ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Backbox Just Exploded! Literally!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
ok to cut a long story short, been having car probs recently and i just went to halfords and bought some radweld (had a leak soemwhere!), anyway stuck it in and off i went car was driving fine so then i get about 4 miles away and suddenly the car is surronded in steam! cudnt see out front or back! quickly pulled over and popped the bonnet and soon realsied that 1 of the water pipes had split sending water all over the hot engine! anyway i started the engine again and it wsnt leaking to bad so i think ok ill drive it home and keep an eye on temp gauge, got halfway(about 3/4 mile) and the car conked out, i tried starting it again and i managed to get it going althought it was spluttering, i then got a furthur 100 yards b4 it cut out again, i treid starting it again and again but it just kept trying to start and not going and also made a few small backfires, i pumped the accelerator a few times to try and get it going and then all of a sudden the mother of all backfires! BOOOOOOOOOOOOM! i nearly s**t myself! thought the engine had blownup!!! ppl came out fo their houses to see what happened! anyway i thought oh fuk and rang my dad, he turned up in the van and then cut the pipe b4 the split and rejoined it to the engine where it was going origianlly, then we got water from a garage and on the way bak we pulled up behind my car and i notice somehting sticking down frm belew near the exhuast, i get out and get a torch and take a look under and the back box has split clean in 2! i cud fit my fist into the side of the box!!! obviously the big backfire had blown it up! anyway we refilled the water and i started the car and it sounded liek a dragster then i drove in the 1 mile home and it drove perfect! wtf! :eek: :mad: :dapprove: :S i am totally f**king confused!

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
jesus dude, no wonder you sh*t yerself, happened to my mates clio, i think the mechanic told him it was some sort of blockage? not too sure though,

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i think it was a build up of unburnt petrol that got pumped out of the the engine and wen it hit the exhaust it exploded frm the heat and the backbox was the weakest part of the system!

The sender for the gauge is right next to the CTS on the energy head. If no water is circulating then the sender will be inaccurate. It will still show a reading though as the sender is partly metal and so will absorb any surrounding heat from the head anyway. You'll find it was much hotter than the reading suggested.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
woudl the radweld caused a build up of pressure making the pipe split?

surely the radweld wudnt clog up anything it shouldnt?

Tangoed Works
Sorry mate but that story just cracked me up LOL. I can so imagine that thing exploding. It reminds me of when my mate was racing some beemer in his fiesta xr2 with rs turbo lump installed. The exhaust literally blew up as loud as, and the joke thing is he kept on going till the BM was dust lol.

Hope you get the car sorted though!

Mk1 1.4RT
Mate of mine had some old Mitsubishi saloon type thing of a courtesy car whilst his lupo was being repaired after an accident, he'd deliberately cause the exhaust to flame by killing the engine whilst driving, thumping the gas a bit then restarting or something along those lines.

Anyways poor car couldn't take it and the backbox split in two with a loud bang the day before he had to return it. Put the crap up us too :eek:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Mate of mine had some old Mitsubishi saloon type thing of a courtesy car whilst his lupo was being repaired after an accident, he'd deliberately cause the exhaust to flame by killing the engine whilst driving, thumping the gas a bit then restarting or something along those lines.

Anyways poor car couldn't take it and the backbox split in two with a loud bang the day before he had to return it. Put the crap up us too :eek:

oh so this does happen if u send alot of unburnt petrol down the zorst, i was wondering how the fuk the back box split lol!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
just thought i would update this thread and show you the pics of the backbox after i took it off lol

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 128

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Can't believe you drove it with a split like that in the pipe! Also wow thats extreme!

impreza sti prodrive
:lolup: lol. that story is funny as....
heard of it hapning before aswell lyk.;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i sorted it a few months ago car is now sold but i just found the pics on my comp the other nite lol