ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My DCi 100

DCi 100
Having decided on the 9th June, the night before Le Mans that the Clio 1.2 had to go. I eventually picked up this 100 on the 20th last Month. I was after a Dynamique with climate, but finding one proved a real pain! I waited 3 weeks and eventually jumped in with this one. Averaged 58mpg on the way home!

Car all round was in good nick, no record of the cambelt being done though. Only body imperfections are some small dints on the front of the bonnet. Also a car park dint on the passenger (iirc) door. Hopefully get them removed down the line. Sat just afew miles over 50k. All clean etc. No sun roof! :D But also no electric mirrors unfortunately.

Seeing as I was lucky enought to develop a brain during my life time. First thing on monday I was on the phone to Fred/Birchdown asking for prices. I know the car hadn't had a service in acouple of years. It's on the shedule as that, but I'll keep it down to once a year or every 10k I guess?

Anyways, the night before Birchdown I was hoping to get the tracking sorted there. So mega rush to get my FK Konig(rears)/High(fronts) sports on. Went round to Seb's on monday evening in the artic weather and did them in the dark.

DSC_0160.jpg

Those are Seb's wheels, not mine! Unfortunately they went with the sale of his MK3. Had some fun(troubles) getting them sorted. Ended up driving home/to birchdown with the front coilovers on wound all the way up. Backs on standard suspension due to those cheesey horizontal bolts. Blow torch the lot wouldn't budge it so called it day. Luckily Birchdown lads (thanks again!) popped them on for me without any notice.

Also got possibly me favourite thing ever through the same day. Can't beat a set of wiper blades so you can actually see where your going!

DSC_0168.jpg

So with cambelt changed, full service, and coilovers on all round and afew bits like a new track rod end etc. Unfortunately the Kev's couldn't get the tracking done due to their prehistoric gauges. But that was the worry off my head with it gone.

Started with afew other bits and bobs;

DSC_0150.jpg

Headunit I picked up off a CS member back in June/July.

DSC_0146.jpg

Old speakers out of the 1.2! Only the fronts in atm. Many Thanks to Seb ('Sofaboy' iirc on here?) for wiring them in. Easily wack my iPod on on the motorway and turn it up, great sound quality! They weigh a fair bit more than standards obviously but, I'll talk about that later.

I originally picked up some OZ F1's from Adam Anderton back in early summer time. They ended up getting lent out for ages due to various reasons. They were always rig up sprayed when I eventually had them on the 1.2.

VdZya.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

The plan was never to keep them. But as a cheap set of wheels they're alright. I was going to get them sorted properly powercoated.

Wacked some nitromors on them one day. My god that stuff burns! Got it everywhere aswell lol.

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Acouple of the tires on the dynamique wheels the car came with were nackered. Two were also P6000's!! To say I was scared of them along with the mega camber/tracking failure was an understatement.

Gave Fred a buzz, got booked in way way earlier than I expected so the rush was on to get the wheels sorted. I had a can of purple paint, and a can of blue. They both look blue to me so I'm unsure whats what. But I gave the wheels a once over. Not even bothering to clean them after the nitromors treatment. They're only going to get covered in garbage over winter.

DSC_0173.jpg

I missed loads of bits, but the important thing was I had T1R's (£29.10 from Camskill real bargain!) on, so was alittle less likely to slide into a ditch.

So I get down to Fred's on Tuesday. I was doing some running around so was unsure on what time I'd be there, wheels got chucked in the boot and I got there at a slightly late (I was booked in 3pm onwards) 4:30pm!

After watching Fred change some guys brakes. Perving at the winter tires and freezing my balls off as Lynden had robbed my coat. I got a very complimentary 'You're dieing you!" from Fred. Cheers dude :eek:

DSC_0176.jpg

Car ticked over 53k when I got there, first mile stone down!

fnqcz.jpg

Iirc, that WAS with the steering wheel straight. :dead:

Fred got to work anyways, I had no idea the car was actually so fubar'd. But after a session on his scales, Lots of sitting in the car holding the steering wheel straight and up down up down up downs. Finally got wrapped up around 9:10pm and got on my way home.

Would like to say Thank you to Fred for the patience and effort put in. I pitty any fool that hasn't been to him to get there car sorted. Honestly the guy is 110% money can not buy experience. The best part; is that he works for YOUR benefit. Not his own. Yes he's there to make money and live from it. But the guy isn't about numbers and profit. It's get the job done properly which is definately how I'd want it to be with someone touching my car.

DSC_0180.jpg

How the car sat after getting corner weighed and set up perfectly to within 1% balanced. It had 380kg on the front right wheel alone when it went in!

Bit of an ugly duckling ATM but the cosmetic stuff will follow.

Drove afew 100 miles since having it weighed up etc. The old 1.2 handled pretty well. But this is simpley in a different league. Corners are just nothing to it. The car feels light as a feather, no uncertain feelings of over steer etc. I'd reccommend ANYONE to go get it done if you haven't.

The next day I get word that Fred's put his mechanic's (Sam /Spankit iirc) Trophy on the scales. It weighed in pretty much spot on the same as the DCi. Pretty funny to think a bored Brummey in a freezing cold unit at 7/8pm at night could match what Renault concider as a special laddey dah handler by pure chance. Impressive!

While the work was going on, swapping wheels etc. Fred commented on my extended bolts. Gave me some advice about studs/nuts and off I went.

Ended up going over to Demon Tweeks last Thursday for these; £15.04 for the lot.

DSC_0183.jpg

Will get them stuck in when I pick my jack back up from a friends.

Basically not going for the fastest car. Not going to be the lowest, cleanest, stealthest, sheddishist, or most amazing. Just out to make something my own, something with personality. Going for a usable toy that does 75mpg taking it easy. 56mpg booting it. 30 quid a year to tax. Only afew quid more a month to insure than my old 1.2. Now handles amazingly, all I need to do now really is tart it up and add some 'small' performance upgrades. ;)

More to come :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Petrol Blue 182
good write up mate and i like the fact ur just doing it for yourself!

any more pics of old 1.2? looked nice!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks tidy :)

But like i said before, a 19 year old lad should not be buying a car because it does a gazillon mpg ;)

Also, jealous of the studs :eek:

DCi 100
Search my username or JD, was his old car. Although he only ever had it on 172 alloys, I had turini's and those F1s on it during my time. Cheers.

Just go buy some nuts Mike. I'll be going back eventually for some more for the back I'll give you a shout if you want me to get you some. I have part numbers etc aswell.

MPG wasn't the main reason to buy the car, but you can't deny it isn't a good thing! Boost is amazing and the car is definately faster and more usable practically than the 1.2 by far.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Buying them isn't the problem, it being arsed to fit them and then leaving them to cure when all I have is 1 axle stand lol

alot of respect for what your doing with this, shocking as its not that slow either... by no means quick but it shocked me and i roll RS.

great stance, great attitude, your what its all about alexando.

'lafonda' will be an oilburning monster!

DCi 100
alot of respect for what your doing with this, shocking as its not that slow either... by no means quick but it shocked me and i roll RS.

great stance, great attitude, your what its all about alexando.

'lafonda' will be an oilburning monster!

It's only a matter of feet slower than 1.4 bar in 4th gear...

Cheers.

DCi 100
58mpg around town, 62 hammering it on the motorway, 75 on the trip computer being a girl and feathering the throttle at a constant 60mph. :)

120d M Sport
Do agree about Fred's work, my Fiesta was tight as after a few visits to him!

Hope you're gonna get those wheels looking tidy

DCi 100
Do agree about Fred's work, my Fiesta was tight as after a few visits to him!

Hope you're gonna get those wheels looking tidy

Ofcourse! I have plans for something different. They're simply a matter of getting some decent tires on the car until the end of Febuary or so. The wheels I want are £600 though! All in due time.

How you getting down Christoph? Prob speak to you about it tomorrow.

DCi 100
DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

sDmDV.jpg

Gave it as wash and missed loads of bits today lol! They joys of a black car and being in a rush. Started on the cup spoiler aswell. Idea is to just spray it bogo gloss black for winter and get it done properly with aload of other stuff come spring time. Unsure yet!

Have to wait and see about a remap Martin! Speak to you on messenger soon. :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ent seen a project thread from you for a while mate. Hows things?

The car's looking tidy :) Love the little bits you've done.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
nice mate...thanks for the coat lol

cant believe we got 75mpg on the way back from demon tweeks

DCi 100
Tidied the front end up abit last week. Still afew other bits to sort mind, but if anyone has a ph3 black front bumper going spare I can buy let me know ;)

DSC_0325edited.jpg

Really looking forward to having a crack at correcting the paint and getting it waxed up. Atm I wash it and it has water marks all over it before I've even finished!

200 FF Storm Grey
Nice write up mate, looking forward to seeing you work your magic on something from scratch

DCi 100
Got my dash back today flocked from AutoFlock, down in Wrexham. Not too far away and definately worth it considering how spot on the quality is!

rxJLq.jpg

JErBf.jpg

l78y2.jpg

gsfsX.jpg

Also a complete bargain compared to a different companies prices who are also located in the North West. Just need to take my other bits and bobs back to get them sorted now :D

DCi 100
It's fitted Jon, did it outside straight away so it didn't get marked by being chucked about in the back on the way home. Didn't get a decent enought picture too justify it tbh. Along with needing to hoover the interior out even having just done it last week! :eek:

Will get some pictures in the car tomorrow. Plus ofcourse have a gander at the next NW meet!

The main difference I've noticed atm is the dials seem to stand alone in the darkness even when it's not completely dark. There's no glare etc put onto the tunnel going towards them if you get me. Looks great!

this looks so amazing, like seriously good. Raj is something else, quality, effort, price and attitude make some companies look pathetic.

get some snaps tomorrow and place your 'thing' your having fitted in shot... not that thing... ;)

DCi 100
Acouple more pics to add to my dash;

sWjwP.jpg

jTPNC.jpg

Anyways, decided to start get going with stuff. Wanted to get my EGR Valve out today but kinda stumbled before I got there;

How the diesel engine sits;
DSC_0843.jpg

Started taking all the airbox off etc to get to the EGR but pulled the side pipe off before hand just out of pure curiosity that sits here;

DSC_0847.jpg

I'm not 100% on if it's before or after the turbo? Something to have a proper look at tomorrow when I get time to take the EGR out.

Anyways, was full of s**t! :dapprove:

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

3/4mm all around and a fair chunk inside the housing of the EGR just poking my finger in. Something to sort!

DCi 100
Took the EGR out today then, dirtiest job ever!

Sits in the 2nd hole on the left.
DSC_0885.jpg

One side;
DSC_0847.jpg

And the other :/
DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

Nice and clean after a good wipe and some WD40 later :)
DSC_0868.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

Not perfect but as good as it'll get without taking a cotton bud out.

Mid way through cleaning.. lots of chunks!

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

Little confused as to why it gets so clogged up really. I think I might have got the piping wrong. But red is the offside IC pipe, Yellow is the near side. Yellow feeds into the turbo where as the red goes through the EGR compartment across the back of the engine round to what looks like an inlet manifold type of thing. But where does the whole 'Exhaust Gas' come into it? Unless I've missed a pipe going into the bottom of the EGR section or something. Going to get under it to see how the cat is set upon the manifold and how it branches off the turbo on sunday etc. Surely to get so much carbon/oil in there it would 100% have to be exhaust gases?

Mind you it probably hasn't been cleaned out since new!

DSC_0886.jpg