ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My blackened out xenon headlight

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Correct... The right one, as I look at that picture.

And your about to tell me that its the other one you've messed with, right?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Ok to give you all a shock here is a pic with one standard and the other sprayed notice what side they are and compare to the pattern pic above.
b28a1ae7.jpg

Why yes a BIG surprise the brighter light above is actually the one i sprayed enough said.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Wow I did not see that coming!

And of course we all believe you! Pull the other one. It is physically impossible for your pikey black headlights to emit more light than the standard unit. Absolutely impossible.

All that picture did is confirm that it looks sh*t.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Wow I did not see that coming!

And of course we all believe you! Pull the other one. It is physically impossible for your pikey black headlights to emit more light than the standard unit. Absolutely impossible.

All that picture did is confirm that it looks sh*t.

Well the pics are there to prove it, I'm not sad to photoshop it your all more than welcome to come and see the car yourself if you want to be proved wrong.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Why's it got a black eye?

Are you on about the xenon bulb capsule? If so it's the reflection off the black sprayed parts.

Lol just realised what you was on about,
I put the sprayed one against the standard to show people that the one they said was dull looking on the pattern pic test (page2) was actually the standard headlight.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i may be wrong but doesnt the left hand headight produce a longer beam than the right one due to us driving on the left hand side, to avoid blinding people coming the other way.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
i may be wrong but doesnt the left hand headight produce a longer beam than the right one due to us driving on the left hand side, to avoid blinding people coming the other way.
No mate there both the same it's just the pattern that stops the light from blinding oncoming drivers,
In the uk our headlight pattern flicks up on the left 2wards our n/s and in other countries Such as Germany/France there pattern flick up on the right to the o/s.
If that makes sense lol.

Last edited:
  Clio Mk2 PH1 1.4 16v
dip beam is the only lamp that the beam pattern is checked. if its not then vosa will be taking my mot tester card right off me. yes main beam will be tad dull, but no way is it illegal. bar the bulbs being 160w. which i do reckon will melt the lens.

fair play. i like it.

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.4 16v
No mate there both the same it's just the pattern that stops the light from blinding oncoming drivers,
In the uk our headlight pattern flicks up on the left 2wards our n/s and in other countries Such as Germany/France there pattern flick up on the right to the o/s.
If that makes sense lol.

correct hence why you fit beam adjustment stickers to your lamps when abroad

M3, Cup racer'd 182
dip beam is the only lamp that the beam pattern is checked. if its not then vosa will be taking my mot tester card right off me. yes main beam will be tad dull, but no way is it illegal. bar the bulbs being 160w. which i do reckon will melt the lens.

fair play. i like it.

Thank you for confirming :), Im glad someone else likes it me personally i think it's stealth looking :), I can live with the dull main beam as i very very rarely use it anyway.
Yes i spoke to my friend that's a rally driver and asked him about fitting the higher watt bulbs not only did he say don't do it as it may melt the lens he also said i'd have to upgrade the wires and fit a relay coz it would melt the wires :(, so that's ok i'll just have to live with no main beams so not the end of the world.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Wo, slow down brosif - you can't be trend setting just yet. You don't have white turinis, or a white ARB :quiet:

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I like it, forget the haters! its your car! id do it if i had a spare light haha

All you need is a pair of black inserts non xenon for the lenses get them from eBay there cheap enough.

I'll post a detailed write up this Sunday for others if they want to do the same.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Wo, slow down brosif - you can't be trend setting just yet. You don't have white turinis, or a white ARB :quiet:

Lol, I do have White wheels ok not turinis there inovit ST VI, sorry i left my ARB silver looks like i'll have to change the colour now. Lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I've come up with a theory as to why my so called pikey (RDM's words) light seams brighter.
Do the same as i did in the pattern test so park the car head on to a wall and take out just one side light bulb from your car (but leave the other in) and then turn your lights on and see what happens.
My theory is as follows with your lights on dipped the side light's are also illuminated but as you have the reflective silver it will also reflect the side light and make the light appear yellow ish hence looking dull.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Is this a track car?

My intention while doing my project was to build a road legal track car as i couldn't afford to have a few grand + the 6k i also spent on it just sat doing nothing until i use it.

But i'll be using it on the road only to travel back and forth to track days and a few occasional meets so mainly day time use anyway but if i get cought short out at night then i still have headlights :).

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
My intention while doing my project was to build a road legal track car as i couldn't afford to have a few grand + the 6k i also spent on it just sat doing nothing until i use it.

But i'll be using it on the road only to travel back and forth to track days and a few occasional meets so mainly day time use anyway but if i get cought short out at night then i still have headlights :).

Well you've failed already because your lights aren't road legal.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Well you've failed already because your lights aren't road legal.

And what part of claire90 post didn't you not read On page 3?, he's a MOT tester so i'd rather take his advise as he knows what he's talking about.
So what proof do you have to say that the light is a MOT failure other than saying it?.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I was going to stick up for you, but then you mentioned Inovit wheels.

I like them but i would have masked the chrome bit off the xenon pod, i think that looks great just the shape of it.&nbsp;<br>

If im honest the standard black xenons look fine and i wouldnt touch them unless changing the bulb colour, but its something different so hats off, especially if its a track car.

Attachments

• xenons.jpg
    xenons.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 76

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
And what part of claire90 post didn't you not read On page 3?, he's a MOT tester so i'd rather take his advise as he knows what he's talking about.
So what proof do you have to say that the light is a MOT failure other than saying it?.
Regardless of full beam, I'm pretty sure they will have something to say about your barely visable front indicator.

RB One Eight Two
Still not a fan. If its purely a track car then fair enough, but as your trying to make it into a 'road legal track car' it isn't a good look.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
They look ok, but i suspect the beam pattern will make driving at night using main beam pretty darn difficult not to mention dangerous... :nono:

EDIT: is it a dedicated track car?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
if it was a 100% track car then i'd say i like it, but if your using it on the road too, then no, keep it standard

260% JCW
r56blackheadlight.gif

They've been doing this to the R56 headlights for a while, looks good IMO.

The CS sheep will always hate those who don't have Turinis,Tow straps ect ect.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all sorry about the late reply been busy finishing off the other headlights so there all done and sealed, just waiting for the worth to set and put them on the car :).

Here's the finished lights notice i've got a spare n/s that's because i got another idea regarding a custom CAF.
5d373f58.gif