ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Multiple BSOD's

Clio 172
Hi guys

I wonder if anyoen can help, might be a long one.

Basically, yesterday I replaced a damaged CPU in my PC (pins got bent, couldnt get them straight enough for the PC to boot). Yesterday went fine, installed windows, set up shared folders, downloaded everything I needed and went to bed. THe new CPU was bought second hand off eBay.

Today, my new heatsink + fan came (the old one was starting to make a racket!), so being excited that I had something new to play with, I set about changing it. Went in fine, and welcomed the blissful new silence.

Then, as I logged in, about 2-3 minutes later I got a BSOD. This was "Page Fault in non paged area", and IIRC it related to a Nvidia file. I then restarted it, ready to download some new drivers, and low and behold happened at the same time, this time with "bad pool header". Great... Iv done something wrong here....

Logged onto safe mode, and it either froze completly, or I got another BSOD, cant remember which, although both have happened at some point today.

Its not the hard drive, as it does it without the hard drive (trying to boot from a Windows Setup disc), and with another hard drive. Unless both sticks of ram are faulty/sockets faulty, its not them (I have tried them both in alternate sockets on there own, yet to do a MEMTEST though)

Which possibly leaves the CPU, or motherboard.

ASRock N68C-S Motherboard
3 GB of ram (Corsiar I think)
AMD Athlon II x2 6000+
Hitachi 750GB hard drive

I can post the logs up shortly, just transfering them to my laptop now.

Anyone got any ideas from that? Its annoying me SO MUCH. I am hoping its driver related, but not holding much luck as it does it with a different hard drive, and no hard drive.

The BSOD's I have had:

A driver has overrun a stack based buffer
Page fault in a nonpaged area
Driver IRQL not less or equal
Memory management
Bad Pool header

I remember one of the files being win32k.sys

If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful!

Clio 172
Did you apply any thermal paste?

Yeah, not too much, just enough that its spread evenly and is almost transparent.

It doesn't seem to be overheating, although temps are a bit high (50 degrees on idle), when it Blue screens I check temp, and it's still on the 50 mark.

Thanks

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yeah, not too much, just enough that its spread evenly and is almost transparent.

It doesn't seem to be overheating, although temps are a bit high (50 degrees on idle), when it Blue screens I check temp, and it's still on the 50 mark.

Thanks

Temps sound a tad high but nothing that should be making it bsod. Best thing for thermal paste is just a pea sized amount in the middle and leave it, I don't spread it across the cpu.

If you can get it to boot and not bsod/freeze for long enough, open cmd and run SFC/ SCANNOW.

Do you have another motherboard you can try?

Clio 172
I tried the processor with 2 coolers, and both made it idle at that. Will try what you said about not spreading it.

Unfortunately not, running MEMTEST now, had 5 passes with both sticks in, presume that means there good.

In safemode it takes longer to BSOD, sometimes doesn't even do it. So will run what you said in safe mode.

Oh yeah I forgot its just started boot looping too. Going to try repairing with windows DVD

Clio 172
Nope didn't find anything :(.

Another thing that just happened booting into window was "windows has encountered a serious problem and needs to shut down"

Clio 172
There all different Adam :(

I have had 5 or 6 different BSOD's, I'll check the logs shortly

Cheers

@Lal

Yeah I might nick my brothers while he's asleep. I'm hoping it's not the processor as I can't be assed to go through the refunds process lol.

Is there a chance the new CPU was sold as faulty? I have seen loads of cases where a CPU bitflip will cause BSOD with the same errors you have (it only takes a single bit change to throw you into someone else's pool allocation).

Clio 172
Is there a chance the new CPU was sold as faulty? I have seen loads of cases where a CPU bitflip will cause BSOD with the same errors you have (it only takes a single bit change to throw you into someone else's pool allocation).

Yeah it could be possible. I guess I'll try my brothers motherboard will all my gear (GPU, HDD, RAM, and CPU). If it still causes happens, I'll swap his CPU for mine, and see if it does it. He's got the exact same one.

Clio 172
Put the other CPU in my pc first, was the easiest test. Everything seems to be running okay, gonna update drivers and s**t and leave it on while I shower. It did lag up and flash up a BSOD, but I'm hoping that's a driver problem

Evo 5 RS
Faulty CPU

Did you monitor the temps after fitting the new heatsink at all? AMD thermal management back then was still borderline shocking. You might find you cooked it

Clio 172
I did yeah, rose from room temp to 40- 50 within 4-5 mins, maybe quicker. Then just sat at 50-52, after BSOD's, it was still around that temp.

My brothers CPU (exactly the same) was running at the same temp on his pc before I took it

Clio 172
Defo the CPU. Was able to install all my motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, chrome, even logged on to a game on my brothers. Put mine back in and it BSOD soon as I got into windows, "page fault in non pages area"

Clio 172
Just a little update on this, CPU was returned to the seller, who said he stress tested it for 2 hours with PRIME95 and didn't have a single problem, but I'm running the exact same spec processor and haven't had a single problem?

Evo 5 RS
You might find it had a dry joint on one of the pins and needed re-seating. Also it may be a later revision and like I said earlier in the thread, you needed a BIOS update.