ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cup only revs to 7k

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
After being in 172ben's car today i noticed that my 172 cup only revs to 7k whyle his revs to over 7200? Bens is a 172 btw.

Any ideas???

ST
Booting it before the oil is up to temp as in 5 mins or so into a journey from cold start by any chance??

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
It was warm, exactly half way on temp guage. But green change gear light came on about 6800, and rev limiter kicked in pretty much bang on 7k

Would say about 6900 for the light, only 100 revs out to you but it's closer to that. Its really bugging me about the rev limit, yours seems to rev so much harder than mine, so much it has removed the paint on my front bumper:dapprove:

:rasp:

BMW F21 125d
My 182 (and my previous 172) limits at 7250rpm, but in 4th i think its slightly earlier, maybe 7k. To the OP, was it limiting at 7k in every gear ?

Racing blue 182
i dont know what my clio revs out at as ive never took it to that many revs!
and whats the green light you mention?

RB clio 182
i took my car on a rolling road last year and they commented on the fact that my 182 only revved to 7k. i didnt think much of it but then later in the year i had emissions light come on. renault fixed it under warranty with a new ecu and rebooted the cars computer. didnt really understand it all cos im no mechanic but now it revs to 7250ish. maybe something there?

MCS R56
No need to rev up there, power is gone by then. Mine revs to about the same I think (7000). I will check it today.

Titanium 182
Why are you wanting to rev right to the limiter? Do you know where the power trails off in the 172?

edit: Gaz beat me to it, I'm guessing it's probably mid to late 6k? Why go over? You're not getting anymore out of it!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Well for starters girls ya car won't break even though they are renaults cos that's what a rev limits for, and if ya have never even seen your shift light before then you should buy a 1.2 corsa or summit. I would say your cars perfectly fine, had mine nearly 2 years and has always revved to 7 k and is sweet as a nut, only 42 k on clock. Rant over.

Titanium 182
6250 I think

Lol, point proven there.

The only thing you're getting out of going that extra 1k is keeping the engine revving high for when you get in the next gear, and that's about it! Some may argue stretching the revs out keeps the momentum of the car going saving it from doing all the work to get it going again, but surely changing up a gear to keep it at it's optimum power will pull the car faster and stronger?

MCS R56
Well for starters girls ya car won't break even though they are renaults cos that's what a rev limits for, and if ya have never even seen your shift light before then you should buy a 1.2 corsa or summit. I would say your cars perfectly fine, had mine nearly 2 years and has always revved to 7 k and is sweet as a nut, only 42 k on clock. Rant over.

Have Corsas got really good shift lights or something? I will keep my eye out for one. I love a good shift light!

Titanium 182

I'm aware the rev limits there to protect the engine, my argument is what's the point in exceeding it's powerband? :S

RB clio 182
I'm aware the rev limits there to protect the engine, my argument is what's the point in exceeding it's powerband? :S

did you not just say why? - so that when you next change gear you are closer to the powerband again? im not trying to cause an argument - just want to learn!!!

MCS R56
Lol, point proven there.

The only thing you're getting out of going that extra 1k is keeping the engine revving high for when you get in the next gear, and that's about it! Some may argue stretching the revs out keeps the momentum of the car going saving it from doing all the work to get it going again, but surely changing up a gear to keep it at it's optimum power will pull the car faster and stronger?

Agreed but it can affect the 0-60. Revving to hit 60mph will be quicker than changing up and hitting 60. This might be the concern.

Titanium 182
did you not just say why? - so that when you next change gear you are closer to the powerband again? im not trying to cause an argument - just want to learn!!!

But if you're quick with changing gears you won't dip below the powerband, if you do that's poor effort! I'm not sure what it's like on the Clio's but in my old Fiesta changing gear would usually drop me down around 500rpm, so about 7/8% which would keep me in the powerband!