ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Difficulties - Advice/Help Needed!

RB 182
I've hit a bit of a problem.

At the moment, my car is decat so would fail the usual emissions on an MOT.

I have the cat, but for some reason, it is way too small to fit in the gap that would normally fit the cat (if that makes sense), so something is missing!

I found a garage that would do my MOT with the cat OFF (personal friend) and find a way to pass it..

BUT, i've hit a rather large problem. My car doesn't fit on the MOT ramp.. it's too low.

The combination of 40mm apex springs and 15" PH1 OZ F1's + splitter make it bottom out at the front on the RR and the jack wont fit under the front when on the ramp!

So quite simply, i've got a place where i can get it MOT'd, but it'll fail.. or a place where it'll pass but i can't get it MOT'd!!!!

SO, i need some 16" wheels to stick on the front, a cat or some taller springs. And to make it worse, all the garages are now closed until the MOT is due! (3rd Jan) :dapprove:

I just thought i'd share my problem, as i'm hoping someone may have some advice for me or may even be able to lend a hand.

If it helps.. i'm down in the Grantham/Nottingham area from the 29th-1st of January to see some friends for new year, then back at work on the 2nd back up in Scarborough.

Any advice or help would be massively appreciated.. as the personal friend was my last resort really, so i've hit a horrible dead end!

...oh, and try not to laugh at my misfortune too much, ha.

Siddle

RB 182
see that's what i thought!

but to test the brakes you've got to have it on the rollers don't you?

and it bottomed out big time when we tried to get it in.

if i'm honest... i'm not actually sure what the exhaust is. a few people have looked at it but everyone's said different! some said Miltek, some said Scorpion. there's no stamp on it though, i've checked that!

sounds nice though.. whatever it is, ha :approve:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The MOT centre I go to drives the car to test brakes as they're not set up for 4wd ..

There's always ways around things.

This ^

All test stations should he a decelerometer to test 4WD cars, they can use that on yours

RB 182
it's just the issue i have about the CAT though boys!

i don't have a cat to fit to the car (that fits anyway), so it wont pass emissions.

so my 'personal friend' could pass it, it just won't fit on his machine :dapprove:

i'm definitely hoping i find someone to test it with optimistic views like yours though, there'll definitely be a way around it! just takes a bit of effort!

Clio 197
it's just the issue i have about the CAT though boys!

i don't have a cat to fit to the car (that fits anyway), so it wont pass emissions.

so my 'personal friend' could pass it, it just won't fit on his machine :dapprove:

i'm definitely hoping i find someone to test it with optimistic views like yours though, there'll definitely be a way around it! just takes a bit of effort!

Does your friend not have a machine for 4WD testing though?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not that I would condone this but........ Surely if he's that good of a friend he could pass it without it ever going on the ramp? Dangerous for him though, especially if VOSA decided to do a spot check that day!

RB 182
i think that's why we decided to leave it.

fair enough passing the MOT with emissions spare, but 'faking' the whole thing is a different story i guess!

1.2 clio
^^^^ what he said personal friend... If he's doing you a dodgy with a decay if sure if you whip the bumper off quick to do the brakes he'd be cool with it.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Bung him £50 and your V5 - V5 and New MOT cert returns. Bosch.

RB 182
Bung him £50 and your V5 - V5 and New MOT cert returns. Bosch.

Really wish it was that simple! ha.

a little bit of an update.. the previous owner has the other part of the CAT that would make it 'fit'.

SO, the new plan is to just fit the CAT and hope & pray it passes.

Obviously the new problem is finding time for him to fit the CAT before the MOT on the side!

RB 182
But i mean if anyone fancies helping me out that is near the Nottingham area over new year.. i'd be more than willing to travel if it's guaranteed to pass the MOT!:hail:

Pints would definitely be on me. :cheers:

Clio 1.2
Block the exhaust up slightly with steel wool or something that can slow the emissions and not get blown out when they test it at the higher revs

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Block the exhaust up slightly with steel wool or something that can slow the emissions and not get blown out when they test it at the higher revs

Good way to heat a cat up and make it more efficient, but not much use if you dont have a cat, it still wont pass.

I used to take my bumper off for getting my tracking done and getting my mot,standard procedure ha.

They can test it on the road if its to low, they did this with my mates civic no problem.

RB 182
Update on this - i'm screwed again.

The place where i was going to get it tested normally with the CAT on has now told me they don't want anything to do with me because i tried to 'bodge' it through at another garage. Great.

So i'm left with a CAT, an 'adapter' for the CAT, and a low car.

The mot is due on friday, (also my birthday - lulz), so it looks like i'll be leaving it off the road until i can sort something out :(

My first step is to ring the 'personal friend' back and ask him if he can stick it on planks and test the brakes on the road.

Fingers crossed!

RB 182
NEW PLAN -

i'm finding two 16" wheels with normal/fat tyres on to stick on the front of the car.

Hopefully the extra 2 inches will give it the clearance it needs!

So if anyone close to Scarborough has two 4x100 16" + wheels with any tyres on them, can i borrow them please :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What tyre profile do you have currently?

I fail to see how any 16" tyre is going to give you 2" more height, unless got such a massive sidewall that it would end up rubbing which is an MOT fail anyway.

RB 182
What tyre profile do you have currently?

I fail to see how any 16" tyre is going to give you 2" more height, unless got such a massive sidewall that it would end up rubbing which is an MOT fail anyway.

i've got 195/15/45 on now, but the garage said 16" would cut it!

just take it to our MOT place, no ramp, it can't be that low!

that's what i thought!

but even if i came to you, there's still the issue of getting it through the emissions!

i've got it booked in for Saturday morning, and i've got a pair or 205/16/45or50 (he can't remember) to put on.

so fingers crossed!

thanks for getting back to me though boys, appreciate that.

RB 182
That will only be 1/2 an inch higher, but fingers crossed thats enough then mate.

Thanks Chip :approve:

that's not normally an issue, the air in b'ham is a lot cleaner so all cars pass ;)

hahahaha, i'll remember that in future. i'm sure it'll be worth the journey from Scarborough!

it's all booked and sorted for Saturday at 9am, and i've got a full set of 16'' pro race's to put on now.

really appreciate your help as well though boys, glad to see some people don't ignore idiots like me, ha!