ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT refused!

Banana
Got refused an MOT this morning because the car wouldnt go on the ramps with the coilover setup. I suggested that they could use bits of wood to drive on/off with but they were adamant they, or anybody else wouldnt be able to do it. He made himself look a right arse when I showed him the MOT from last year and it was them that did it (using blocks of wood!)
Ah well, got it booked in elsewhere this afternoon to a place that's not run by a penis lol

Banana
yeah I got it booked into one of those old fashioned "dodgy" looking places in Govan this afternoon with the good old hoist with arms set up.

ITB'd MK1
the place we use has the ramp sunk into the ground so there's no ramp to go up. Even the lowest of cars will go on without a thought

RB 182FF, Saxo Track Car.
2 poster ramps are no good for an MOT, has to be a 4 poster, as you need to use the turntables etc. Like eggy has said above if you can find someone with a pit that would be better, not sure if many places have these now.

Plus you car has to be able to get over the jacking beam thats in the middle of the ramp/pit. I don't blame the guy in fairness for not doing your test, your asking him to use blocks of wood...why didn't raise your suspension?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I always thought it had to be able to drive on and off the ramp without any help to be able to pass an mot?
go somewhere with a pit as been said before! if your car is that low then what will happen when its on the rollers? my car is standard and sits quite low when in the rollers.

Banana
I don't blame the guy in fairness for not doing your test, your asking him to use blocks of wood...why didn't raise your suspension?

To be honest, my car is not that low. It goes on rollers no problem. I've seen a lot lower clios on here tbh. He was just being arsey though. Put it this way, would you spend ages attacking your coils with a c-spanner and undo-ing the professionally corner-weighted set up for an mot, or just drive over two blocks of wood which was perfectly acceptable the year before?

Banana
Whats the name of the Garage in Govan mate?

Jura MOT's in Woodville Street. As usual, it FAILED with flying colours for having no back brakes lol, and after the mandatory "cups dont have rear bias valve and have less than 5% braking force to the rear" argument, he eventually gave me a pass certificate. Every sodding year...... :rolleyes:
The guy was sound though.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
You're better off if they're that picky about s**t like that Mark.

LOL at your avatar though!

BG V6, LY 182
My firSt car failed an MOT because the wiper blade touched the sunstrip.
I though that was rather silly, especially when he rang me asking what t do with it ....

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Should have said Mark, i could have phoned SummerLea and got them to do it for you, they would have done it that day too, only about 1mile down the road into TBank.

Glad it passed though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Mine wont go on a ramp either...but i've only ever had one car MOT'd and that was the deathtrap illiams! ;)

PH1 172
Probably best place to ask this....

Has anybody with a 1/2 roll cage been told that has taken out the back seats had an MOT and ha no problems? I was told this year before I had my MOT to get that done first and then get the 1/2 cage in and back seats out otherwise it will fail. They said that every car that is manufactured with rear seatbelts must have them in and the back seats in order for a valid MOT....is that right? So many people have their rear seats out for different reasons......

To be honest, my car is not that low. It goes on rollers no problem. I've seen a lot lower clios on here tbh. He was just being arsey though. Put it this way, would you spend ages attacking your coils with a c-spanner and undo-ing the professionally corner-weighted set up for an mot, or just drive over two blocks of wood which was perfectly acceptable the year before?

To be honest, I wouldn't have coilovers on my road going car but... I can see your problem, especially if they've done it for you the year before!

Glad you got it sorted though.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Probably best place to ask this....

Has anybody with a 1/2 roll cage been told that has taken out the back seats had an MOT and ha no problems? I was told this year before I had my MOT to get that done first and then get the 1/2 cage in and back seats out otherwise it will fail. They said that every car that is manufactured with rear seatbelts must have them in and the back seats in order for a valid MOT....is that right? So many people have their rear seats out for different reasons......

You realistically should remove the seatbelts and certainly the buckles, as if they buckles are still there realistically you can test them and if there isnt a seat belt then thats a fail.

So remove seatbelt and buckles and no fail as they cannot be tested if they are not present.

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, everything needs to be removed, belts and buckles and seats. then this shouldnt be a problem.

PH1 172
You realistically should remove the seatbelts and certainly the buckles, as if they buckles are still there realistically you can test them and if there isnt a seat belt then thats a fail.

So remove seatbelt and buckles and no fail as they cannot be tested if they are not present.

Asked if doing that will be ok to pass and that's when I got the response

"every car that is manufactured with rear seatbelts must have them in and the back seats in order for a valid MOT"....as in to say even if you take them out and we can't test them, it's still a fail :S

^I'd go elsewhere. That's not the case.

Correct...my Saxo has no back seats and a cage, this passes it's MOT.

I'm not 100% but as far as I'm aware, if there's seats.. there needs to be seat belts and if there's seat belts, they need to work.

Banana
Asked if doing that will be ok to pass and that's when I got the response

"every car that is manufactured with rear seatbelts must have them in and the back seats in order for a valid MOT"....as in to say even if you take them out and we can't test them, it's still a fail :S

I've just had my third MOT with no back seats, with the belts still in but no buckles, and a half cage, never had any issues. Depends where you go I think.

PH1 172
I've just had my third MOT with no back seats, with the belts still in but no buckles, and a half cage, never had any issues. Depends where you go I think.

Cheers for the info mate :)

Just had a quick check on the MOT Test website http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm and read this statement

Seatbelt checks

This inspection applies to all seat belts fitted including child seats/restraints etc. However the reasons for rejection should only be applied to those permanently attached to the vehicle ie secured by nuts, bolts etc.
If a belt is fitted, but there is no corresponding seat it is NOT considered to be a seat belt, for the purpose of this inspection.

The last bit clearly says I can have my belts still present without the seats so the guys at my MOT station can not fail me on not having seatbelts/seats in the back :cool:

Last edited:
  54 astravan 1.7tdci
my mot fellas sound even helped him do it last time.wouldn't fail it for somethin like that.would fail something that wasn't safe though.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Terry where did you go to get an MOT and they told you that?

My dad has a garage in croydon and my brother is an MOT tester in Croydon too.

PH1 172
Terry where did you go to get an MOT and they told you that?

My dad has a garage in croydon and my brother is an MOT tester in Croydon too.

Fosters near Colliers Wood.

Where is your bro's MOT test place mate? Will keep it in mind for when the time comes next year:cool: