ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More Megane 225-ness..

133/225/CLS AMG
Well my Clio 172 which I was using as my daily driver had become a bit impractical for me. It was huge amounts of fun but noisy and with a little lady that needs chauffeuring about in it, not really ideal.

Went on the hunt for something bigger, similarly quick and fun and another 225 just took my fancy. Had a hunt round, there's some minters out there and some total munters.

Ended up texting a friend who owned one new just before I bought my inferno one. Turns out his brother had it and had put it up for sale 2 days previously. It was meant to be haha.

It's a 2005 with 40k on the clock, absolutely brilliant condition and not a mark on it (apart from normal stone chips and even they are minimal). The wheels are original and never been refurbished, the service history was spot on and the car had been serviced every 4k or so including all major services.

8_zps538de158.jpg

1_zps326b64e6.jpg

Interior_zps7b3c8936.jpg

4_zps7385dc26.jpg

5_zps76cc4b47.jpg

As you can see the car has a couple of external modifications in the forms of a carbon wrapped bonnet and RenaultSport decals down the side. Both of which I'm planning to remove at some point.

photo_zpsb9000073.jpg

Engine wise the car has a re-map so should be running in the region of 260-270bhp, also has a Forge dump valve and blanking plate fitted.

photo11_zps17fd094a.jpg

photo21_zps3b4586dc.jpg

Gear knob insert was worn so replaced it with this aftermarket one for £5 off someone on another forum.

photo1-3_zps9ad72267.jpg

photo4_zps46ba2302.jpg

Now been serviced and OEM flatblade wipers from the Phase II Megane 225 fitted.

photo21_zps4f39db9f.jpg

photo11_zps9aacbbb2.jpg

Replaced the 8 interior bulbs with LEDs which makes a huge difference at night.

Next on the list is to put on retention and then sell the frankly, rather gay private plate then buy another which is more relevant to the car....

Trophy04_zpse208f2a6.jpg

133/225/CLS AMG
Thank you mate, it really was a good find.

Don't get me wrong, the Megane II is an electrically fragile model, no doubt about it. The auto wipers/lights are showing a fault and the drivers side window stopped at one point but was just a loose connection to the regulator.

Otherwise though everything works and the car drives brilliantly. Last MOT had no advisories and the car has only been hand washed with Autoglym products.

Nice because it's a rare model as well and it has been well looked after. No reason why I can't do the same for a few more years. I just can't believe it's a 9 year old car!

133/225/CLS AMG
No clutch as yet or hub bearings as far as I'm aware.

Thing is because of the mileage I'm anticipating some of the things that would surface with a 60-80k car will cost me at some point.

Then again I'll hang onto it for a while I think :)

225 meg
No clutch as yet or hub bearings as far as I'm aware.

Thing is because of the mileage I'm anticipating some of the things that would surface with a 60-80k car will cost me at some point.

Then again I'll hang onto it for a while I think :)
well thats been the case with mine its been a money pit since I got it but tbh I love it so much....oh btw mines just looks identical to yours expect its a 5dr

133/225/CLS AMG
Well I certainly recommend them. One of those cars, especially the phase I 225 that's very much underestimated.

well thats been the case with mine its been a money pit since I got it but tbh I love it so much....oh btw mines just looks identical to yours expect its a 5dr

I suspect mine may cost me a few quid over the years but I love it as well. :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
lovely motor. . Great find I believe in fate although me making an offer and seller saying yes is fate for me ;)

133/225/CLS AMG
I think you'll find that Built-Not-Bought.co.uk is my forum/Facebook group and car club that I run so I'm entitled to have that in my avatar and on the sticker on my car. Also, the car isn't standard so the car isn't how it left the factory, so it was built and not bought........just by someone else.

lovely motor. . Great find I believe in fate although me making an offer and seller saying yes is fate for me ;)

Yeah it did seem like fate haha. Funny thing is I remember parking my other 225 next to his when I first got it. Now got them both parked up. :)

133/225/CLS AMG
Bit of an update on the Trophy.

The matt carbon wrap on the bonnet had started to perish badly, I know it had been on the car for at least 5 years but the car had been garaged for the last few years at least so I guess the wrap held up well because of it. Well in the 7 months I've had the car, the wrap had gone to sh!t and you could see gaps appearing.

I spent a couple of hours per night trying to remove it, was advise to heat it and peel it, no chance. Any heat applied caused the wrap to separate into tiny pieces and leave a thick layer of glue behind. :dapprove:

photo3_zpsef466238.jpg

photo1-3_zps4a8c51d9.jpg

So after much trying a friend who does smart repairs came up with a suggestion of a Caramel Wheel. Something I'd never heard of but it's like a giant pencil eraser on a drill bit. This started to remove the wrap but also the lacquer in the process. To be honest I was on the verge of booking it into a body shop anyway so this was a last ditch effort.

So after a clean up, this is how she's looking now.....

Scaled102_zps07e25b3a.jpg

Scaled811_zps18cf7782.jpg

Also de-badged the back end of the car, looks a lot tidier....

Scaled26_zps9c9b0800.jpg

Scaled15_zpsddadd950.jpg

133/225/CLS AMG
I must agree, the front end got softened up by the Phase II but I do like Phase II tail lights. Something I'd consider changing at some point.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Yeah it did get softened up I agree. Phase 2 lights do look better though. I was going to put them in mine before I started breaking it

133/225/CLS AMG
It's not just a case of swapping them is it? Isn't there an additional wiring loom needed or re-wiring?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Rewiring is a piece of piss - and a lot cheaper than the rip off conversion looms!

133/225/CLS AMG
Little bit of an update on the Trophy.

Headlight bulb went which as many will know is a right ballache so off with the bumper and replaced both bulbs and indicator bulbs. Opted for Philips indicator bulbs and Ring Xenon Ultimas for the headlights -

5ffbd9f2fd603132ecedf3436df454a1_zps348a9cd1.jpg

7cc8e89848eb5856ab963a45b11dacb8_zps972ee502.jpg

Next up on the agenda was tyres, which proved fun. I ordered some Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres for the rears as they'd be serving me well on the front. So went to my usual (normally to be trusted tyre fitter) to have them fitted. They chipped one of the wheels in doing so which meant the car ended up like this whilst one when off for a refurb -

IMG_1838_zps249e1d32.jpg

Then just rub salt in the wound, I found this in one of the brand new tyres just three weeks after fitting!! So had to order another tyre. :(

FF82E35F-5491-4914-86E1-BA387BAF8D5D_zpsxzkmueev.jpg

On a positive note whilst one wheel was being repaired, I had a spared 'full fat' Megane 225 alloy powder coated and fitted with a cheap budget tyre as a spare for my Trophy. The wheel was originally bought as a spare for my other Megane but had sat untouched for years so thought it would be put to good use as a spare in this car -

11C656E6-D9E9-4604-909C-49FBDB606B90_zpswc5yaqpk.jpg

Prior to all the wheel hassle, I had the car detailed by a friend of mine who runs Divine Detail. After two days work, including claying, machine polishing, wheels off, arches cleaned, two layers of sealant, one coat of wax and an interior detail, she looks like new.....

16_zps991707e4.jpg

18_zpscbc555f7.jpg

17_zpscb19c685.jpg

22_zpsb1443d79.jpg

4_zpsc2730b2b.jpg

Also, on a whim last week decided to have the front end blown over. After having the bonnet sprayed last year and it being chip free, the bumper then showed it's age by comparison so that's now chip free -

322608C6-8E29-4AEF-9D0D-12F3C04FB73C_zpsgo6d9fkj.jpg

Also had the back box removed by PowerFlow down in Brighton, nothing too lairy but frees up the noise of the car very nicely without it sounding chavvy.

Oh, and lastly treated it to a new turbo which arrived today ;)

Turbo_zps1dop2uuh.jpg

133/225/CLS AMG
Thanks mate. It still has the decals on the side which actually I kinda like although I'm not worried if I eventually take them off. They're doing a decent job of protecting the bottom half of the doors/wings though.

Cars running brilliantly and still surprises me at how quick it is but it's due the second (dreaded) cambelt change towards the end of this year so a trip to Rentec me thinks.

133/225/CLS AMG
If you're prepared for a few little niggles, which I guess is the case for most older cars anyway, they're great.

Even a non Cup 225 is a cracking drive. If you like how an RS Clio of the same era drives, then a 225 feels like a bigger faster one just a bit less chuckable.

133/225/CLS AMG
Make it happen mate haha Just make sure the cambelt has been done within the last two years then you'll have 3 years of cheapish motoring.