ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cup only revs to 7k

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
If you change gear at 6250rpm you will be behind me every time, peak power might be at 6k but you will loose revs every gear change putting you below the power band.

My ctr's peak power was at 7800, but changing gear there you would always drop out of v-tec it had to be rev'd to 8250rmp

Titanium 182
Agreed but it can affect the 0-60. Revving to hit 60mph will be quicker than changing up and hitting 60. This might be the concern.

Forgot people are obsessed with 0-60! You're very right though, stretching the gears out in this example will give you an edge, but in day to day driving there's little or no need to do it :)

Titanium 182
If you change gear at 6250rpm you will be behind me every time, peak power might be at 6k but you will loose revs every gear change putting you below the power band.

That wouldn't be the case! Like I said, as long as you change gear quick enough you will stay within the powerband.

This is the most I've posted in the two years I've been on here! Good banter :D

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
So 7k seems right then, i will do a short vid of my rev counter from 1st to 3rd in a few hours when the ice has gone.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
That wouldn't be the case! Like I said, as long as you change gear quick enough you will stay within the powerband.

This is the most I've posted in the two years I've been on here! Good banter :D

But reving higher and changing gear quicker would be the best of both worlds:S

Astra SRI/ Hornet
well in my experience going to the shift light makes ya go faster especially in 4th I find in my car. I think like some1 else said it's momentum, so it keeps higher in the power band when ya change up. And the reference to you buying a corsa was about the slowness of your driving cos if ya ain't seen ya shift light especially in second then your not driving fast.

Titanium 182
But reving higher and changing gear quicker would be the best of both worlds:S

I can see what you're saying, stretching out the gears would seem more logical but you must feel when you get passed say 6.5k that the car holds back? You want to be changing just before this point imo, that will pull the car the strongest!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I don't wanna sound funny but my car pulls hard all the way to 7 k but I know what ya mean in a 182 cos they do tale off at 6.5 k maybe a cup is different, weight difference maybe, or am I just opening up a whole new debate.

MCS R56
well in my experience going to the shift light makes ya go faster especially in 4th I find in my car. I think like some1 else said it's momentum, so it keeps higher in the power band when ya change up. And the reference to you buying a corsa was about the slowness of your driving cos if ya ain't seen ya shift light especially in second then your not driving fast.

Sorry, I was being a twit! I knew what you meant. I drive fast and never see the shift light. No need.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
I don't wanna sound funny but my car pulls hard all the way to 7 k but I know what ya mean in a 182 cos they do tale off at 6.5 k maybe a cup is different, weight difference maybe, or am I just opening up a whole new debate.

Yeah mine pulls hard up to 7k more pull after 6k tbh

But 172bens car seems to pull hard untill 7250!!

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
I can see what you're saying, stretching out the gears would seem more logical but you must feel when you get passed say 6.5k that the car holds back? You want to be changing just before this point imo, that will pull the car the strongest!

My cup pulls like a train up to 7k tbh mate?

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Haha so I think 172 cups are the exception to this don't go to the shift light rule. Can, worms, open springs to mind.

Titanium 182
My cup pulls like a train up to 7k tbh mate?

Fair play, I'm just going by what I've experienced at the end of the day. If you're happy revving to 7k then keep on doing it, it's not going to do any damage to the car at the end of the day! I just have my own personal preference to driving and wanted to share it! ;)

Titanium 182
Maybe he's talking about his zetec s cos it don't rev to 7 k. : p.

The car was a 1.6, if I wanted it to I could rev it to 7k but why would I ever want to? Plus it was my first car, what was yours Kev?

Oh and I'm not talking about my Fiesta (which I've already sold), I'm speaking from experience of the 1*2's I've driven, my Fiesta is another league so why would I be talking about that in a thread on 1*2's? Ironically I just did, but lets ignore that!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The car was a 1.6, if I wanted it to I could rev it to 7k but why would I ever want to? Plus it was my first car, what was yours Kev?

Oh and I'm not talking about my Fiesta (which I've already sold), I'm speaking from experience of the 1*2's I've driven, my Fiesta is another league so why would I be talking about that in a thread on 1*2's? Ironically I just did, but lets ignore that!

my first car was a 205 gti mate unlucky you picked the wrong guy to compare that 2. And I was only messing with ya I new ya had a clio or why be on here.

Peak power in mine is made at 6500 rpm. Kev is right with regards to vtec IMO, when my mate drove his hard, he would always change above 8 to stay in vtec, sometimes maybe flat shifting :S (Not double clutching like he should ;))

Astra SRI/ Hornet
well just done a video of mine and it seems I have made a error and my cup hits the limiter above 7. Will try get it uploaded.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Mine rev's just above 7rpm here's a quick vid in 1st to 3rd.

th_newcuppics556.jpg

My mate was holding the cam, so blame his lack of cam skill:rasp:

clio 172 cup
i dont see the problem y u want to go past 7k the peak power is about 6.5k anyway 0.25 revs is nothing

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm with markhinton on this - it is pointless in higher gears hanging on past 6,500 rpm.

It's all about the torque - that's what accelerates the car, and you have none above 6,500 rpm...and masses from 5,000 up to 6,500...

100_4400.jpg

^^^ from 6,500 EVERYTHING is going downhill.

In the lower gears (1st/2nd) when wind resistance isn't such a factor then it can be worth holding it until say 7,000, but from 3rd onwards I've found my car hits a brick wall at 6,500 rpm as soon as the torque drops off. At those speeds in those gears changing at 6.5 drops you right back into the meat of the torque at 5k and you keep on going.

Watch this video of my rev counter and speedo during some acceleration runs, 3rd gear is at 0:44 and 4th is at 1:04 - watch how the speedo needle slows as soon as it gets to 6.5k...it's painful watching me chase the limiter in 4th, takes forever to get there...

[youtube]odTwrUXNlsM[/youtube]

On track the only reason I'll go higher is if a corner's coming up and I need to save a pointless shift - aside from that I stay between 4.5 and 6.5..

^ agreed, so many on here think that in normal driving, hitting the limiter all the time is the way to go, it isn't.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Look at my speedo tho it revs the same throughout the rev range. If i change lower than 7k it makes a noticable diffrence on speed and does feels slower.

EP3 Civic Type R
The car pulls better if taken to the limit tho, if i change under it feels like its holding back

That's something mine never does.

Peak power for mine is up to around 6.5k... I don't take it higher on the roads, there is no point.

Why hit the limiter all the time? That to me just shouts out 'I can't drive properly'

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Looks pretty quick to me 2 up and half a tank of petrol.

Also in 3rd it appears to go past 7k - really hard to tell though (rewatched it, in 3rd deff more than 7k).

Do you think your rev counter is out? As mine only goes to just above 60 in 2nd which yours appears to do so also but I have never taken notice of what the actual in gear speeds are.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
That's something mine never does.

Peak power for mine is up to around 6.5k... I don't take it higher on the roads, there is no point.

Why hit the limiter all the time? That to me just shouts out 'I can't drive properly'

I don't take it to the limiter all the time? The point of the vid was to show where the limiter kicks in.

I can drive too;)

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Looks pretty quick to me 2 up and half a tank of petrol.

Also in 3rd it appears to go past 7k - really hard to tell though (rewatched it, in 3rd deff more than 7k).

Do you think your rev counter is out? As mine only goes to just above 60 in 2nd which yours appears to do so also but I have never taken notice of what the actual in gear speeds are.

It does go well, my mate is a big'ish guy im 11st too btw.

The camera is slightly to the left so the speedo will be a little out to the camera, it goes over 60 in second with ease.

Not sure about the rev counter, it ticks over solid on line below the 1k rpm, it hit about 7100ish rpm does that sound about right?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I am not sure tbh mate, could be. Take a look on youtube at similar vids or else I will take a look at mine for you tomorrow.