ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure - Steering rack. Is it much of a job?

Clio 1.8 16v & WRX STi
Late last year my brother gave me his Clio as he needed something bigger for the family but didn't really want to part with the car. On saturday I had an MOT done on it to see what kind of condition it was in.

IMG_3604sm.jpg

Most of the stuff is minor and really easy to fix, however I haven't a clue when it comes to the steering rack and would like an idea of how difficult it is / time consuming for the garage to repair.

I have not driven it much but I can see why my brother didn't want to let it go entirely (he has borrowed it from time to time!), its a cracking little car and I would really like to get it on the road.

Apart from a little play in the steering wheel it seems a sound car. The body work needs a little work as there is some minor rusting here and there but the interior is just like new!

IMG_3605sm.jpg

IMG_3608sm.jpg

Has anyone made this repair to their car or had it done?

Last edited:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Play in the steering, you sure its the rack mate? On both my old wiliams and valver, it just needed the column welded..

as this pic shows..

column.jpg

Clio 1.8 16v & WRX STi
Play in the steering, you sure its the rack mate? On both my old wiliams and valver, it just needed the column welded..

I was going by the advice from the MOT station tbh. I will strip it down and have a look myself now. Thanks for the heads up!

Is this a common problem on these cars?

Fiesta ST
Yeah common problem mate. I didn't weld mine, just bought a new rack and column when it came to the cruch. :)

1.8 RSi MK1 Superchipped
with mine I just used a self tapping screw... basicly enough to wedge it in place really... might get my mate to weld it up though I guess, lol.

Clio 1.8 16v & WRX STi
Thanks for the help chaps. I will strip it down tommorow afternoon when I am off work and see whats what.