ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT question will my windscreen pass???

Status
Not open for further replies.
  clio 182FF, mini
hi guys,

any mot testers out there or anyone know if this will pass the next MOT. thanks in advance :)

534448_10152296508810001_590785034_n_zpsf4b4f6ea.jpg

screen_zps7e8b4a2b.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was expecting a chip, not a 7 inch crack.

Got windscreen cover?

clio 182FF, mini
no its a crack but only just in the swept area, i am aware of the rules but was checking with hope for the best

no discovered i didn't have windscreen cover as premium choice don't have it as standard and i didn't realise. p.s worst insurance i have ever been with anyway

Mk2 Ph2 172
Just put a shorter wiper blade that side to miss the crack and it will be a pass and advise as it will be out the swept area !!!

Then get it sorted before it gets worse !!!

RB 182 FF
I would avoid big bumps with that crack or it's going to spread right across!! Looks pretty much a fail from those pics! :eek:

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It's definitely a fail. Get it repaired as soon as possible. Especially now the cold weather is setting in.

1.2 clio
Yeah sorry to say mate that would be a fail. As also someone has said above ^^^^^ the cold weather is coming with that still there you may not have a windscreen left.

Glacier 197
As said shorter wiper and it wont be a problem. Obviously clean the window so the dirt line moves, people worry too much I would leave it until it gets bigger its not in your direct vision.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As said shorter wiper and it wont be a problem. Obviously clean the window so the dirt line moves, people worry too much I would leave it until it gets bigger its not in your direct vision.

A windscreen is an important part of the cars structure. That's why people worry too much.

As for the MOT, there is to be no damage that exceeds 40mm in length/diameter.

That should fail.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mine cracked, but in a different place, when I was in France. It grew every day for the next week, as soon as I got back to the UK I had it changed.

It's not worth the risk, the clio screens aren't even that expensive, think my trophy was only about £120 not through insurance. Yours might be a bit more if it has auto wipers.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
A chip under the size of a 5 pence piece can be fixed with silicone. The crack you have pictured will fail...especially if the MOT tester is doing it as he should. The only way something of that size wouldnt be 'so' bad is if it was by the scuttle panel on bottom of screen...but I wouldnt want to risk it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
With the wiper blade he has now yes... But get a smaller one it will be a pass and advise :)

From some MOT website...

Any damage(chip-crack-other)that is larger than 40mm on diameter or length anywhere on the windscreen.

It should fail.

I'm not saying its going to fail because we don't know the MOT tester, but according to the law, it SHOULD fail.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
No it will not. Any crack of that size, anywhere, is a fail.
Your right McGherkin my last job for 6 years was to prepare cars for MOTs its a fail

bg182ff
Its touch and go tbh i had a 4 inch crack in the middle of the passenger side on mine but it got passed on a mot :/ something about the rac having laptops or something on the passenger side and as the drivers side was clear it passed no advisary :/ but may depend on mot station

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Ok the first person to look at the testers guide and show me where is says damage out side the swept area is failure

Here is the link to the guide

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm
If a crack touches the edge in two places it is a failure. At the end of the day as it stands at the moment it is a failure.
Yes you probably could fit a shorter wiper blade but you aren't solving the problem. Fit a new windscreen and everything is ok.

Mk2 Ph2 172
If a crack touches the edge in two places it is a failure. At the end of the day as it stands at the moment it is a failure.
Yes you probably could fit a shorter wiper blade but you aren't solving the problem. Fit a new windscreen and everything is ok.

Lol you can have a crack from the top of the screen to the bottom in the SWEPT area and it will be a pass and advise !!!!

Tbh it's not that drastic I would not rush out to get a new screen, I might look s**t but it does not make the car unsafe or un-useable

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Lol you can have a crack from the top of the screen to the bottom in the SWEPT area and it will be a pass and advise !!!!

Tbh it's not that drastic I would not rush out to get a new screen, I might look s**t but it does not make the car unsafe or un-useable
No you can't. No damage more than 10mm in zone A, 40mm in zone B, zone C (non swept area) is a slightly grey area but I do know you can't have a crack that touches the edge in 2 places.
The windscreen is actually part of the cars structural rigidity, as Daniel said. So the windscreen being cracked does make the car unsafe, not just due to the impaired visibility.
You are also practically guaranteed points if pulled.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No you can't. No damage more than 10mm in zone A, 40mm in zone B, zone C (non swept area) is a slightly grey area but I do know you can't have a crack that touches the edge in 2 places.
The windscreen is actually part of the cars structural rigidity, as Daniel said. So the windscreen being cracked does make the car unsafe, not just due to the impaired visibility.
You are also practically guaranteed points if pulled.

Bingo.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ok the first person to look at the testers guide and show me where is says damage out side the swept area is failure

Here is the link to the guide

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

If we're going to get picky then, remembering that a clio's wipers wipe in the opposite way to most cars, according to this, that car will fail. (bottom left, the whole screen is covered by the 'wiped zone'.)

windscreen_scan.bmp

Last edited:
  Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Owen where do you get your information from buddy
I carry out pre-MOT inspections. So I get it from the actual MOT testers manual that we get supplied with by VOSA plus all of the MOT information that comes through.

Mk2 Ph2 172
I carry out pre-MOT inspections. So I get it from the actual MOT testers manual that we get supplied with by VOSA plus all of the MOT information that comes through.

I would advise to read it again then

Do you work on psv or hgvs ????

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I would advise to read it again then
I'd advise you not to question something I do in day in, day out with a 100% pass rate in the past year and a half since I started doing pre-MOT inspections.
I do both PSV and HGV but am also clued up on class 4.

Mk2 Ph2 172
I'd advise you not to question something I do in day in, day out with a 100% pass rate in the past year and a half since I started doing pre-MOT inspections.
I do both PSV and HGV but am also clued up on class 4.

That why then as with an hgv or psv any crack or damage on the screen is a failure, class 4 5 & 7 is different matey

182cup & 172 racecar
Just change the fkn screen, and do us all a favour.

Pastie and Owen, put your b****cks away, it's Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.