ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 2006 S2K

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Agreed! With the K20 and general VTEC engines, people always seem to comment on how you have to thrash them to get the power....... but I don't agree, they are a responsive engine at the best of times and as you said, for an average driving enthusiast, they hit the mark! I mean i'm no Damon Hill, but my Civic certainly put a smile on my face when I took it around Snetterton on a track evening...... but obviously when you hit 5,800 (is it the same in the S2000?) and the VTEC kicks in, it's at it's best haha

Very true matey.

On the s2000 it's 6k but can very depending on whether you're at full throttle iirc.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I've had two Type R's and the s15 in between. I had a weird feeling in my stomach driving away from the EP3, and actually regretted it badly after a while in the Silvia.
So much fun out of the box, and happy now i've got the DC5.

VTEC ftw!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That looks bloody superb.

I know you've said it, but considering what you've spent it'll cost pennies, get the steering wheel to Jack at Royal steering wheels!!! It'll make such an improvement.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
That looks bloody superb.

I know you've said it, but considering what you've spent it'll cost pennies, get the steering wheel to Jack at Royal steering wheels!!! It'll make such an improvement.

Thank you matey, much appreciated.

There's a guy on the s2k forums that does retrims. He lives in crewe so I can only presume he works for Bentley doing something similar as his retrims look awesome...

44d3c38bd068a3aadc407a760bf4e263.jpg

He offers a swap service so no wait time and can do different colour stitching, thickness etc.

Looks superb.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thank you matey, much appreciated.

There's a guy on the s2k forums that does retrims. He lives in crewe so I can only presume he works for Bentley doing something similar as his retrims look awesome...

44d3c38bd068a3aadc407a760bf4e263.jpg

He offers a swap service so no wait time and can do different colour stitching, thickness etc.

Looks superb.
That's almost identical to the wheel I had done for the z4, best thing I've done in the car I think, well, that and the seats.

e6f589bc-2913-45ec-af2e-3b02e6114e44_zpsee5fcb21.jpg

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
That's almost identical to the wheel I had done for the z4, best thing I've done in the car I think, well, that and the seats.

e6f589bc-2913-45ec-af2e-3b02e6114e44_zpsee5fcb21.jpg

Looks amazing mate, I'll be getting mine swapped out shortly when funds allow...Damn house buying.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Cheers guys, really appreciate the comments. A lot of time, money and effort has been invested in this car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This is such a nice example. A friend of mine has had two, the second of which he wrapped around a tree trunk unfortunately.

I'm trying to decide if I could live with two seats and if I could one of these would/could be on my short list...especially considering their position in their depreciation curve and the fact that I'm not doing the annual mileage I once was. If I'm honest, I really miss NA throttle response. The ST's a good fun little thing...but I'm not 18 any more LOL

I've never ventured onto any owners forums...are there any absolute must things to check when viewing or are they generally rock solid Honda engineering...and a well looked after and maintained one is a safe bet?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Yes, rust, knocking engine (caused by oil starvation) and crash damage are the key areas.

Most cars will now either have a tatty roof or be on their second. Check the boot for water as drainage holes can block over time.

The rear quarters and inner arch are spot welded so remove the rubber protector and give both sides a thorough check. Honda really seemed to skimp on the underseal front.

Honda OEM paint is also very thin so don't be surprised if it's seen some paint in its life. Just make sure all the panels line up etc.

They're certainly increasing in value. If you can stomach paying 12k for a 10 year old car and are willing to take good care of it you won't stand to lose any money.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Drove one a couple of weeks back. I enjoyed it. No torque and required a change in driving style, but I liked the balance, brakes and box. The driving position was a bit of a let down too.

Nice car though!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Drove one a couple of weeks back. I enjoyed it. No torque and required a change in driving style, but I liked the balance, brakes and box. The driving position was a bit of a let down too.

Nice car though!

Yes, it's definitely not a car for the average lazy driver. You get out what you put in IMO. The box is the business and I'm a big fan of the driving position but then I'm not really that tall at 5'11.

For the money I think it's a fantastic car, certainly an occasion.

It could do with a little more power. It's no quicker than you average hot hatch and in gear it's pretty sluggish.

Reactions: Ali

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Mate's on about selling his now. Wasn't too keen on having to fork out £3k for a new engine if his went pop.

Still like them. I've driven his and the only real complaint is that it's a bit gutless when you move off. But other than that, it's great. As above, dat gearbox! I also just love cars that properly cocoon you with everything within a foot of your face, the S2k does it nicely when the roof's up.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Mate's on about selling his now. Wasn't too keen on having to fork out £3k for a new engine if his went pop.

Still like them. I've driven his and the only real complaint is that it's a bit gutless when you move off. But other than that, it's great. As above, dat gearbox! I also just love cars that properly cocoon you with everything within a foot of your face, the S2k does it nicely when the roof's up.

Completely agree mate!

What makes him think his engine is going to go pop? There's plenty on 150k+ over on s2ki. As long as it's been looked after and regularly serviced it'll be fine for years.

S2k's are renowned for heat soak at standstill. It's even worse if you remove the air box lid. When setting off its lumpy at the best of times.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
He's had a misfire problem (which ultimately turned out to be a dodgy sensor!), died on him at one point (as a result of the misfire problem) and all the valve clearances needed doing. It's mainly paranoia!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
He's had a misfire problem (which ultimately turned out to be a dodgy sensor!), died on him at one point (as a result of the misfire problem) and all the valve clearances needed doing. It's mainly paranoia!

Ha yeah sounds like it.

Ultimately it's an old car now but they're pretty bullet proof if cared for.

The box and clutch is good for 450bhp providing you go easy.

Just stumbled across this thread, great to see another S2000 owner on here! And both 2006 Moonrock GT's no less! Superb looking example, the respray looks fantastic. I absolutely love mine, had it for just over 2 years and have loved every second! Well, almost every second- had a very, very close call on the icy M62 around 3 weeks ago which I was lucky to escape from unscathed, but aside from that it's been 2 years of bliss. Any more updates on this?

Also, I disagree with the high insurance costs mentioned above, I'm only paying £400 through Churchill and I'm only 25 and with 3 years NCB.

Listerine & Poledo
So when's the 400hp Supercharger going in ;)

Seriously though, what are these like for corrosion? I note you had it undersealed on purchase but early-mid 2000's jap steel is mostly as water resistant as toilet paper. :/

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looked at these the other day, and was shocked to see how well (bad for me) they're holding their value! Crazy money :(

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just stumbled across this thread, great to see another S2000 owner on here! And both 2006 Moonrock GT's no less! Superb looking example, the respray looks fantastic. I absolutely love mine, had it for just over 2 years and have loved every second! Well, almost every second- had a very, very close call on the icy M62 around 3 weeks ago which I was lucky to escape from unscathed, but aside from that it's been 2 years of bliss. Any more updates on this?

Also, I disagree with the high insurance costs mentioned above, I'm only paying £400 through Churchill and I'm only 25 and with 3 years NCB.

Hey Jack!

Thanks for the positive comments.

Yes, go easy. Road conditions during this time of the year are definitely S2000 killers lol. There's nothing worst than hitting a pile of wet leaves.

TBH my car has been sat in the garage over the past 4 months. I don't think it's done more that 50 miles since September. I have been doing stuff to it but nothing significant (replacing bits of trim etc). The highlight was probably the new steering wheel that I fitted last weekend.

d7da216216d74fd060725ba67db4b925.jpg

Any plans for yours?

Look after it, I don't think they'll drop in value anytime soon.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
So when's the 400hp Supercharger going in ;)

Seriously though, what are these like for corrosion? I note you had it undersealed on purchase but early-mid 2000's jap steel is mostly as water resistant as toilet paper. :/

Haha that's the end goal. With moving house and having a kid on the way I'm not sure it'll happen anytime soon though unfortunately.

I'm just chuffed I was able to to get it back to as new condition prior to moving etc. the new house has a big garage so the car will be stored away safely and only used in dry conditions.

Corrosion is a big problem. The main area of contention is between the rear wheel arches. Rot creeps in between the inner and outer arch and eats away from the inside out. Here's a picture which shows how the inner and outer arch are spot welded together:

6c6934a2acf0ddeb2bc6bb7955b78c9f.jpg

The car needs to be treated otherwise it's just a waiting game. I'm planning on treating mine again this weekend. This is the best stuff to buy:

For between the inner and out arch:

af383bc36dda4e11bb08c34a67f65646.jpg

For inside the rear arch:

b0e5c47ad04303fb6e425249aff11b18.jpg

You can get between the inner and outer arch by removing the boot trim. Obviously this kind of treatment is beyond your average underseal job but is most important IMO.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Looked at these the other day, and was shocked to see how well (bad for me) they're holding their value! Crazy money :(

Unfortunately they'll only get pricier with more and more getting written off or rusting away.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Haha that's the end goal. With moving house and having a kid on the way I'm not sure it'll happen anytime soon though unfortunately.

I'm just chuffed I was able to to get it back to as new condition prior to moving etc. the new house has a big garage so the car will be stored away safely and only used in dry conditions.

Corrosion is a big problem. The main area of contention is between the rear wheel arches. Rot creeps in between the inner and outer arch and eats away from the inside out. Here's a picture which shows how the inner and outer arch are spot welded together:

6c6934a2acf0ddeb2bc6bb7955b78c9f.jpg

The car needs to be treated otherwise it's just a waiting game. I'm planning on treating mine again this weekend. This is the best stuff to buy:

For between the inner and out arch:

af383bc36dda4e11bb08c34a67f65646.jpg

For inside the rear arch:

b0e5c47ad04303fb6e425249aff11b18.jpg

You can get between the inner and outer arch by removing the boot trim. Obviously this kind of treatment is beyond your average underseal job but is most important IMO.
That stuff great mate, my impreza is full of it. [emoji2]

Listerine & Poledo
Yep, unless you double the weight of a Mazda with underseal it also turns to a pile of brown dust overnight.

Get that blower fitted!!!!! :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yep, unless you double the weight of a Mazda with underseal it also turns to a pile of brown dust overnight.

Get that blower fitted!!!!! :)

Haha! Are the recent versions as bad as as the originals?

I'd love to fit a blower. May be one day soon ☹️

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
That stuff great mate, my impreza is full of it. [emoji2]

Haha yes. Fingers crossed it keeps the tin worm at bay.

I'm fortunate as mine is in very good shape. It's probably got something to do with the fact it's only done 45k in 10 years and has always been garaged. I'm lucky.

Listerine & Poledo
Haha! Are the recent versions as bad as as the originals?

Mk.3 (the fatter one) was better, but not invulnerable
Mk.4 is too new to tell, but all the people I know with them aren't taking any chances

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
When mine was unsealed it was absolutely caked on. Including the sills and all that.
Best way.

Only way mate!

Parts for these are getting so expensive now.

Along with the new steering wheel and gaiter I replaced the drivers dash surround, start button, vents etc. the start button alone was £100! I've also got new front wheel arch trims and a new screen washer motor to install (mysteriously stopped working a few weeks back).

Next up will be a new alpine head unit with Bluetooth connectivity. Annoyingly Alpine haven't updated their single din range since 2013/14. Surely they have to be updating their line up at some point?

I also fancy a moddiction countersunk engraved anvil 2 gear knob to replace my Mugen.

c158801e2a44cac460b6cf3e426a66ed.jpg

Unfortunately they're not currently in stock and are in very short supply when they do get them in.

Once that's done I think I'll be finished on the aesthetics front. Next up if anything will be a new exhaust and supercharger.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Only way mate!

Parts for these are getting so expensive now.

Along with the new steering wheel and gaiter I replaced the drivers dash surround, start button, vents etc. the start button alone was £100! I've also got new front wheel arch trims and a new screen washer motor to install (mysteriously stopped working a few weeks back).

Next up will be a new alpine head unit with Bluetooth connectivity. Annoyingly Alpine haven't updated their single din range since 2013/14. Surely they have to be updating their line up at some point?

I also fancy a moddiction countersunk engraved anvil 2 gear knob to replace my Mugen.

c158801e2a44cac460b6cf3e426a66ed.jpg

Unfortunately they're not currently in stock and are in very short supply when they do get them in.

Once that's done I think I'll be finished on the aesthetics front. Next up if anything will be a new exhaust and supercharger.

Where did you get the start button from? Is this the same?
http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select...onda-s2000-engine-start-button-universal.html

Gear knob...I love mine.
http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select...nda-6-speed-gear-knob-shift-10mm-x-1-5mm.html

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Cheers mate!

I was actually looking at this one because of the larger screen.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pr..._p-31179.htm?gclid=CKPIwNaq8dACFe-97QodoP4Huw

I'm not really interested in DAB because of the extra wires and it's only a matter of time until internet radio takes over. A integrated CD player isn't that important either.

I've been holding off just in case they release a new range. No idea when that will be but surely it can't be too far away.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

I emailed Tegiwa and they quoted me £90 for a U.K. guaranteed part. I have a feeling these are U.S. shipped parts hence the discount. I ended up getting mine from Hendy Honda. I've ordered loads off stuff from Si @ Hendy. He's awesome.

The skunk 2 is nice but I just can't get on with the vulgar branding down the side. It's also not countersunk unfortunately.

Listerine & Poledo
Cheers mate!

I was actually looking at this one because of the larger screen.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pr..._p-31179.htm?gclid=CKPIwNaq8dACFe-97QodoP4Huw

I'm not really interested in DAB because of the extra wires and it's only a matter of time until internet radio takes over. A integrated CD player isn't that important either.

I've been holding off just in case they release a new range. No idea when that will be but surely it can't be too far away.

Thats a nice screen, but wont you have it hidden under its flap 90% of the time anyway?
1.13 here ;)

The one I linked was a no-drive unit too, you're right, what's the point

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thats a nice screen, but wont you have it hidden under its flap 90% of the time anyway?
1.13 here ;)

The one I linked was a no-drive unit too, you're right, what's the point

Yes mate, that's is true lol.

Oh the other thing I bought which I'm yet to fit is a original CR (US club racer (CR) special edition) radio cover.

6cc91b018fcd1fa336aa6a24aa1442a5.jpg