ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Cup’s got a Vtec lump in it!

Is it just me or is the mid range on the Cup/172 faily poor, as in youve got to get 5k dialed in before anything really happens?!

Im hoping its mainly because all the cars ive driven in anger and have got properly used to have had more torque than power or is it just because Ive got a friday afternoon car!!

0-60 times speak for themselves with these cars, i think theyve got plenty of pulling power when you get over 3000 rpm in 1-4 gear. Get to 95-100 mph in 5th and put your foot to the floor - 130 came up very quick and went on to an indicated 150 last weekend - that aint slow!

Elise/VX220/R26

4.5k is where the magic starts really. They are capable enough at lower revs but keep it above 4.5 k to ghet the best out of it

Simon - I think youre right, and thats why I got mine chipped; it now pulls much better from low down, eg from 3000-5000 it car pulls like my golf vr6 used to, but then when you hit 5000 it gets louder and faster.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

4.5K is where the Torque curve is at its strongest as the cams are designed to work at there best at this rpm. This is normal and even the valver is the same, poor bottom end but loadsa mid range punch.

Elise/VX220/R26

come to think of it most of my previous cars have had something similar where you can feel the power kick in at a certain rpm

hi,

"Simon - I think youre right, and thats why I got mine chipped;"

where you get it chipped and for that power your talking about? bhp wise

phill*

sorry thats slightly off topic

Quote: Originally posted by clio sport on 18 October 2003

0-60 times speak for themselves with these cars, i think theyve got plenty of pulling power when you get over 3000 rpm in 1-4 gear. Get to 95-100 mph in 5th and put your foot to the floor - 130 came up very quick and went on to an indicated 150 last weekend - that aint slow!
150mph, where were you , going of a cliff, your having a laugh.........

Agreed, 150 in a cup? errrrr NO! 140 indicated is more like it . The bad aerodynamics of the clio would shaft you im afraid and you would need well over 200 horses to do it, with TBs or even better.

Bye Bye

He could have got an INDICATED 150 because the speedos have a marginal error of 10%. This could mean he was only doing 135 and the book speed is 138, so it is possible!

Boyo

You do realise that they are 16Vs dont you guys!, therefore will pull much better at higher revs due to larger valve port areas which come in par with the larger valve area (the whole point of a 16v head).When at low revs the gas velocity is too low for the engine to be very efficient, when the revs and gas velocity is up the engine becomes much more efficient in intaking and exhausting the gasses, and therefore feels more powerful. (and i dont mean efficient as in good MPG etc).

Elise/VX220/R26

Someone posted a video a while back (0-60 I think or maybe 60 - 80 or something) had camera trained on the dash of a mk2 172 AND a GPS unit indicating the speed. The speed of the speedo on the 172 was absolutely bang on. Obviously the margin for error increases with higher speeds but not by as much as 10% no way.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 19 October 2003

Someone posted a video a while back (0-60 I think or maybe 60 - 80 or something) had camera trained on the dash of a mk2 172 AND a GPS unit indicating the speed. The speed of the speedo on the 172 was absolutely bang on. Obviously the margin for error increases with higher speeds but not by as much as 10% no way.

I wasnt saying it IS 10% error, i was just stating it Could be!!

Boyo

who of you on this site have maxed their cars out can i ask? 150 is what it said discussion over. The place i did it was on the M11 towards Stansted airport as you come off the M25 and reach the top of the hill and come down the other side

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Wasnt a video it was a still image, and it was me who took it at 60mph it was bang on. It stayed like this up to 90-100 whereby I gave up, and no I dont have any images of it at that speed, it was rather difficult to take the 1st one.

i have had mine flat out at 144 i have 17s on was in germany on the eurotrip speedo was only reading about 136 but the other cars were doing the same and one had gps

Cheers for all the feed back fellas.

Its made me feel a lot better, thought Id got me self a dog after reading some of the posts!!:(.Now Ive simply put it down to getting used to it after driving cars with torque @ much lower revs

mailto:vRS-173@1950rpm">vRS-173@1950rpm

mailto:Scooby-258@3500rpm">Scooby-258@3500rpm

And dare I say it Saxo Vtr-mailto:Vtr-100@3500rpm">100@3500rpm

I would chip it but cant be arse with the insurance it was bad enough finding it for under a grand as it was (Most companies said no one under 30!!) and as its a cheap french tart I feel keeping the warranty as long as possible is a must!

Ta again

Simon

Regarding top speed i had an indicated 145 in my wifes cup two up, i was chasing a cup in a 3.2 GSI vectra last week and from 90-130 i had to drop into 4th to stay with it. Before anyone says i know the vectra isnt the fastest but it aint no slouch and to be honest i was shocked that i had to drop a gear.

Quote: Originally posted by clio sport on 19 October 2003

who of you on this site have maxed their cars out can i ask? 150 is what it said discussion over. The place i did it was on the M11 towards Stansted airport as you come off the M25 and reach the top of the hill and come down the other side
Quite a few I reckon. The section of road youve described is very fast and on a down-hill section...are you sure it was 150 and not 147ish? Surely your gear change light was glowing and if you didnt notice.....I would reckon the the speedo is quite hard to read accurately, especially when your going absolutely flat out, mainly because youre trying to keep your eyes on the road..

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

FUK man...150 your nuts!
I dont wanna sound like a pu55y but thats mad .. dont you like your licence?
Ive had !30 out of mine and that was to prove a point...it looked like there was plenty left so i wouldnt think 150 was out of the question???

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 October 2003

Wasnt a video it was a still image, and it was me who took it at 60mph it was bang on. It stayed like this up to 90-100 whereby I gave up, and no I dont have any images of it at that speed, it was rather difficult to take the 1st one.
And Ive found the same thing with two different GPS units in 3 different 172s. I went to an indicated top speed of 145mph with 144.6mph recorded as the top speed reached on the GPS unit (and yes, of course this was on private land and yes, top speed was reached the the bottom of a big feck off hill...).

Alfa Mito 155TB

I have had 144mph out of a 172 on the flat (Private land) and that was the absolute maximum because it hit the rev limiter in 5th....Also done 147mph down hill...Dont think 150mph is possible....most likely wishful thinking

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

My car maxes out at 196.720km/h in 5th @ 5500rpm

This is a speedtrap clocked speed on a highspeed oval.

I also tried with a passanger to see if it would affect the speed. Didnt make a difference, in fact made 0.480km/h difference on the 3km oval

210 was clocked on the same oval with a standard 172 so Im assuming its my wheels which are slowing me down...maybe the car is really a slow one, which seems unlikely because my 1/4 mile time (first time ever) is quicker than the same magazines 1/4 mile time

Just to prove a point i was driving back from essex 1.30 am this morning, this time tried it on the downhill section of the M25 clockwise before you reach all the speed controlled part near the M4 junction. Knew what i was gonna do so got my phone ready to take a picture of the speedo, it definately hits 149-150 no lies, i was too scared to take my hand of the steering wheel as anybody driving down their last nite would know how windy it was. But im gonna get my friend with his video camera to come and make all you doubters eat ur words!