ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 172 vs Focus RS

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

you dont have to have your foot 100% to the floor in 1st and 2nd if its likely to wheelspin!

on the 1/4 mile i never floor it in 1st gear

C

chip16v

thats what iam saying you dont just stick your foot to the floor you have to have throtle control but you dont get the choice with limited boost

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Mitchy maybe, but i have vids of me against a Leon cupra, and i beat it quite convincinly!! i posted the vid up but it got removed!

i ran 14.3 in the ibiza and i only did 4 runs in it!

R

rich[182]

Thing ive always noticed with turbod cars is that the performance advantage they have above 60mph is much better when you start alongside one at 60mph and then both boot as opposed to hitting 60mph through the gears from a standing start

Cant speak about the FRS but ive had a couple of blasts against what I think was a standard LCR, Once through the gears and difference above 60 was hardly noticeable until I conceded approaching silly speed, whereas booting from a cruising 60 in 4th I was beaten easy, booting from 60 in 3rd he pulled away initially but then difference less noticeable

Id never take on a turbod car unless it was from low speeds through gears, starting in 4th your gonna get hammered, 3rd maybe not as much, its the 2nd gear in RSs thats the best IMO

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If the videos are on a German autobahn or simmilar then they will not be removed. However if its clearly speeding on a speed enforced road then thankyou for not posting it.

I really like the Focus RS aswell, despite the horrid interior/dash. Its on my list of possible replacement cars.

Titanium 182

i knew a lad with a standard rs

we had a blast when i had my 210 20vt ibiza and there was nothing in it upto silly speeds

them 20vt engines are good but just not as fun as a 172! even if there quick

i have to say having owned both the RS focus is far better as a car, handling, power, turn-in, sound...etc

if only the RS didnt drink like a fish it would be terrific!

the clio is value for money and on a circuit the clio cup was more fun the RS at some dry circuits was a bore. It stuck to the road like glue and was sooo confident it got a little boring. Its the same as a CSL BM, they are good, but they are too good

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

The Focus RS would probably be considerably quicker if they had fitted it with 4x4 transmission. It may have been a tight squeeze under the bonnet, but surely they could have managed it? Or were they reserving that 4x4 for the Holy Grail (aka Cosworth) model?

They do look good though and you certainly dont see many of them about. ;)

tiTTy & SV650

I love how the clio RS always get compared to cars that cost so much more, helps me justify buying one!

Well as a 182 owner I have had many occations where I have come accrossed my mates focus RS (Which apparently has had a bluefin remap - not seen the module or any r/r powergraphs so i would take this as a pibch of salt) and my general outcome is :

Standing start - My 182 will have him to 60 easily. this mayb to the shear driving skills of the FRS or the main fact is that he has no traction in 1st and 2nd? but from 70-75 he will pull hard past me

Rolling start 2nd gear - FRS will win undoubtly!!!!

rolling start 1st gear - Clio will respond and give the focus a run for it money., but this will be down to pure driving skills and gear change!

All in all the clio is a good contender for a fRS on short roads but autobahn NO.

what sort of power would you have to have in a fwd car to get 11sec - 9 sec quater miles?

boost has to be down on the frs in 1st and 2nd as if not, if the car did get grip it would pull itself into a ditch. lol

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 13 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 13 February 2005

Up to 60 its not a massive difference, from then onwards the FRS will leave you for dead. This was proven on last years Spa/Nurburgring trip. However the chipped LCR then left the FRS for dead!!

As some 1 who owns both cars an was the driver of the FRS above i reckon im pretty well qualified to answer this one !!

Upto 70-80 there is not that much difference between the two from a standing start, The FRS really struggles for traction bein booted from the line. Once past 70 the FRS pulls away easily. I have a vid of this somewhere but dont wanna break cliosport rules.

The FRS as im sure the LCR drivers on here will agree with me comes into its own while rolling (real world driving if ya like), the turbo torque makes acceleration effortless. When i drive the 172 i have to totally change my style of driving to rag the tits off it!

But in answer to your question, you may well beat him but the longer the distance the more it favours the focus!
OK, i am really p1ssed off now as I just wrote something long and inspiring and posted before copying the text and got the magix Service Unavailable Sh1t!

Here goes again - Being the other party in this little experiment I can confirm that from a rolling start the FRS will pull from the clio and keep pulling, I even had a cheaky early start and he still came past without much problem and even after I took the 182 to the limit he kept pulling so thats it, end of. (although I did show him how it was done at Spa;) - but he had only had the car 2 weeks!)

I would say that up to 60 there isnt much in it but upwards of that its a 1 horse race, and thats with a standard FRS so a chipped one would be history.

You still do have to note though that the FRS did cost 7K more than mine so it shouild be bloody good! I am even seriously considering the new FRS in 2007 depending on what the new RSport looks like!