ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Most possibly a silly question reguarding oil coolers

RenaultSport 172
Hi,
I've just bought a 13 row mocal oil cooler for my 172.
Now i'm planning to do an oil change at the same time, with the oil cooler fitted will I need to put more oil into the car?
Silly question I know, but i'm not 100% sure.

thanks in advance. :)

Lionel Richie
yeah you will, only a bit more, just check the dip stick

chuck in around 4.5L to start with

if its got a thermostatic plate you'll have to get it hot, then turn off the engine and top up to the max mark

RenaultSport 172
yeah you will, only a bit more, just check the dip stick

chuck in around 4.5L to start with

if its got a thermostatic plate you'll have to get it hot, then turn off the engine and top up to the max mark

Cheers, Fred much appreciated :cheers:

sorry to go of course, but how much was the oil cooler? and what are they like to fit?

Got it brand new from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400082107552

got it all including the thermostat for £141 delievered.
Don't want to say much else but it's £9 cheaper than a certain groupbuy ;)

As for fitting it looks easy enough, remove filter put the plate in new filter on top of that and attach the hose's and mount the cooler to something :D

ibiza cupra
what are the benifits of haveing an oil cooler. have got got more mods or is it worth doing to an almost standard engine?

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
not really worth it on a standard engine better things money could be spent on

if you do a lot of trackdays - hard days etc might be worth it

worth it on more tuned engines i.e cammed / itbs

i would say a must for any forced induction set up and def worth it cammed & itb'd together

clio 200 F4Rt
you should fill the oil cooler with oil, and the pipe work.

As when the thermostat opens there will be nothing in the pipes/cooler.

This could lead to the engine being starved of oil.... not ideal.

Lionel Richie
tis the uber safe (and messy!) way of doing it, but the capacity of the lines and cooler isn't that much, half a litre tops

on an F4R you be fine, just let it warm up sensibly

Another stupid question to add to this.

When fitting, you take the oil filter off, attach the Thermostat thingy that the kit comes with, will just the oil in the filter come out when removing it?

Dont want to be replacing all my oil again really.

ValverInBits
you should fill the oil cooler with oil, and the pipe work.

As when the thermostat opens there will be nothing in the pipes/cooler.

This could lead to the engine being starved of oil.... not ideal.
this.
I would

ValverInBits
Make sure all your lines are the right length and your ready to fit. Remove the cooler from it's mountings and get it as low as possible. With both lines connected to the cooler, fill the cooler through one of the lines then connect it to the thermo-plate when you get it as full as you can without spillage.

Just to bump this rather than starting a new thread, ill be fitting mine soon.

Is there anything wrong with mounting the oil cooler with the pipes underneath rather than on top?

As i think ill be mounting it infront of the radiator just behind the front grill, looking at it itll be easier if i can mount it with the pipes coming from underneath the cooler.

Noob question i know, but dont wanna be f**king with oil :)

M

mini-valver

No either way is fine mate. Mine are upside down, just make sure you dont mount it mega low and hit a kerb ;)

Clio 172 turbo
iv got the same kit , iv mounted it but not pluged it all in yet lol as im adapting a temperature sensor into the system as i have a gauge inside the car , and also you will be able to fit it all and then add oil after i think as its got to go through the pipes and cooler before it gets to the thermostat so its not like you will b runing it upto 80 degrees before having to add more oil and wont b starving it ,if that makes sense , and i found i had to mount the cooler with the pipes at the bottom as there was not enough room to mount them at the top