ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco.......uncertainty

E87 118d M Sport
I've owned the monaco 172 now for 5 and a half years and as much as it is a 10 years old french car that obviously has its flaws, I feel a strange attachment to it...but are unsure where to go with it next.

I remember thinking about selling it at the back end of 2010 (but was totally in love with the thing) http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...o-172-%96-53-plate-(2003)-Monaco-Blue-%A34695 and after starting a new job almost straight after listing it, which reduced my annual mileage to around 7000 mainly B road miles, it seemed silly to even consider losing it then.

After a few years and a few promotions I find myself doing a few miles for work now on occasions so thought about a diesel (and something a little more...professional) and then a good friend decided he would accept a secondment to Korea meaning he needed a quick sale resulting in a bit of a steal for a car I've kind of always wanted http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/m4rkie23/2010 detail/BMW1.png (sorry for the phone quality pic).

So now I'm in a sticky situation; do I sell the clio and part with it for a few grand, or keep a car that I will use on a few occasions a year which would mount up to costing more than a few quid, but have fun in the process.

I've read many track conversion threads on here over the years and always enjoy them, but could I do that to a car I've taken so much care over for so many years. Eek.

Thoughts? (oh, excluding the fact I may or may not need the money from the sale and I have a garage to keep it in so thats not an issue either)

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
If you can afford to keep it then keep it. I miss my 182 like hell, and in hindsight I regret selling it. It was beyond mint and for what I sold it for (£3500) it was worth more than the money to me. I'd love to have it for a car for the odd blast but unfortunately I don't have the space.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
i kept a 2nd car for the same reasons, but two lots of services, MOT's, both insurances and TAX I just couldn't justify the extra costs when used so little

Clio
If you can afford to keep it then keep it. I miss my 182 like hell, and in hindsight I regret selling it. It was beyond mint and for what I sold it for (£3500) it was worth more than the money to me. I'd love to have it for a car for the odd blast but unfortunately I don't have the space.

I remember that 182 . Best looking BG I'd ever seen

Ph2 172
I'd hang on to it mate, if you can afford it. You'd get very little for a 172 these days, say £2k max.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As already been said, if you can afford it then keep it. Maybe use it for the odd trackday or use it on sunny Sunday's for a little blast out.

Take it to your local meets etc, if you was to sell then you would only see around 2 - 2.5k.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Keep it. Mod it for track work, then track it / blast it on b-roads when it takes your fancy.

In truth you don't even need to mod it for it to perform well on track. It wil be good on track in standard form.

In terms of it being too nice to track, I don't understand why people say this. I always have track insurance so in my eyes no car (with the exception of rare classics) are 'too nice to track'. Not all track cars are sheds, you can have a well kept track car ;)

It looks to be a lovely Monaco from the photos and I think you will regret selling it for the meagre price you will get for it unfortunately.

I await the track based project thread :)