ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mounting rear springs

E46M3
Hi all,

I’m having some trouble mounting the rear springs on my 172 Cup.

The springs won’t fit between the rear beam and the car, even with both shocks loose and the car jacked up.

Problem occured when I disconnected the rear shock and couldn’t mount it back because the holes didn’t lined up.. couldn’t get them aligned because I couldn’t compress the spring enough.. So tought to be smart and just follow the steps on how to replace springs, by mounting the shocks back in place and then try to get the springs back in. Don’t know where that logic came from but obviously did not work. Set consists of Gaz gold shocks and unknown brand of stiffer springs.

Any suggestions? Should be easy job but somehow doesn’t add up.

Thanks.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Strange one this is, can't you push the rear beam so that it opens up and create more space for the springs to fit? Std springs are taller so the beam is definitely designed to create a bigger gap

E46M3
I am jacking it up from the sill, yes. But once I do get the springs to fit, which they don’t do yet, I still can’t manage to mount the shocks back in place.. not really sure how to fix this, will have a go at it today. Either they fit at the end or I’ll probably just throw the whole car in the bin! Should be really easy this

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Have you jacked the whole rear end up and put it on axle stands? You need both sides in the air so that the beam can drop down far enough.

E46M3
I have, can’t get the car higher with my current jack so will get another one today and jack it up as high as possible. It is on axle stands both sides now, on the sills. But once the springs are on, how do I fit the shocks? If I don’t figure it out I’ll post up some pics later today.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You sure you've got the correct springs ? They don't need compressing , just drop the rear beam down pop in the springs . Might help if you put a pic up of the springs you have.

E46M3
Springs came off this car so should work.

I tried that indeed, but with the car as lightweight as it is, the spring won’t compress when the beam is jacked up. The whole car just lifts.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Springs came off this car so should work.

I tried that indeed, but with the car as lightweight as it is, the spring won’t compress when the beam is jacked up. The whole car just lifts.

Get someone to sit on the edge of the boot just to weigh it down a bit may help?

E46M3
Well that worked I guess! Bit of pain still tbh.

Got the car jacked up high as possible to get the springs inbetween.
Wheels back on, lowered it again, jack under the rear beam and up again.
Got a heavy mate sit on the rear with some car batteries and some other stuff. This worked!

So it is back together, but couldn’t have done it on my own really..
Thanks for the tips guys!??