ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moods for mk1 1.8 16v

91 Renault Clio 16s
What's up guys?

I'm new to the forum, I was searching for some information about moods for the mk1 1.8 16v, but the post are a bit old and I wonder if there is new information about it...

I recently bought a 1991 Renault Clio 16s
IMG-20190821-WA0000.jpg

The car needs a "bit" of love, my initial goal is to bring it back to the original shape, exterior I already have a few parts and since I live in Canada and the car is in my original country, Portugal, and I'm only gonna be driving him next summer I want to start with the engine, I don't want to do a showroom car, but I don't want to do a track car as well...

Soo, my question is:

From your experience what do you think are the best moods for the f7p engine?

What's the best camshaft?

What's the best performance air filter for the original box?

I already have exhaust collectors from the williams.

I appreciate everyone who could help me...

Thank you very much...

Cool! I miss my 16v :(

Hopefully it is not too rusty - check behind the rear panel cards, so you can see the inside of the sills.

I'm not sure about the different air filters, but the camshafts are basically the only mod that will make any real difference (unless you turbocharge it).

I liked the standard engine - 137bhp is not a large amount, and the torque is much lower than the 2.0 Williams F7R, but less power means more time with your foot on the accelerator, and it is fun to rev! ;)

I would therefore suggest leaving the engine standard. Give it a complete service (cambelt etc.) and use decent 5W40 oil (NOT 'magnatec' - it hates it) and it should be just fine!

You could instead swap the Williams suspension parts onto the car - the original suspension will be tired now, so replacing with new OEM parts (if you can find them...) including bushes, should make it excellent fun to drive :)

91 Renault Clio 16s
White16valver, the car doesn't have rust, only some fiber glass leftovers from aftermarket exterior parts, for now I want to keep it as close as I can to the original, in the future I would like to give it my touch, but nothing crazy, some basics mods, but thanks for the honest opinion and feedback, I'm gonna start looking for the williams suspension! 👍

White16valver, the car doesn't have rust, only some fiber glass leftovers from aftermarket exterior parts, for now I want to keep it as close as I can to the original, in the future I would like to give it my touch, but nothing crazy, some basics mods, but thanks for the honest opinion and feedback, I'm gonna start looking for the williams suspension! 👍
This is an old thread but could be useful :)

I am sure that some parts are No Longer Available :( but hopefully the list is useful :)

I think you can use 172 Cup wishbones as an alternative, but you would need the correct versions:

I can't remember - it might be @NorthloopCup who has the 172 wishbones on his red 16v??

You will need longer brake lines with the Williams or 172 wishbones. Renault 19 16v lines were the solution in the past but I am not sure if they are available now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
This is an old thread but could be useful :)

I am sure that some parts are No Longer Available :( but hopefully the list is useful :)

I think you can use 172 Cup wishbones as an alternative, but you would need the correct versions:

I can't remember - it might be @NorthloopCup who has the 172 wishbones on his red 16v??

You will need longer brake lines with the Williams or 172 wishbones. Renault 19 16v lines were the solution in the past but I am not sure if they are available now.
I think you’re getting me mixed up with @Coops Mk1 mate

91 Renault Clio 16s
Thank you guys for your help...

I was thinking, in the future, change the font breaks for the ones of the 172, maybe I change the hole "wheels set up" for the 172. I'm only be able to drive the car in the next summer, and I really want to drive the car in the "original" version of himself, and after I'll see what kind of mods I'll be doing, in one way I will like to have a little monster, for other way I would like to keep it original, because it's already good enough for have fun on my summer vacation, or Sundays once I get back to Portugal...

What do you guys think about future value of this cars?
Because of Williams the Clio 16s will never have much collection value, or because is the base for the Williams, it can go up in value in the next 10/20 years?

P. S. : My English is not the best, if I say something that doesn't make sense, sorry...

Your English is excellent! It is better than some British people's English :LOL: lol

I don't think the 16v / 16s will ever reach the price of the Williams - prices have risen, and they might be even rarer than the Williams now(!), but the 'collectors' only want 'the best' :rolleyes:

That means we can still buy them for (almost) reasonable prices, which is good :)

They are fun as standard, and the Williams suspension makes them 'sharper' in the corners (IMO) so I hope you can drive it lots when you have fixed it :)