ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My blackened out xenon headlight

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Well after looking at the car i began to hate the headlights as not only was they grey inserts but it was to much reflective silver/chrome in the headlights so after trying to cook them in the oven and when't Pete tong.
16526616.gif

I bought a pair of non xenon's that had black insert's and awesome lenses :) so attacked them with a dremel after keeping the insert's and lenses i binned the rest. So began to dremel the lenses of mine after all weekend stripping sanding priming and spraying this is what the final outcome looks like :).
Before.
87e1616a.gif

After.
498b1d58.gif

68deaef3.gif

"Navy" N17 TWO
So that's what you were up to lol

How did you get the old lenses off the "xenon" cluster then? :)

BlackGold 182
Will be interesting to see what looks like on car, done it to all the other cars I've owned but not seen done on a Clio

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Seen this on youtube mainly Americans, I like the end results but I would have left the main beam reflective, surely an MOT failure as it measures the amount of light coming off.
easier option until someone manages to bake the lights properly to seperate them may be just to use smoked Lamin-X
In the mean time still waiting for a decent guide.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
So that's what you were up to lol

How did you get the old lenses off the "xenon" cluster then? :)

Lol i didn't want to say nothing just incase i changed my mind, I've still got another mad idea in my head that I'll be doing on my other spare xenon and no I'm not giving any clues lol.

Do you mean the glass dome that holds the xenon bulb? If so it bolts and screws on behind the rear chrome surround.

But if your on about the lenses on the front the clear plastic i used a dremel to cut them off saving the rear black housing on my xenon's, and with the non xenon's i dremel'd the black housing saving the lenses and insert's :).

Will be interesting to see what looks like on car, done it to all the other cars I've owned but not seen done on a Clio

I'll get a pic up 2morrow for you dude

Why do everything?

Whats the deal with MOT's etc?

Because it's different and looks mean :).

Not sure about the MOT's yet car ain't long had a test so will find out in a years time lol

Does the chrome that you have blacked out not have any reflective duties?

No it's been sprayed matt black so no reflective left, although it wont be as bright on the main beam i'll purchase rally high watt bulbs to over come that.

Seen this on youtube mainly Americans, I like the end results but I would have left the main beam reflective, surely an MOT failure as it measures the amount of light coming off.
easier option until someone manages to bake the lights properly to seperate them may be just to use smoked Lamin-X
In the mean time still waiting for a decent guide.

I only put the light in the oven for 4min on gas mark 4 and as you have seen melted the lens, better option that I done with my spare xenon was bucket of boiling hot water leave the corner submerged for 5mins and start to pri apart with a screw driver and Stanley blade to help slice the sealant keep repeating the progress along the under Neath of the light as you will deform the black casing slightly.

With the reflective part on the main beam area i'll just purchase high watt rally bulbs upto 160w compared to the normal 55w.

Problem with using the Lamin-x won't it chip from stones chucked up by other cars?.

Last edited by a moderator:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
I heard rally bulbs will melt the cluster! :eek: and they are not road legal either (obviously they are rally bulbs) lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I heard rally bulbs will melt the cluster! :eek: and they are not road legal either (obviously they are rally bulbs) lol

I'll give my friend a call 2morrow and confirm if the bulbs will melt the cluster he's a rally driver so he should know, I'll also post a pic of the lights fitted with the lights on so you can see how bright the lights are.
Hense why i was going to fit brighter bulbs to over come the dullish main beam.

BlackGold 182
Yea I agree in the past I have only done the surrounding black not the actual reflective part so that the lights still would pass mot and be road legal

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Because it's different and looks mean :).

Not sure about the MOT's yet car ain't long had a test so will find out in a years time lol

Only asked because i like to use my lights including fullbeam.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
As promised here's a pic fitted Bk in the car bare in mind my car is undergoing a full respray so its all been da'd ready, so 1st pic with all lights turned off and then second pic is with main beam on but i disconnected my xenon as it was bright as hell and glared the pics, so i've already ordered my 100watt rally bulbs for my main beam hoping they will brighten the main beam up so still be ok for MOT.
21421fbc.gif

c4e06f9b.gif

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Only asked because i like to use my lights including fullbeam.

Sorry mate but I wasn't been sarcastic or anything.

With the full beam i very really use it and if i do it's only for 2mins.

Yea I agree in the past I have only done the surrounding black not the actual reflective part so that the lights still would pass mot and be road legal

What have you used to mask of the reflective parts in the past?.
When i was masking the reflective part i used masking tape so not that sticky and as soon as i pulled the masking tape off as i over shot the line it pulled patches of the reflective off :(, hence why the hole thing is black.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
What sealant did you use to bond the lense back onto the body?

I havnt sealed it back in yet as my paint suppliers was closed yesterday (bloody bank holidays) lol.
I'll be using worth bond and seal in black or what other's may know it as is tiger seal.

Evo 8 MR
Difficult to tell if I like it or not with the close ups, I prefer the standard look though.

Definitely need to do something with the main beam.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Difficult to tell if I like it or not with the close ups, I prefer the standard look though.

Definitely need to do something with the main beam.

Yes I've already ordered higher watt rally bulbs 100w so I'm hoping they will cure the problem with the brighness.

I've only managed to do the one headlight atmo just to see what it looked like, i still have a pair of xenon's in the garage with the lenses taken off and all the reflective stuff untouched so i could always put it bk to standard look if i wanted.

I'll get round to fitting the standard on one side and the blackened out one so people can see what they like.

BlackGold 182
I'm pretty sure no matter what bulbs you buy tey will fail mot.

In past I have masked around the edges and stuffed with newspaper so that the reflective part is still there

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I'm pretty sure no matter what bulbs you buy tey will fail mot.

In past I have masked around the edges and stuffed with newspaper so that the reflective part is still there

I'll get in contact with a friend that's a MOT feasted and find out as I'm pretty sure they only test the light pattern on dipped light not main beam but I'll confirm when I get hold of him.

What masking tape did you use? as i used masking tape that painters use to prep cars so not that sticky compared to other masking tapes but it still pulled the reflective off :(.

The 100w bulbs will melt the bulb housing, and the rubber seal to stop dirt from getting in. Plus the main beam won't be much brighter anyway because there's nothing to direct the light onto the road.
They would have looked better if you had just bought some black lamin x or some aftermarket black lights

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Just spoke to my friend that's a MOT tester and the only thing they test a pattern on is dipped headlights NOT main beam so i'm pretty sure they will be ok as the xenon casing hasn't been touched but i won't find out until i have the car up and running on the road and visit his place to test the pattern.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
The 100w bulbs will melt the bulb housing, and the rubber seal to stop dirt from getting in. Plus the main beam won't be much brighter anyway because there's nothing to direct the light onto the road.
They would have looked better if you had just bought some black lamin x or some aftermarket black lights

I've never heard of lamin-x before 2day an yet no one will answer my question won't it not chip from stones being chucked up from cars infront?.

If I have to i'll just leave it as it is with the 55w bulb and don't use main beam as i very very rarely use it anyway.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Default.asp

No it doesnt chip and yes it would have given you your desired look..

Thanks for that dude, next time i'll just use lamin-x

That's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)

Read the above, then realise how you've knackered your headlights.

Yes ok i've taken all the reflective off giving no change of light direction (out to the road) but this is a spare xenon headlight that i've got in the garage so why not have a go.
Trail and error and yes admitidly i've lost the brightness on the main beam but that can all be put back right (if i wanted to) with a simple job of replacing the reflective parts Bk to std in the headlight.
Simples in a meerkat style lol

Just spoke to my friend that's a MOT tester and the only thing they test a pattern on is dipped headlights NOT main beam so i'm pretty sure they will be ok as the xenon casing hasn't been touched but i won't find out until i have the car up and running on the road and visit his place to test the pattern.

Not. A. Chance. In. Hell

And the minute you drive at night you're going to die
They are reflective for a reason - it amplifies the light from the bulb and directs it downwards at the road.
Now you've sprayed it all black you'll lose well over half off the light and it will have no direction so what light they do emit will dissapear into the sky and blind everyone else

Crazy crazy idea

It looks good, but it's ridiculous.

For the record; Lamin-X doesn't work on Clio headlights due to the two different curvatures. I know, I did it on mine.

40856_453295589458_778874458_6211228_770166_n.jpg

It peeled off shortly afterwards.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Here you go for all you people saying about the pattern and reflection i just fitted both headlights one standard and the other i sprayed now you tell me if there is no pattern and it's dull compared to the other bare in mind the car is parked about 4/5 feet away from the wall.
ed33a2b4.gif

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
From your picture it hasn't altered the pattern, but it is atleast 70% less bright than the regular ones. Added to the fact it looks sh*t and you've got one pretty pointless mod.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
From your picture it hasn't altered the pattern, but it is atleast 70% less bright than the regular ones. Added to the fact it looks sh*t and you've got one pretty pointless mod.

Ok which one looks brighter then?, you might think it looks sh*t but that's your opinion and your more than welcome to a opinion, as to a pointless mod ok yes it doesn't give me any extra bhp but then it's a cosmetic mod that stands out from others like most of my other mods.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but it stands out because it as A) Illegal and B) looks crap.

The only people that will think it looks remotely good are people with Burberry caps or cataracts.

Edit: And it is the right one which is very dull. I.e the headlight you have ruined.