ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Multi-Car Insurance Question

E87 118d M Sport
Just a quick question if anyone works in insurance.

If playing by the book, am I correct in saying you cant have 2 vehicles in your name, with separate policies and use your NCB on both policies?

If this is the case (which I think it is), is there a method of insuring 2 vehicles on one "policy" as such, with the intent that only 1 would be driven at once (as I would be the only driver named on the policy)???

I cant imagine you can, but under logic, if I'm the only one insured to drive them (fully comp), I cant drive more than 1 vehicle at once.....

Thanking you!

Breaking 172 NV676
I am on the admiral multi-car and theirs doesn't work like that.

From my experience the multi-car policy isnt a single policy. They are 2 single car policies that are related.
I have a policy on my VXR which covers myself and my sister and is £1000 and a policy for the 172 cup which again covers myself and my sister and is £600. You can only allocate your no claims to one policy and you cant split you ncb's

The only advantage of having multi-car is they give you bigger discount, ie more business their way means they give you a bit of dollar back. If and when my sisters insurance is up for renewal she can add her car to the policy and more discount is given to all the cars.

On the note of only being able to drive one car. It is the car that is insured not you. If you are driving neither and they are both broken into does that mean they are not covered as you werent driving either? The insurance covers the car for a multitude of things you crashing being only part of this. The only policy i know of that insures you as a person is traders policies.

Breaking 172 NV676
I was a little confused by the whole thing to start off with and asked a million and one questions.

The only thing I havent asked is do i earn two years no claims in one year as I technically have two policies. I will ask them tomorrow though when I phone up and switch the private plate over to the clio.

Think for a traders policy you have to have proof that your are a trader

Breaking 172 NV676
not clued up on traders insurance, I think business insurance is different to traders. traders is for motor traders and allows them to pretty much drive anything. My friend has a traders policy and it covers him for anything upto 250k lucky git.

Look on the admiral site their multi-car site is good and gives prices too no hanging on the phone for rubbish quotes

Fiesta ST3
some trade policies that i have seen want you to buy and sell x amount of cars per year, some dont have restrictions so something to keep a note of when shopping around for trade insurance.

i need to insure my other car which a toyota avensis, thing is i used all my 7 years ncb for the 172, so im getting normal quotes for the toyota with 0 ncb and there coming back at £600!

dont really want to use my 172 to commute in so bit unsure on what to do.

MR2 Mk1.5
Just a quick question if anyone works in insurance.

If playing by the book, am I correct in saying you cant have 2 vehicles in your name, with separate policies and use your NCB on both policies?

If this is the case (which I think it is), is there a method of insuring 2 vehicles on one "policy" as such, with the intent that only 1 would be driven at once (as I would be the only driver named on the policy)???

Yes you are right, NCB can only be used on one polict at a time, you would need to find a company who can 'mirror' your NCB over to the second car.