ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car is imported, does it HAVE to have 'GB' on the front plate?

RB FF 182
As title really.

Does my car HAVE to have GB on the front number plate as it's an import...??

Thinking of getting the smaller front plate and wanted to check before ordering.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Let me get this straight.

You're contemplating ordering a smaller plate, which in its self is 'illegal'; but you're worried about having a GB badge on said plate?

:S

RB FF 182
Meh...

Point taken. :approve:

Also interested in general, as I would just like a plain plate (whichever size I choose).

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you had to have a GB on any plate, unless you want to drive on the continent without a silly GB badge?

RB FF 182
Maybe the original owner flipped back and forth or something then...

The car is a UK spec and as far as I can see was imported from new so... It's a 2002 on an '02. I can't find any differences between mine and a non imported model.
Mine doesn't have an alarm but I think thats because it's an early model... correct?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You will be OK mate - Doesn't make a difference if its an import I don't think. It's still a registered UK car.

Besides they aren't compulsory anyway.

RB FF 182
Sweet thanks!!

Trip to hellfrauds for a plain plate tomorrow then!! Can't be bothered with the hastle of getting pulled over for a smaller plate, regardless of how much better they look.

Looking for 182
On the subject of these Clio imports, which aren't really imports, but are, if that makes sense (no alarm, no window etchings, no locking wheel nuts).

Are they worth less? I bought my car, not knowing anything about these imports, and then later found out that an alarm should be standard. I'm just worried that I got done over a bit, and that my car is worth less because of this.

Mk5 golf gti
Meh mine was an import but price etc was never affected tbh

as nobody seems to know

i thought the imports came with an alarm but it was fitted seperate think mine came with a laserline

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I was glad mine was an import - no window etchings rock ;)

Aftermarket alarm to replace the basic renault one - set of locking nuts - done!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Toad Ai606 on my williams was £230 all in - great alarm that...

This already had the alarm when I bought it.

BMW M135i
On the subject of these Clio imports, which aren't really imports, but are, if that makes sense (no alarm, no window etchings, no locking wheel nuts).

Are they worth less? I bought my car, not knowing anything about these imports, and then later found out that an alarm should be standard. I'm just worried that I got done over a bit, and that my car is worth less because of this.
To someone that knows what they're on about, yes imo. In the real world 99% of people don't have a clue about it. I wouldn't loose sleep over it anyway.