ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 182 driving me mad

i picked up my car last thursday from the dealer, since then the only two days from the week i have not been sat in the service dept are sunday and bank holiday monday. i went back the next day with my car due to a grating /grinding type clunk as i set off in first gear at low revs. today, after my fifth visit and reno claiming no noise, i took the tech geezer into the car park and went backwards and forwards until the guy admitted there was indeed a fault and a mental institution was not my next stop due to my over active paranoid imagination.

doing 70 mph the car feels uncertain and i do not feel confident with its handling. i believe this is related to the movement that i can feel as i set off accompanied by the grating/grinding noise.

this is the verdict from reno: the abs pump needs tightening and this will eliminate the noise, my next question was "why can i feel this through the clutch pedal" this was the response :confused:.

my question to anyone who knows is what the hell can i do? can i take the car back and say i want another if it is not to my satisfaction? what are my rights? please help.

my previous car was a cup and the 182 i have now has cup spec

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Let them try and fix this problem ONCE. If its not fixed hand them the keys and get your money back/replacement!

Having said that Renault UK let me drive my rejected car until my new one arrived!

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_P1 on 15 April 2004

Let them try and fix this problem ONCE. If its not fixed hand them the keys and get your money back/replacement!
is it as simple as that?

I never even gave them a chance to fix mine, that would have meant a full respray!

Having said that Renault UK let me drive my rejected car until my new one arrived!

on what grounds did you refuse your car?

Orange 182

hmm I know how your feelin tunni, Ive had a problem with mine since I picked it up too. Its going in on Monday to have the gearbox replaced, but I am paranoid that something else is going to be wrong...

The bad thing is... Ive already done 900 miles in mine so I dont know how this would affect my chances of a refusal? I reported the fault within a few days of having the car but its my word against theirs that the problem has been there since day 1 :confused:.

Trail, 900 miles is not a lot and definitely not too many to be able to refuse the car. When I bought my 172 I did 300 miles driving it home on the first day so 900 miles is nothing if there is a serious problem with your 182.

Are these problems because the 182 is kinda new ? I have never wanted to buy a car that has just come out for the reason that it will have niggling problems till they know how to build them right...... if that time ever comes !

:cry:

I had about 1000 miles on my car when I rejected it (rust spots all over it!), they then let me drive the car until the replacement came, a further 2,500 mile went on the car! I really cant beleive a brand new car is getting a new gearbox, I dont think I would have let them bother with that, I would have rejected it!

I am with you on this one Paul ! No way would I let them replace the gearbox on my brand new car ! No way !

It is hard tho as you wait so long for the car and then you get it taken away from you ! But then if you spend most of the time in the dealers with faults then where is the fun in that ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The clunk as you move off is the abs doing a self test.

Notice how it only does it as you move away after key on.

The other faults are weird.

Orange 182

Well apparently (been told this on here), a certain percentage of all Renault gearboxes have manufacturing faults, so its just down to luck whether or not the car you collect has a dodgy one in it.

The fact that they are simply replacing the gearbox does not concern me too much because its only going to be the same as when the original box was initially placed into the car on the production line. Obviously, if they had suggested trying to fix the gearbox I would have blankly refused.

The thing about rejecting the car is that I have no guarantees that the replacement will be in a better state. Also, I generally have the sort of luck that means my replacement car would arrive with the engine mounted upside down. One other thing is that I have already become rediculously attached to my car... sad I know, but it happens.

I think Ill let them do the work and if Im not 100% happy with it afterwards Ill see about rejection.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 15 April 2004

You gotta laugh (sorry)
No you havent..........you are laughing at the expense of 182 owners because you hate the fact that the 182 is now deemed quicker than the Cup. You have posted countless times arguing the point on here, and now people are having trouble you are revelling in there misfortune.

That says alot about a person....need I say any more :/

A four letter word begining with C comes to mind

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 15 April 2004

The clunk as you move off is the abs doing a self test.

Notice how it only does it as you move away after key on.

The other faults are weird.
if this is the case then why does this not happen on every car with abs ?

There were loads of teething problems with the 172, Im sure when you get them sorted the 182s will be fine Im glad that I stuck with mine, but having said that you have a right to expect a new car to be spot on afterall how long have Renault been making cars?

Orange 182

good point Viv, surely if Renault are aware that there is always a percentage of gearboxes (or any other part of a car) that go wrong they should do something about it.

tbh, after reading this forum for many months before I ordered my 182, I was half expecting it to turn up with no wheels and a tractor engine in it ;).

Im just looking forward to getting the car sorted and giving more Focus RSs a better race...

Quick question: Has anyone ever requested the engine management settings to be reset? A friend has suggested I ask this to be done cos obviously the 900 miles Ive done so far have been drove differently to how they would have been had the car been fine.

Quote: Originally posted by Trail182 on 15 April 2004

hmm I know how your feelin tunni, Ive had a problem with mine since I picked it up too. Its going in on Monday to have the gearbox replaced, but I am paranoid that something else is going to be wrong...

The bad thing is... Ive already done 900 miles in mine so I dont know how this would affect my chances of a refusal? I reported the fault within a few days of having the car but its my word against theirs that the problem has been there since day 1 :confused:.
how long have you had the car?

You could try a independent (qualified) inspection of the car without mentioning the problems you are facing, so you wouldnt prejudice it. I dont think they are extortionate and it will be a report in writing which would help your case (if it needed to be made). If youve got car/home insurance it sometimes come with a legal advice line which could give you some guidance.

Personally I would feel like taking it back but it would depend on what needs doing and how long the wait will be to get a replacement - which as you know, being a Renault is likely to need *something* doing to it!

:)

Quote: Originally posted by Trail182 on 15 April 2004

Had the 182 12 days now Tunni.

Cheers ak Ill bear that in mind if push comes to shove...
ive had mine 7 days today and i have been in renault service friday,saturday,tuesday,wednesday and then today thank god for bank holidays and sundays lol

Orange 182

oh dear... feel for you man.

Ive been back to the dealers 3 times now but Ill be there again on monday handing over my car for 3 long painful days :(

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 15 April 2004

You gotta laugh (sorry)
No you havent..........you are laughing at the expense of 182 owners because you hate the fact that the 182 is now deemed quicker than the Cup. You have posted countless times arguing the point on here, and now people are having trouble you are revelling in there misfortune.

I am laughing at the build quality of our Clios its a complete and utter joke, you would think they would have got it right since they have been making the Clio RS since 2000.

P.S I couldnt give a sh*t if a 182 is faster than a Cup (it wont be tho), I know its not as fast as mine so that doesnt bother me one bit. Your just getting carried away with yourself...

hello folks sorry to interrupt but i have clio RS year 2000 and have had a problem on my mk1 to it was a fault on the gearbox bearing (bad quality)

i payed 700 EUR for fixing!!!

so go back to the diller and kick some ...!!!

If Id spent that best part of 15k on a 182, Id want it to be perfect otherwise it would go back. A new gearbox after 900 miles thats crazy I certainly wouldnt want to keep that car, who knows what else is wrong with it. Friday car?

thanks for all the comments , ive told my dealer that im rejecting the car .

i spoke to the general manager who told me he didnt have the authority to replace my car and it would have to go through the complaint procedure, what a croc of sh*te.

anyway i logged a complaint with reno uk and have just e-mailed the complaints dept at RFS having spoke on the phone with the customer liason officer who reckons i have a good call for a replacement car .

watch this space :)

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 15 April 2004

You gotta laugh (sorry)

I agree with you extreme, that was a bit tight seeing as the 172 and 182 are exacytly the same,

Not so sure about the 182 being faster though!

cup 0-60 6.2 (with exaltos;)) 0-100 16.9

182 0-60 6.3 (with exaltos;))0-100 17

.:xTreme:.

I think its maybe time you gave that high horse a rest!!
Ditto!

Extreme, if the 182 is your only car then I can see why you would want to swap from a cup as it has more luxuries, and abs which is better for road use but not track. I am afraid you and anyone else on here are dissilusioning yourselves if you think its faster than a cup!

GW Clio 200

Do you really think that I care whether the 182 is faster... If I were that concerned I would go buy a Subabru or Lotus, Oh but I forgot, the Cup is faster!!! sure....

I love the my Cup, thats why Im buying the 182, I wanted up performance with the luxuries of the 172.

Given that the same Magazine that tested the Cup at 6.5 rather than the Renault quoted time of 6.9 stands in your books, why does it not when you read about the 182s 0-60 6.3. It dont matter to me what it says, that is an issue Cup owners have to deal with" Evidently"

So lets chill and all be fwends :/

Neil didnt put it accross very well, but he was actually just seeing the funny side of Renault having 4 years to iron out the niggles on the 172/Cup and now the 182.