ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MORE POWER - Clio 200

Clio 200 Black and White
I've just fitted some R888's to my Clio and now more than ever it feels like it could handle an extra 50 or 60 horsepower.

What are my options to get there?

Are there any off-the-shelf packages available?

What can I expect if I go the NA route (and what would it involve) vs Turbo?

320d
As far as i'm aware there is no off the shelp options for the 197 or 200. Its taken untill the 1*2 is 10 years old before there is a lot of off the shelp options. Its only really the last 2 years that forced induction has become common.

Italian 3.2 V6
Usual things really, forced induction as said above. exhaust n decat and remap, not sure if cams are out yet for the 200? Also matching inlets, thAt's a common things on 1*2's and ino 197 inlets can be bad but don't know about 200's... Maby some1 else can shed some light on the inlets and cams.

You'll maby get anything between 8-20bhp from all the above :S

PSJ.

Clio 200 Black and White
there really ought to be more support - these are hugely popular cars and the Clio 3 RS can clearly handle much more power. Something around the 250-300 BHP should be quite manageable from a chassis point of view, it would destroy an FRS with that kind of grunt.

So far the only things I've seen are exhausts, filters, cams and some ECU tuning.

Anyone have experience with decent gains on a 197 or 200?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bic is having his supercharged by jamsport at the moment I believe, should be interesting.

Madusa, have you got any pics of your car? Considering going down the black/white route.

Clio 200 Black and White
16bhp? that must be a joke surely?

very interested to see the supercharged 200 - seems like a good approach (keeps the same NA-style power delivery, no turbo lag, etc) and should get to pretty decent gains without too much internal work.

I uploaded some photos a while back - search for them under my profile. black and white = awesome colour scheme for the 200.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Bic is having his supercharged by jamsport at the moment I believe, should be interesting.
This is true!

jam and Bic are hoping for 300bhp on standard internals.

Some progress pcitures of the project thus far :D

Also now has Eibach springs and Milltek exhaust cat back, mapping of the ecu begins this week now the prototype installation is complete

sc5.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc4.jpg

reardiffuser4.jpg

thanks

Bic

182 Cup
As nice as it would be have the extra horses, I fear it would be a pointless exercise. You'd be much better off just trading the 200 in for an R26.R.

Clio 200 Black and White
that looks awesome. anyone know the link to the project thread?

If the price isn't too unrealistic and there is some sort of guarantee of reliability I would order one of these kits for sure.

300 BHP on standard internals???? Impressive stuff.

Actually, I think the 200 is a better base car than the Megane - it's smaller and lighter yet shares much the same suspension geometry, hubs, brakes, etc. with the right power it could be much more dramatic than the R26R

182 Cup
Actually, I think the 200 is a better base car than the Megane - it's smaller and lighter yet shares much the same suspension geometry, hubs, brakes, etc. with the right power it could be much more dramatic than the R26R

But, at what cost? My point isn't about anything other than price.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's on clio197.net. I'll copy and paste it over if you put some pictures of your car up;).

320d

The Megane isn't heavier though, they're the same weight. The Clio also doesn't have a LSD either. The Megane is also already boosted so it is much easier to tune. Stage 2 will give nearly 280bhp and over 320lbft. Then there are other options up to 300bhp.

The Clio on the other hand is cheaper to buy, you can have a new one for cheaper than a second hand R26R. Its also got a proper interior and glass windows. However your looking at having to spend a fair bit to get the power upgrades, it will still need an LSD (or at least benefit from one) and it won't be as good in the corners as the R.

Personally i'd take the R26R because all it needs is stage 2 and it will be completely awesome. However a SC 200 isn't far behind.

Stagecoach Ticket
Yeah but inside the R26R it's...well s**t really.

Could install a fireplace and leather sofa to the inside of the R26R for cheaper than getting 300bhp from a clio 200

If you can get cams designed for the 200 yet call up a cam company and get them to re work your standard cams to fast road/race cams
other than that

maps
exhaust
inlets
decat
induction
weight reduction/general tweeking

still dnt see the point though mate why not buy a dog 172 rip it to bits and work on that no shite trying to control the car if you shunt it o well only worth same as ur 200 wheels so u can push it harder

and keep ur 200 for an everyday driver that way it will retain value better and still be fun on the way to work

MCS R56
Yeah but inside the R26R it's...well s**t really.

I suppose it depends what you want from a car. I could live with it, I think, as I rarely use the back seats. Just chuck in a stereo and that'd do! Has it got harnesses? Couldn't be ersed with them.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
just make it lighter.

mods i would do are.
carbon bonnet
strip the rear out
coilovers
cams
remap
itg filter
exhaust
decat

on your onto a winner, if u wanted a car with 250bhp u should of got a megane.

clios arnt about straightline speed, more about how it goes round a corner, get it on coilovers

Clio 200 Black and White
I'm aware of all the usual arguments - why not get a R26R, why not chop it in for an M3, why not get a 172 shed, etc etc.

Simple point is I really enjoy my 200 on road and track and quite fancy looking at some options for getting more from it in the future. The fact that it's uncharted territory to a large extend makes it all the more engaging.

I also beleive there is a lot of untapped potential in the 200. To the comment that it's the same weight as the R26R; if you stripped out a 200 to the same extent at the R, you would happily get it down to around 1080kg, at which point it would come pretty close to matching the R even on the standard engine (cornering speeds would be similar as well assuming both cars wear the same tyres). Throw a charger or some NA tuning into the equation and you have genuine supercar performance that's hugely accessible on road and track.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
That's not what you were saying when you wanted to charge your 200.

untill i realised it was a MASSIVE waste of money and time and i wouldnt be able to sell it for anywhere near whats its worth when its charged. get an r26r ffs

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
To the comment that it's the same weight as the R26R; if you stripped out a 200 to the same extent at the R, you would happily get it down to around 1080kg, at which point it would come pretty close to matching the R even on the standard engine (cornering speeds would be similar as well assuming both cars wear the same tyres)

the exit speed of the r26r will always be more than the 200 due to the LSD. it didnt set the fastest lap time on the 'ring for nothing you know

Clio 200 Black and White
Again, this is not about R26R Vs Clio 200, I'm just interested to see what the options are for the Clio.

Ibrench - you think the 200 would be faster on coilovers? I'm not convinced, why would that be?? I would trust renaultsport's chassis engineers slightly more than most tuners / coilover manufacturers...

Clio 200 Black and White
the exit speed of the r26r will always be more than the 200 due to the LSD. it didnt set the fastest lap time on the 'ring for nothing you know

I know I said it's not a 200 Vs R26R post, but clearly you could fit an LSD to the Clio (you would need to with 300 BHP). Then you'd have the corner exit speed as well...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Again, this is not about R26R Vs Clio 200, I'm just interested to see what the options are for the Clio.

Ibrench - you think the 200 would be faster on coilovers? I'm not convinced, why would that be?? I would trust renaultsport's chassis engineers slightly more than most tuners / coilover manufacturers...
Sorry to disagree massively, but I do! As with engine tuning, Renault are bound by compromise. They can't go too extreme with the suspension setup, as they'd reduce the potential market for the car, and these cars are built to a cost at the end of the day!
KW V3's would be a definite improvement.

The 'exit' speed always being higher is frankly, garbage. A higher apex speed will lead to a higher speed coming out of a corner, LSD or not!

And not to echo Warren's point too much, but with your reasoning why would Clio Cup cars run coilovers instead of standard shocks and springs . . . ?

Clio 200 Black and White
well clearly if you only use the car on track then decent track biased suspension will make a difference, but I don't reckon you could do much to improve the road / track handling / ride balance renaultsport have put together.

granted, adjustable coilies give you more options to tailor the set up to specific requirements.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
well clearly if you only use the car on track then decent track biased suspension will make a difference, but I don't reckon you could do much to improve the road / track handling / ride balance renaultsport have put together.

granted, adjustable coilies give you more options to tailor the set up to specific requirements.
You can. There's all sorts of constraints placed on the engineers from regulations, marketing dept, NVH dept etc. It will be a compromise, built to a cost. No arguments tbh!

It depends on how much cushioning your backside has ;) My 1.2 had no go, but handled like an Elise due to coilovers, spacers, tyres and solid top mounts. But Renault couldn't have released it in this form as my mother would have hated it.

But I'm just repeating Warren.

Clio 200 Black and White
If you've ever driven an elise, you'll know that of crucial importance to it's epic handling is the supple ride.

Good handling is about more than just stiffening everything up. Indeed if the 200 was any less compliant it would be too jittery for road use.