ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Momo Boss + wire = Fire

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you guys are talking about because I've done the same myself. Thankfully mine only lasted 1/2second and didn't burn anything. It's because your steering collumb is -ve and the wire is +ve so you're creating a short to ground which is carrying a huge ammount of current (more than the wire can handle so the copper inside the wire heats up and sets the sheathing on fire)

You can still wire the horn up easily! I'll get some photos for you of how i've done it on my momo.

ideal,look forward to this so i can wire mine

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
I know what you guys are talking about because I've done the same myself. Thankfully mine only lasted 1/2second and didn't burn anything. It's because your steering collumb is -ve and the wire is +ve so you're creating a short to ground which is carrying a huge ammount of current (more than the wire can handle so the copper inside the wire heats up and sets the sheathing on fire)

You can still wire the horn up easily! I'll get some photos for you of how i've done it on my momo.

That explains it then, the worst part is i have no wire atall now for the horn as it came off, so looks like il need the steering collum part from a donor car to be able to work the horn come mot time.

2050cc Corsa
any further info on wiring the horn up ? looking to fit an aftermarket wheel and dont want these issues

does the boss kit come with a plug in and play loom for the horn ?

cheers

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
if you dont want the fire, disconnect the battery. then wire the horn to the clip which will be on the new steering wheel instert..

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Still on the whole of this forum ther isnt a single thread explaining and showing pics how to wire this up

Titanium 182
It's fine, I removed my airbag with my battery connected twice now. Just made sure I wasn't in front of it :rasp: and my honr did exactly the same thing, didn't set on fire though just spat sparks everywhere ! :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You don't need a thread telling you how to do it, the wire is + the steering colum is - creating a short, so if the wire hits it, current, heat, fire.... etc......

All you have to do is disconnect the battery during fitting, and once you've fitted as per manufacturer's instructions, make sure there is no copper wire exposed and re connect battery when done.

182 cup
this happened to me when i fitted my new wheel last year. i must of damaged the wires as when i remove the wheel and horn button to test it, it works but when i put the button back in and the wheel back on it doesnt work! then i had a few times where the horn would just go off on its own when i was driving, not good when your driving past a school at 3:30 i tell you!!

ended up taking the fuse out and been trying to think of a solution before my MOT in july ever since

Sorry for bringing up an old thread anyway.