ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 x Rota Grid V's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently Rota bought the designs from the original companies who created the wheels. So you could say that it is down to the manufacturers trying to make something on the side.

Any decent proof to back this statement?

this would not surprise me at all, this happens alot.
I have first hand experience of this from my time of mag work,and i am not talking someone telling me something about someones wheels, i 100% know that the wheels were copies of another brand because i had to photoshop the stamp off the face of the wheel....

you get copies of the rotiform BLQ's now, but they were only a take on the lambo wheels initially.
i am not condoning it however i am not approving it, i am not sure what my opinion is tbh

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I like the originals better, sure. But I like these too. I don't see them as direct copies I see them as a take on that design, because you cannot beat the originals.

When it comes down to it, we all want to be awesome on a showstring budget. Something has to give, doesn't it? I totally understand where you're coming from, and judging by that article these wheels are effecting business. I don't agree with "Then where will all the new designs come from when they're gone". BBS is a prime example, they don't have that many wheel designs but all the "New" ones they've been pushing out whilst the business has been ducking in and out of bankruptcy have been.. shite! tbh.

Problem with fake wheels is they're directly marketing themselves to people who we all know will get on ebay order some stickers and try to pass them off as the real thing. Rota and the like would have no business if it wasn't for the likes of Rays etc investing large amounts of money designing, testing, making a quality product marketing it and building up a following off the back of a solid product. Rota then come in make low quality copies at a fraction of the cost and sell to a ready made audience.

While it won't stop me sleeping at night it's sad that people seem to have no concept of all this going on and that supposed car enthusiasts are more interested in looks than a decent bit of engineering or quality product. Th original companies do all the leg work and try to make good products that we will enjoy only to have their business threatened by cheap imitators. It'll be a real shame if we lose more companies in the aftermarket tuning industry thanks to shitty Chinese made look-a-likes.

Either save up, buy second hand or simply buy something that isn't a replica if you don't have/want to spend the money.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Problem with fake wheels is they're directly marketing themselves to people who we all know will get on ebay order some stickers and try to pass them off as the real thing. Rota and the like would have no business if it wasn't for the likes of Rays etc investing large amounts of money designing, testing, making a quality product marketing it and building up a following off the back of a solid product. Rota then come in make low quality copies at a fraction of the cost and sell to a ready made audience.

While it won't stop me sleeping at night it's sad that people seem to have no concept of all this going on and that supposed car enthusiasts are more interested in looks than a decent bit of engineering or quality product. Th original companies do all the leg work and try to make good products that we will enjoy only to have their business threatened by cheap imitators. It'll be a real shame if we lose more companies in the aftermarket tuning industry thanks to shitty Chinese made look-a-likes.

Either save up, buy second hand or simply buy something that isn't a replica if you don't have/want to spend the money.

This is my point...

The like of BBS etc are making a mint. The same as Rolex are making a mint.

The fact that some people decide to buy imitations has no effect on their business. The people that buy 'fakes' as it were are people with not much money. The same people that could never afford the real McCoy.Therefore if they can't affor the real product, they'd just buy some TSW chrome halfords specials or a Casio.

Rota copying designs has zero effect on BBS etc's wheel sales.

Fact is, the people with the money and the appreciation of the product will buy the genuine article. I hate to use the phrase but hate the player not the game. ;)

It's not specifically about wheels I'm talking though Dan. Cusco make a MCS for numerous cars retailing at around £75 iirc then companies like Tegiwa make a shitty, badly fitting copy and punt it out at £30 are you honestly telling me that the Tegiwa copy isn't effecting Cusco's sales?

If people really wanted the BBS etc or Rolex they'd go second-hand if there was no look-a-like out there IMO. If they weren't that committed to it they'd just opt for the TSW or Casio which bears no resemblance to the other product and they'd choose the alternative on it's own merit rather than because it looked like the better/dearer sought after item.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
People who make cheaper products are just feeding a sector of the market.Its supply and demmand.Some honda fan who's just passed his test and bought a 2 grand car are not going to be able to afford £4000 for a set of wheels.However rota make some that will cost a fraction of this and still look the part.

Its just the way it goes...

I dont personally think people give a flying fook about the sentiments behind a special company with special rnd facilities investing thousands in a product.People want a bargain...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Saw a standard Corsa VXR laced in a load of fake illest stickers the other day, made me sick in my mouth. Probably doesn't even know what they are.

M135i and the shed
The only thing i'm surprised about is that the likes of Rays haven't gone after Rota's knackers with a big 'Intellectual Property' stick.

I couldn't give a crap what wheels someone chooses to put on their own car but the problem i have is if i had a company and someone else was directly copying and ripping off my product, i'd be seriously miffed. People choose to be blinkered about this subject cause it suits them and their wallet to have 'selective' morals. I'm sure if it was the other way round, and you were being ripped off/copied by another company you'd get very different responses from 99% of people in this thread.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The difference with Rota is they have their own name, when you buy a fake Rolex it says Rolex on it.

Copying designs is surely highly illegal though?

Listerine & Poledo
The difference with Rota is they have their own name, when you buy a fake Rolex it says Rolex on it.

Copying designs is surely highly illegal though?

Not when there's even a small difference in the design. which can be as little as a 1mm reduction in spoke or hole size.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cool!

Love Rota Grids.

There I said it. If I had an EK9 i'd want something decent though.

Rays aren't that expensive are they in ek9 size?

Turbos.
Saw a standard Corsa VXR laced in a load of fake illest stickers the other day, made me sick in my mouth. Probably doesn't even know what they are.

That is pretty low, but then aren't all fatlace (and related) events US only? I think its sad people put the stickers on their car over here. Its like having a 'ring sticker when you haven't been.

That better be aimed at danielson, you wouldn't catch me drinking that stuff and its made next door

That was for Mr Arthur Daley.

That is pretty low, but then aren't all fatlace (and related) events US only? I think its sad people put the stickers on their car over here. Its like having a 'ring sticker when you haven't been.

There's a local lad that's got a load of scene stickers including a Fatlace one on his completely standard Mazda 2 which is a horrible metallic brown/orange colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.