ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More steering lock on one side than other

Clio 172 Sport
Afternoon,
I've recently had some work done on the Clio including new wishbones, ball joints, front struts and track rods.
Had the wheel alignment done on it straight after.
I've now noticed that I'm now getting more steering lock to the right than left. As a knock on affect I'm getting a grinding noise on full right lock. Had a look and can see the alloy is clearly now rubbing.

Any ideas how this has happened and how to resolve it?

Any help is welcome.

Cheers
Luke

172 Ph1
How is this done?

Had it up on ramps and can see the sub frame has been off recently and hasn't been put back in its original position. Could this affect it?

Yes that could affect it , but only by a very small amount .

I suspect the tracking adjustment is the culprit.

What you need to do is find the centre of your rack.

Are you in the know how to do your own repairs - or do you have someone do it for you ?

Clio 172 Sport
Yes that could affect it , but only by a very small amount .

I suspect the tracking adjustment is the culprit.

What you need to do is find the centre of your rack.

Are you in the know how to do your own repairs - or do you have someone do it for you ?

I'm not too bad at repairs...how do you centre the rack?

172 Ph1
I'm not too bad at repairs...how do you centre the rack?

Raise the vehicles front wheels off the ground , then proceed to loosen the steering wheel , remove the airbag if you have one .
You say to much lock one side .
So the side that has to much lock , the wheel needs to be removed ever so slightly just to release the splines and moved 3 splines in the opposite direction .
At this point I am going to say "you will need the tracking re aligned" after you have centralised the rack.

Ok , so 3 splines have been moved . Now place the wheel at the 12 o'clock ahead central position . Now measure the turns to the right in degrees of angle . IE 1 complete turn and the a further half and then a little bit more . Make a note of this .
No see if you can achieve the same on the other side .
If still uneven , move the wheel off the splines in 1 by 1 amounts until you achieve the same turns on one side and the same on the other .

Once this is done , refit all back together.

Then tell your tracking place to only adjust the tracking with the steering wheel locked in the 12 o'clock up ahead position . Only then can it be central still and straight ahead .
It might take them a few times to get it right , but do not let them make adjustments to the rack unless the wheel is 100% straight ahead ok. [emoji1303]

172 Ph1
They have a keyway so can't be taken off and put on wherever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fair enough .
The principle still applies .
Find the centre , which will be a lot easier now as it can't be moved , so the track rod ends have to adjusted to create the centre point. Find a decent tracking centre , explain your concerns and then they should be able to sort it.
Good luck [emoji6]