ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT fail...

Clio Sport 172
my girlfriends car just failed the mot on Park Brake efficiency. It says " RBT Park Brake efficiency: 10%"...Parking brake below requirements (3.7.A.9/10). Does that mean that when they check the handbrake on the rollers it aint holding enough? I had a look at the shoes yesterday and it was about 2-3mm shoe material on them but looking very glazed, wil replacing the shoes solve this fail?

Storm Grey 200
Most probably needs tightening.

Either under the downpipe heatshield or in the cabin by the handbrake. My last clio had effeicenty of like 4% lols

what's your girlfriend's car?

could be a handbrake cable compensator problem (may be a stretched cable on one side) or problem with the drum/shoes/handbrake mech

Honda Integra Type R
Best to remove the Drums. Clean up the Shoes and Adjust them up using the adjuster. Then Adjust up the Handbrake from underneath the Car, by removing the Heatshield

Clio Sport 172
sorry guys it aint a clio its a corsa, just a general question regarding the fail..my misses said the mechanic nentioned "shoes", its like chinese wisper getting info from her...;)

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
you will probally need to just adjust the shoes, but check wheel cylinders are not leaking or siezed. also try not to overadjust vauxhall brakes as they tend overheat quicker than most cars.

Clio Sport 172
i inspected them yesterday because when the handbrake is released it sticks, as if the shoes are binding to the hub. The hubs were a right pain to remove, when i finally removed them they were really dusty and smelt like burnt brakes. Shoes had lots of material on them but looked glazed and tired, i then cleaned then removing the dust, cylindes showed no leaks, nice and dry.. Steps i took to adjust them/handbrake..slackened handbrake cable right off (wheels off jacked up), adjusted both shoes so the hubs rotated with light resistance, pulled handbrake up 3 clicks then tightened the cable up til it started getting tight on the handbrake..now it comes up acout 5-6 clicks where it holds, is this correct?

Honda Integra Type R
i inspected them yesterday because when the handbrake is released it sticks, as if the shoes are binding to the hub. The hubs were a right pain to remove, when i finally removed them they were really dusty and smelt like burnt brakes. Shoes had lots of material on them but looked glazed and tired, i then cleaned then removing the dust, cylindes showed no leaks, nice and dry.. Steps i took to adjust them/handbrake..slackened handbrake cable right off (wheels off jacked up), adjusted both shoes so the hubs rotated with light resistance, pulled handbrake up 3 clicks then tightened the cable up til it started getting tight on the handbrake..now it comes up acout 5-6 clicks where it holds, is this correct?

problably 3-4 clicks would be about right

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
^yeah thats right, they probally just need some more adjusting the pass mark is 16% i think

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
yeah mate theres a little adjuster between the shoes and you turn i always do 2 clicks then try the drum and so on. that i dont over do it.

Honda Integra Type R
Dont do it from the Drums because u have said that uve adjusted it up already until there is some resistance. If you adjust it up anymore they will bind. Just give it a few more turns from the Adjuster inside the Car

Honda Integra Type R
^ that de adjusts it from the shoes and normally makes it even worse

How can that de-adjust the shoes?

Use the Adjuster under the handbrake cover.

He has maximum adjustment at the brake shoes. so if he adjusts them even more the wheel will bind if he manages to get the drum over the shoes

Clio Sport 172
does anyone know the pass mark (%) for the park brake efficiency? Am I correct in thinking that it failed with 10% as it was not holding enough?