ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio, the new Clio or an Ibiza D

VW Potato

troops, bit of a car conundrum. I was going to sell the Clio at the end of May when it hits three years/36k. I was going to buy an Ibiza 1.9TDi SE. Reason being that Im sick to the back teeth of paying high insurance, petrol every week, and tyres every 10k. I want to beat the system a bit and stick two fingers up spiralling running costs, plus Ive also had my fill of hot hatches now. But theres one major problem...I really, really love the Clios character and Id hate to see it go. So do I:

1) Sell it and buy the Ibiza as planned and wallow in the satisfaction of knowing Im saving a bit of money, or...
2) Keep my Clio until 50k...and then buy the next generation Clio "182", as that looks like a real hottie! (but that means another hot hatch!). Hmmmm.

Thoughts?

g

ST

Mate of mine has the new Ibiza Tdi - 6spd 130 sport, nippy car, well built, handles pretty well too. The MPG is pretty good too, he doesnt do any long motorway at all, just local driving mostly where he boots it most of the time and still returns 45MPG.

if you physically cant afford to run a hothatch then go for the diesel. if you can and its more of a concencious decision then keep it because you only live once and then lenght of that life is undetermined.. hence why ive looking into getting a tvr cerbera for weekends muahaha !

VW Potato

Clioturs - the cost of running the Clio isnt an issue, as much as the principle of spending so much on running costs. Id love another weekend toy like my old GTV6, but I dont have the space for a second car. Maybe one day!

Mike - no offence matey, but I prefer the look of the Ibiza over the Fabia.

Hmmm.

g

VW Potato

is it cheaper? My dealer has a new 1.9TDi Sport (they have dropped the SE - drat) for £10k. The one I drove was built ok enough for me, and...I prefer the inside of the Seat, too. Sorry matey! ;-)

g

The Sport used to have 130bhp but SEAT now call the 130bhp model FR and I would assume the 100bhp model is now called Sport, would this be right?

VW Potato

correct Chris. Theyve rejigged the line up. The Sport is now a de-specced SE which is a pity as the SE was nicely specced for the money the Sport - comes with air rather than climate, etc. And yep Mike, its £10k for a new Sport. I may try and see one on Sunday so will update you next week.

g

Do a quick few calculation, most of the cost of running a car is depreciation (about 1/2 on my car) so changing to a new car will no save you money just change the way you pay as youll be paying monthy in loans rarther than in fuel and tyres.

A diesel wont work out a huge saving as you dont do many miles 12k/yr on a diesel or petrol works out to be about £350 a year difference.

Personally Id keep the car for a year more or so you wont loose in value what you would loose in a new car value.

BMW E46 330i Touring

depends entirely on your gut intstinct mate. if the clio is your fun car and you still love driving, then youd miss the clio once it went, wheras you probably wont miss the money you could have saved if youd kept with a hot hatch.

id say stick with clio, but then im still looking for fun from driving and dont really mind the cost...

well .. i would have to say buy the seat diesel.. the build quality is loads better, ok a bit boring . i would say buy the 130 sport , the engine is chippable to around the 170-180 bhp & 300 lb/ft + mark, trust me .. that is seriously quick for a diesel ..i.e will menace most high end sports cars!! ..i know i had one !

Elise/VX220/R26

I would keep the 172, I think its madness swapping a 172 for a 182 (unless you just want a newer car) youll never be as happy in the ibiza diesel as you are in the 172, anyway they arent that unecanomical 35mpg aint bad for a 140MPH car!

I was thinking of getting rid of the 172 (till a house move put it on the backburner) but when you look around whats out there the 172 IMO is still an outstanding car. Mines going nowhere until my VX220 arrives :)

VW Potato

thanks chaps, some good food for thought there. Im seeing the Seat this coming Saturday...and Ive booked a test drive in the new Golf GTi for the weekend after next (which is a bit of a surprise given everything else Ive said about being tired of hot hatches and wanting to spend less money on cars!). yep, life would be a lot easier if I wasnt a mentalist.

g