ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My DCI - A non-starter all of a sudden :(

Clio 1.5 DCI
I've had random starting problems for a while but recently not a problem. Go to turn the key and nothing, all the correct lights show up they dissapear... imob, serv, stop lights etc etc all fine.... go to start and nothing.

This problem seemed to have gone until yesturday evening, was round my parents working on the car doing minor things (change bulbs, swapped glow plugs for new ones, and moved the UCH unit to look at lighting relays(did not unplug btw just lowered it down)). Now it wont start!! usally after two or three goes it will suddenly spring into life..... now nothing :(

Going to tow it to a garage later, but anyone have any idea what could suddenly cause this??

Dan

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Does it attempt to turn over or is it just dead ?

Check Battery
Connections to UCH
Starter motor connections

If you've messed with the UCH your in trouble

Clio 1.5 DCI
Matt - It doesn't even attempt to turn over. Just get a click from a relay and thats it.

I was very careful with the UCH, the connections are very well fixed (require two hands to remove even if you wanted to) so there is no way this is causing the problem.

I'm hoping its the starter thats packed up. I know i was working on the car prior to it failing but I have touched nothing to cause the problem. As I say i removed the UCH very carefully so as to not disturb the connections.

If the UCH was causing the problem, this would effect the imobiliser would it not?

Dan

Clio 1.5 DCI
Also...

Just tested all other electronics on the car (lights, wipers, intermitent wipes, washer jets, central locking, imoboliser etc etc) all work fine. If I had disturbed the UCH would this not effect other functions as well?

Skoda Fabia vRS
the bank of 3 relays in the engine bay fuse box, clean any green corrosion off them

does your battery have good charge ?.........clamps on tight ?

Megane dci 130
Right, does the UCH go click when you go to start the engine?
I take it the imobiliser light goes out?
Have you checked for power on both conections on the starter?

Check starter relay, sometimes they corrode on the terminals, all light work etc just no starter action.

Megane dci 130
The starter relay is incorperated into the uch.

You need to find where the problem is at before you go checking random things.

If you have power to the starter, you know that the starter circuit is good ect.

Clio 1.5 DCI
Right, does the UCH go click when you go to start the engine?
I take it the imobiliser light goes out?
Have you checked for power on both conections on the starter?

Thanks for the advice. Yes I get a click from the UCH when I try to start the car.

And the imobiliser light goes out as it should do.

I have checked the battery, connections where a bit loose so cleaned and tightened them up but no joy. I cant even see the terminals to the starter let alone check them so its going to a local garage this morning to be checked out!

the bank of 3 relays in the engine bay fuse box, clean any green corrosion off them

What are those relays for?

RB 182 Cup
Sounds like a dead battery mate! put a jump pack on it, twist the key to 2nd click and wait for the imobilizer light to turn off then it should start

Clio 1.5 DCI
Update - Just managed to bump start it (so cant be too much wrong). Its now at a local garage being checked out. Thik the stater/connections are at fualt?!

A18XHO - It was tested two weeks ago by a garage and was fine, plus everything else works fine? anyone..... should find out later.

Thanks for all the advice guys

Clio 1.5 DCI

Well done that man! just got it back from the garage... starter was fine, they cleaned the above relays and sorted! Going to invest in some new items I think!