ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure...

172 cup
Sorry for the strange question but I have my mot due next week and wanted to know where I stand if it fails! Due to getting married and the honeymoon money's a bit tight, where do I stand if I keep the car on the road outside my house? I'll still be paying insurance and its taxed! But was thinking without Mot does it make it invaled! I won't be driving the car but will be outside my house!

Thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The question is . Why are you worried it might fail ? You know of some existing problem?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
No MoT does not automatically invalidate insurance or tax. Perfectly fine to leave it parked on the road, just don't drive it except back to the MoT station for a pre-booked retest or to a garage for the required repairs.

Given the numbers of uninsured cars out there never mind the number of cars without valid MoT's the chances of a pull for it are vanishingly small anyway. Not that I'm recommending that but it's the reality.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
As an example but was driven then broke down.

He broke down in the works van, side of the road etc. Copper goes past and pings up he has not mot, £100 fine. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I have my mot due next week and wanted to know where I stand if it fails
At the bus stop? ;)

If you're getting it tested before the current MOT expires then the current MOT will still be valid even if it fails the test. Depending what it failed on you could still end up in a spot of bother if the car isn't roadworthy though.

Driving a car with no MOT is legal under certain circumstances, but check what your insurance policy says as well.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If you're getting it tested before the current MOT expires then the current MOT will still be valid even if it fails the test. Depending what it failed on you could still end up in a spot of bother if the car isn't roadworthy though.

This is no longer the case now, as soon as it fails then the current MOT is no longer valid.

mk1 Octavia VRS
This is no longer the case now, as soon as it fails then the current MOT is no longer valid.
Source?

Gov.uk website seems to say otherwise:
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:
  • have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

That says the failure will be recorded and that you can take your vehicle away if the current certificate is still valid. Nothing mentioned about invalidating the existing MOT or it being illegal.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Mate who's a tester, not disagreeing with the part about being able to take away and return to test station, however previous certificate is then no longer valid. At least thats what he told me a couple of month ago. I'll see if I can get something concrete out of him over the weekend

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
It's a very complicated question to answer

But basically,
Forget calling it an 'MoT Certificate' for a start, its more of a proof of inspection
a passenger carrying motor vehicle or commercial vehicle under 3.5t gross weight requires a MoT inspection after 3 years from first registration and then yearly after that, this is written legislation in the road traffic act 1988,
So as long as your car has had an inspection in the previous 12 months you are complying to this part of the law.

Then the tricky bit is the My car has failed and i want to still drive it!
Well you can,

Say it failed on a headlight inoperative, It's the middle of the day in summer,
is the headlight making it unroadworthy to drive around during the day? No.

So it failed on only one brake light working, yep still ok to drive away as you are still able to signal to the person following your intention to stop.

Ok this time it failed on a tyre that has separation of it structure causing a bulge that is likely to go pop now you can no longer continue to use it on the public highway until the tyre is replaced, this includes driving away from the test station.

Final example, it has burst a brake pipe and has lost all fluid to the rear split giving no brake effort to either rear brake, the tester will mark this as dangerous and the car can not be used until the defect is rectified and a retest done.

passing an MoT and being roadworthy is two completely different things, as at the side of the road a Vosa examiner or suitably qualified police traffic officer do not test to Mot standards, they test to 'Categorisation of Defects' standards which is why example 1 and 2 above would allow continued use of the car in certain condition.

Anyway here's the 'Cat of D's' if you want to know what deems a vehicle unroadworthy or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/498457/Categorisation-of-defects.pdf

330i. E30 Touring.
It's a very complicated question to answer

But basically,
Forget calling it an 'MoT Certificate' for a start, its more of a proof of inspection
a passenger carrying motor vehicle or commercial vehicle under 3.5t gross weight requires a MoT inspection after 3 years from first registration and then yearly after that, this is written legislation in the road traffic act 1988,
So as long as your car has had an inspection in the previous 12 months you are complying to this part of the law.

Then the tricky bit is the My car has failed and i want to still drive it!
Well you can,

Say it failed on a headlight inoperative, It's the middle of the day in summer,
is the headlight making it unroadworthy to drive around during the day? No.

So it failed on only one brake light working, yep still ok to drive away as you are still able to signal to the person following your intention to stop.

Ok this time it failed on a tyre that has separation of it structure causing a bulge that is likely to go pop now you can no longer continue to use it on the public highway until the tyre is replaced, this includes driving away from the test station.

Final example, it has burst a brake pipe and has lost all fluid to the rear split giving no brake effort to either rear brake, the tester will mark this as dangerous and the car can not be used until the defect is rectified and a retest done.

passing an MoT and being roadworthy is two completely different things, as at the side of the road a Vosa examiner or suitably qualified police traffic officer do not test to Mot standards, they test to 'Categorisation of Defects' standards which is why example 1 and 2 above would allow continued use of the car in certain condition.

Anyway here's the 'Cat of D's' if you want to know what deems a vehicle unroadworthy or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/498457/Categorisation-of-defects.pdf

Way too long for me to read. But thanks. I'll just keep getting my MOT every two years. X

172 cup
Thanks for the help guys was just asking coz of my new steering wheel
image.jpeg