag fuse, and i taped up all the wires.

clip into what exactly tho mate? so the horn wire ive got inside my hub now would just stay ther and not be used?
my airbags are fine ive put resistors in, or is that not what ur on about lol?

the phase one stalk basically already has connectors on for a horn, all you need to do, from what i can see, is basically connect up the existing horn wires in your boss to the stalk, by feeding them back down into the cowl on the steering column. i think anyway, will do a guide when i evntually do it as there isnt one on here and alot people have aftermarket wheels and seem to like having fires inside there car.....

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
the phase one stalk basically already has connectors on for a horn, all you need to do, from what i can see, is basically connect up the existing horn wires in your boss to the stalk, by feeding them back down into the cowl on the steering column. i think anyway, will do a guide when i evntually do it as there isnt one on here and alot people have aftermarket wheels and seem to like having fires inside there car.....

lol i was so worried about this fire crack that ive even electric taped the end of the horn wire lol, even though its not exosed as is in the plastic block

haha i would be willing to put my car on the fact that it happens to someone again before the middle of the year. glad it wasnt yours anyway mate ;)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
haha i would be willing to put my car on the fact that it happens to someone again before the middle of the year. glad it wasnt yours anyway mate ;)

lol thats why id rather just leave it....hope i dont go out in the morning to a burned out 182 lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wrapped the wires in electrical tape, and only reconnected the battery once everything was assembled.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
+1, assuming this is where everyone else went wrong.

Yea i do, however as my mate was reconecting the batterey i opened the driver door and ther was a flash lol the lights flashed on.panicd thinking electrocs would be fucked bit everythong was fine, was just a bit weird lol

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
I know what you guys are talking about because I've done the same myself. Thankfully mine only lasted 1/2second and didn't burn anything. It's because your steering collumb is -ve and the wire is +ve so you're creating a short to ground which is carrying a huge ammount of current (more than the wire can handle so the copper inside the wire heats up and sets the sheathing on fire)

You can still wire the horn up easily! I'll get some photos for you of how i've done it on my momo.