ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my car died..long read but urgent help needed

hey guys,

was driving to Reading on saturday morning, its about a 45minute drive from where i live. car was running fine had no problems in the journey there until when i got into the car park all of a sudden my car just died and cut out.

Now i was going up one of those spirel entrances in 1st gear quite slowly and then just as i turned out of it my car suddenly cut out and for a few minutes the hazrd light on the dash for an electrical fault lit up. My sound system was still running fine at the time so i turned the car off, tried starting it again several times but nothing at all so managaed to push it into a parking space out of the way. This was about 10minutes after the car had died and i decided to try starting it again just to check and it started up first time fine. Since this i have driven back from reading and out and about with no problems what so ever.

Problem i have though is that i am worried it may do this again to me and as i have to drive to London to work evryday i am worried it might break down again. I am getting it checked into a garage tomorrow but they have said it will be very hard for them to tell whats wrong unless it doesnt work when they have it as it could be so many possible things causing it.

Just wondering if you guys can help me out?my car on occasions around once a week at the most fails to start up first time, im guessing a new starter motor may be needed but surely this has nothing to do with the above problem as the car was running before it died. Can it be loose wires under the bonnet?problem with the coil?any help much appreciated as im not an expert when it comes to electrics on cars!sorry for the long post just have tried to give as much info as i can to help

cheers jon

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Strange, could be a fault in the ignition circuit, a vacuum leak someware, as the mech said, will be a hard one to sort i would imagine..

Could be a TDC censer what model is it might help.

Assuming its a newer Clio then Renault are your best bet get them to plug into your car and see what faults have been logged.

its a 1997 mk 1 phase 3, speaking to a guy at work that used to be a mechanic he reckons its a problem with the edi unit and amplifier, is this common?

Half stripped mk2 172
That is the ignition circuit mate, probably the coil pack overheated and cutting out. Then as soon as it cools down it just lets you start up again.

Vince

RenaultSport clio 182
I had a similar thing on a 6 month old Audi when I parked it on a steep uphill slope. Turned the key and nothing...
To cut a long story short, one battery terminal was loose. Because of the angle of the slope, the terminal moved just enough to break the connection, so check your terminals.
If this isn't the answer, sorry - it's about as technical as I get! :clown:

im pretty sure it wasnt one of the battery terminals as i looked at them a while after and they were on tight.

In terms of the ignition circuit how bad is this?is it easy to sort out?expensive?