ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 diff went pop!! - help required please

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Just replaced a driveshaft on my 02 172 and last week on my way to work the diff packed in, lost drive completely and dropped oil all over the road....

Car has done 48k.. heard a bit of a wine prior to it failing....

Can anybody recommend a solution, any breakers that might have some or anyone know if they can be repaired??...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
its the cir-clip that pops, game over m8, u will need to get a new box from a breakers or summet

Lionel Richie
if they bell housing is sound can i have your old box off you?? (i'll cross your palm with silver obviously)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
To be honest I aint got a clue what state its in, I just heard it collapse, and oil spewed out after loosing drive!!..

Ill let you know mate once ive stripped it down and managed to track down a box....

Prooving pretty tricky tho....

C

Lionel Richie
i have a box, but it needs a rebuild and a bell housing, rebuild will cost £350 from our gearbox guys (new EVERYTHING, bearings and synchros etc)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
im no mechanic at all but i heard my mates havin trouble with dog bone mounts? where it pops out of box? knockin sound like the diff gone in box too? i might be in totally wrong area but just in case. ben_p didnt u say somethin bout this when i had probs?

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Managed to find a complete box for £250, which has only covered 16k

Also another box but the rear casing is knackered (leaking oil) £150 if anyone wants the contact details....

If it only popped out I dont think it would have spewed oil out... besides something went bang.....

Cheers for your suggestions tho..... hopefully ill be back on the road soon

See how long it takes for me to do the same to this one!!... LOL

Chris