ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Emisions Test Failure

ClioSport 182
Hello,

I am quite new here, been reading the forums for a while without posting anything, so hi.

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice, I own a 182 and it recently failed its MOT on Emissions. The values were WAY over and I have read various stories on here about engine not being warmed up properly or MOT testers being lazy and not taking the engine temp etc. Basically I am wondering if anyone can diagnose a problem just from my results, such as a hole in the exhaust rather than a dreaded catalytic converter fault, or something equally expensive. Id like to have a little bit of background info before I take it in if that's ok, any help will be appreciated

FAST IDLE
CO: <0.20% Mine is 7.96%
HC: <200ppm 448ppm
γ: 0.970-1.030 0.800

2nd FAST IDLE
CO: <0.20% 7.75%
HC: <200ppm 469ppm
γ: 0.970-1.030 0.802

NAT IDLE
CO: <0.30% 7.30%

At the top of the print out it reads 'Engine Speed Measurement By-Passed' and 'Engine Oil Temp Measurement By-Passed'

Thanks

Clio 197
was the engine fully warmed up before it was tested, if not you could be looking for a solution for a problem that doesnt exist once warmed up.

Is your exhaust standard?

Did they give you any pointers as to what to look at as i assume they also had a look underneath as part of the MOT

ClioSport 182
Well I am suspicious they didn't warm the engine up. Had it booked in for 1:45 and when I asked when it would be ready he um and arrd and said about 2:30. I went back 2:35 and I think it had just been done, the read out on the sheet said 1:25.. obviously there clock was faulty and perhaps meant 2:25. However, the read outs state engine temp bypassed and oil temp bypassed which makes me suspicious. It has a standard exhaust on and I have had a look under for any holes or anything but cant find anything obvious.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
isn't there something as well that the other exhaust exit on the 182 needs to have a rag stuffed in it or something?
am i talking out of my arse? someone will confirm.

Well and truly lol

Just give it some stick and kane the F**K out of it prior to mot, stick some octane booster in the tank to give it a clean and should be fine, cold engines do not run as clean as hot ones is all.

Clio 197
Well I am suspicious they didn't warm the engine up. Had it booked in for 1:45 and when I asked when it would be ready he um and arrd and said about 2:30. I went back 2:35 and I think it had just been done, the read out on the sheet said 1:25.. obviously there clock was faulty and perhaps meant 2:25. However, the read outs state engine temp bypassed and oil temp bypassed which makes me suspicious. It has a standard exhaust on and I have had a look under for any holes or anything but cant find anything obvious.

I always like to get the first appointment of the day (Saturday) that way I can sit in my car with the engine running or already warned up. Same applies if you have a specific time slot too. Sounds to me that they might have been a bit lazy.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Well and truly lol

Just give it some stick and kane the F**K out of it prior to mot, stick some octane booster in the tank to give it a clean and should be fine, cold engines do not run as clean as hot ones is all.

No he isn't. If the results suggest there is a leak this can be caused by the twin exit exhaust. A wet rag up one pipe can fix this.

I knew it!

OP: Make sure she's nice and warm, and block off one of the exits. Here at least in NI (where MOT testing is done by DVLANI themselves) you HAVE to have your engine to temp while you wait for your MOT test, specifically because a cold engine will give falsely high readings on emissions. You have to sit and queue up, engine running.

Last edited:
​Where did you get your car MOT'd? Did they not offer you any solution? I wouldn't worry about the engine temp or speed measurements, most people use the rev meter for speed and common sense/temp gauge for temp.

Personally I'd plug that in and take a look at your lambda and ect readings.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
No he isn't. If the results suggest there is a leak this can be caused by the twin exit exhaust. A wet rag up one pipe can fix this.

Lol at you being such a bodger. How about fix things properly? What happens if your advice caused the rag to combust, smoke? Be great at the mot.

Seriously people here are not after this bs advice.

182 ff
your lambda sensor mite of gone, one of mine did,mine failed,
even after good drive out before and adding red x.
I replaced both and the spring/mani /cat.
passed easy and felt like a new car and saves fuel.

I take my to a council place(where taxis have to go)
they cost abit more, but don't try to find faults.(I cant trust a back street garage )(free resits)
they told me why it failed and what the reason could be.
it took nearly 2 hours to do the mot.

Last edited:
  Titanium ph1 turbo
Does your car rough idle much?... I had recent emissions failure on MOT.. computer diagnostics was saying CO2 sensor.. anyway to cut a long story short I changed the upstream lambda sensor and it passed no problem.. also seemed to smooth out the rough idling I had previously.

Yar amos is right, i believe the official way to do it though is to measure each one and work out the average from them, but cloth is easier.

ClioSport 182
*UPDATE*

Thank you for all your suggestions and I am pleased to say this has a positive outcome. After reading your suggestions, checking under the car for any holes in the exhaust etc I took it to another garage for some tests. Driving it there I made sure I gave it a good 'clean out', and the testing proved that there was nothing wrong with the emissions what so ever. I subsequently booked it in for an MOT test with the garage and it came through the MOT no trouble at all, all value being bang on.

Just goes to show there are some dodgy MOT testers out there