ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT time help

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Well it's that dreaded time of year for us Renault owners when this rolls round and need to get her booked in.

Well it comes to mechanical things I'm clueless and don't want to get screwed over by someone talking bull.

Anyone on here local to Stourbridge who's a tester? I'd like someone honest and knowledgable to look after her if possible so I don't get ripped off for things that don't need doing!

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
You can do a lot yourself. Check that all the lights work including side lights and no plate. Brake lights including the high level.Hazard lights too. Check that the wipers are in good nick and that the washers work. Horn. Seat belts all work and aren't frayed. Tyres are legal and don't have any cuts or bulges. Look at the driveshafts and if there are any signs of grease, you have a cv gaiter gone. Does the abs light come on , then go out? Brakes work ok? Handbrake hold on a slope? Is the engine running ok? Exhaust not too loud and no leaks. Bonnet/boot/doors open and close ok? Correct fuel cap, not a temporary one. Seats secure.
There, you've damn near done an MoT yourself!!

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Thanks very much for the advice. Pretty much everything non-technical there is fine including brakes and tyres etc as they've recently been changed and horn was fixed last week. Only things I'm concerned about are the exhaust (hopefully no leaks etc) and the abs light. It intermittently comes on along with traction and service but can't find a fault anywhere :S

Only other thing is the driveshaft as I don't really what I'm looking for tbh :S I'll have to get underneath and have a look

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
im in brownhills if you want someone to look over it, got a ramp at work n that.

That's a kind offer Rob but I'm not going to have time to get there before Tuesday, got sh1t loads to do at work and only have Sunday to myself!

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Thanks very much for the advice. Pretty much everything non-technical there is fine including brakes and tyres etc as they've recently been changed and horn was fixed last week. Only things I'm concerned about are the exhaust (hopefully no leaks etc) and the abs light. It intermittently comes on along with traction and service but can't find a fault anywhere :S

Only other thing is the driveshaft as I don't really what I'm looking for tbh :S I'll have to get underneath and have a look

Drive shafts go from the gearbox to the back of the wheels and have a rubber boot on them. Just look for splits/grease etc.
Your light problem is likely the brake switch or a sensor. If it doesn't come back on during the mot you're ok!

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Drive shafts go from the gearbox to the back of the wheels and have a rubber boot on them. Just look for splits/grease etc.
Your light problem is likely the brake switch or a sensor. If it doesn't come back on during the mot you're ok!

Thanks again. I feel like a plank not knowing these basic things but I'm learning slowly :) probably the brake switch then, changed it last summer so maybe it's not fitted properly :S

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
Well she's been MOT'd today (a day earlier than planned) and I'm delighted to say she passed :) All that was needed was a rubber for the exhaust...

Money's tight this month so couldn't afford any problems!

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Places near me really seem to be de-cat unfriendly atm. :(

I think I'd need a boot full of beer to get them to pass it :(

So, the law of the land is that all cars made oafter 1992 have to have a cat. Because you want more noise = perceived power increase, you want MoT tester to pass your non-compliant / illegal car and risk his job/ licence /business??