ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure if back seats are removed?

Clio 182 Cup (2004)
Morning All,

I've made the decision to start preparing my Clio 182 for the track... 1st easy job it to remove the rear seats? Before I do this, does anybody know if this would be a MOT failure as I want to keep this road legal?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Be sure to do the seatbelts too though. Some testers get funny about there being no rear seats but still seatbelts intact.
This. They'll probably put an advisory if seat belts are still there, but to be honest, they shouldn't test if the seats aren't there. I had the rear seats removed my Peugeot because it was in between jobs, and there was nothing noted.
Presumably if you're stripping it for the track then the seat belts will go too. Won't be a problem. If there were seats and no belts, then you'd be in a pickle.
The bottoms just lift off. Not actually sure about the tops, but I'm sure it's just a few bolts.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
One tester put 'rear seats missing' once, another one told me if I had rear seatbelts but no holders it was a fail, so for years I used to put the holders and the seat back in for the mot, the tester I use now told me 'if it ain't fitted I can't test it' so I don't bother putting anything back in for the mot and he passes it every time, depends on the tester tbh.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Had an MOT with no rear seats.

You need to remove the rear seat belts though, or the tester won't be happy as someone can still attempt to sit in there. With no rear seat belts, their arse is covered at the time of the test that you've blatently removed the rear seats.

It will appear as an advisory on your MOT report though. This is also reflected on your car history online (obviously).