ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Cat has Rotten Away!

BMW 320d SE
Exhaust started blowing the other day. Took it to ATS today, and the Cat has rusted through around the back, and is blowing into the heatshield. The car is booked in at Renault on Thursday for them to have a look. What I want to know is, will they replace it under warranty? The car is less than 3 years old, but I have an aftermarket s/s cat-back system on. Will that make that any difference?

80MPG BEEZA
still dont think your cat shud have rotted away within 3 years mines 3 years old and its fine

If there is anything modified that links to the CAT directly i.e. Full exhaust etc. I think its pretty standard Renault policy not to replace repair under warrenty.

Thats what i was led to beleve but ive heard otherwise also

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They might replace it under the warranty , having a different exhaust linked to it " might " cause a problem , depends on the dealership though , some are more helpful than others .

Just be civil with them until they tell you what they will do . If they do kick up a fuss about your aftemarket exhaust then put your foot down and insist that its nothing to to with your exhaust and that you will contact ren customer services .

BMW 320d SE
^ Yeah that's what I thought. They did say it would depend on whether the cat had hot anything etc etc, but I explained to them that it had just rusted through near the flared end - it's got absolutely nothing to do with the s/s exhaust, it's just crappy poor quality renault steel.

The ECU should have ajsted its fuleing as part of its open loop fueling so it shulnd't have failed. I'd guess the cats a manurfacturing failure or your car is overfueling.

BMW 320d SE
edde said:
The ECU should have ajsted its fuleing as part of its open loop fueling so it shulnd't have failed. I'd guess the cats a manurfacturing failure or your car is overfueling.
I think you no understand! ;)
The cat is working fine, but has rusted through completely, is blowing like mad, and is about to fall off!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
mine broke (not rusted) christmas time and the car was 18 months old and it was replaced no problem the car had done approx 9000 miles, providing you have not gone to the moon and back you should'nt have a problem as they should last more than 3 years

BMW 320d SE
Took the Clio into Renault today. They agreed that the cat needed replacing and suggested that I pay half and they pay half! So I asked if it was covered under warranty, to which they said yes. So I said that there was no way I was paying for a part that they've said is covered under warranty, so they backed down and are going to pay for the whole thing. :rolleyes:
Cheeky bar-stewards. :mad:

BMW 320d SE
What was until very recently Swan Renault of Chichester - I'd had enough of being messed around by Sewards Renault of Portsmouth! :rolleyes: