ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY EP3

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Not to everyones taste but hey.

I decided it was time to buy a new car. I paid off all my loans, and was looking at getting a brand spanking BMW 320 M Sport Coupe, but that would have taken up all my avaliable income (ID guess around £500 a month to own, and lets be honest, a 2.0 BMW isnt worth that, however nice it is)

I decided I wanted something a little bit more fun, but wouldnt cost me the earth to run and maintain. Having owned 3 Clios, the obvious choice was a 182, but I wanted something different, So I decided to look at Civic Type R's.

My mate had one, So i went out in his, and loved it. I appreciate people love or hate V-Tec, and the lack of torque, but coming from a 1.2, it felt fast enough.

I did some research and set some "simple" requirements:

Cosmic Grey.

2005 Facelift onwards.

Around 50k miles.

Premier Edition.

Simple eh? Well I found 4 cars that fitted into this criteria, and a 5th "wildcard".

I set a short list, got insurance quotes etc and away I went.

Long story short, after HPI'ing them all, 3 of the 5 turned out to be Category Write offs! Not a great start! The Fourth one was fine, but It didnt have the Air Con option... So I went with the wildcard!

Now Im a bit of perfectionist (when TBH, I shouldnt be, I should realise a 6 year old hot hatch is going to have stone chips and parking dings...) This wildcard turned out to be the one I bought.

I present to you "scratch".

I call it Scratch because it has a horrble scratched bonnet which had rusted, and a cracked Red H front badge... Now this was the pic I was sent from the advert, and it looks horrible...

IMG_0106-1.png

However, after a 100 mile drive, when I got there It didnt seem to bad. In fact, the whole thing seemed genuine. Not Perfect, but genuine!The HPI was perfect so After a while, some bartering, me walking off, then walking back in, a deal was struck and I now owned a Type R. I had the insurance set up ready so I drove home:

406707_10150495908267558_513747557_8698387_990126490_n.jpg

Its a 55 Plate Facelift Premier, so it has the tints, the Type R Embossed Calipers, the plaque on the centre console, and most importantly Recaro Trendline Seats which are lovely :)

396368_10150496326407558_513747557_8699947_870859251_n.jpg

388700_10150496210977558_513747557_8699537_528229586_n.jpg

IMG_0146-1.jpg

So I owned it, I was legal in it, and I had some cash in my pocket for mods.......

However, 300 miles later, the Clutch started slipping in 6th gear....I took it to get looked at, and it was confirmed it was the clutch, I would have probably got longer out of it, But I decided to get it done whilst I had the cash. Was it going when the lad I bought it from had it? Is it something I've done? TBH I dont know, all that matters is its done now. Whilst it was in I had the Oil and gearbox oil done.

I got it back yesterday, £500 lighter, but It does feel 10x the car. Im not happy about it, but its one of those things and its done....

I decided to sort the Badge out today, I ordered it from Honda with a Touch Up Stick...

IMG_0145-1.jpg

Heres the badge and scratch, not too bad really...

IMG_0143-1.jpg

IMG_0144-1.jpg

Grill popped out with 12 pop screws,

IMG_0147-1.jpg

All done

IMG_0148-1.jpg

Fitted the Obligatory Owners Club Stickers

IMG_0149-1.jpg

So whats next....

I've ordered the iPod thing for the stock HU, save faffing about with changing the woeful looking stock one, and I still need to touch the scratch up, if I'm not happy with the touch up, Ill get it painted properly...

Next on this list is some sort of Induction Kit, Ideally the Tegiwa/Gruppe M, but not too happy bout modifying the scuttle :(

Then Im thinking of lowering it, on either some new 18" Jap Style Rims, or getting the stockers re done in Anthracite with Red Lip?

Then a few dress up items for the engine bay (Strut Brace, Oil Cap, Rad Cap, Battery Bar, and then perhaps some performance enhancing stuff from the big boy tuners ;)

Comments?

182 with cup packs
I like these civics hate the new shape. I looked at getting one but at the time just too pricey looks nice tho a friend had the jap imported one faster and lower with a different bodykit makes me want one now lol enjoy !

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I like these civics hate the new shape. I looked at getting one but at the time just too pricey looks nice tho a friend had the jap imported one faster and lower with a different bodykit makes me want one now lol enjoy !

The insurance is weird. I didnt think what I pay is too bad until I got a quote on a 2010 Focus RS and it was £40 cheaper than this Civic?

182 with cup packs
Well when I went for quotes on a Mazda rx8 it was crazy and the reason they said was due to it not being safety tested to European standard i believe perhaps it's the same with some of the jap fleet ? Also they are allowed higher emissions if that alters premiums.

TTRS & V50
Already said in another thread, nice one. Shame about the clutch.

Not a fan of the plans. Personally some sort of induction and FRSU and leave it.

Cracking standard cars.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Would leave alloys as they are personally, unless need refurb...
Wouldn't spend £500 on an induction kit in a million years! AEM V2 and Buddyclub Spec 4 exhaust for me with kpro to lower vtec.

As already said I think this is an awesome standard combination. Please don't buy reservoir socks for engine dressup, WTF are they about!

Lovely motor pal...enjoy

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Thanks.

My stock wheels arent too bad, but importantly, they have 4 very new Pirelli P Zeros on. One is curbed, one has laquer peel and they dont seem that "clean" even when scrubbed.

I may get them done in Anthracite?

LOL Leave the Socks alone :p

How much is K Pro? Theres so many lol

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Not sure mate if all changed now but think there used to be 2 different versions. K100 and a more expensive one. Think one was 300 and one 500. While since I was looking though tbh pal. Sure some of the other current EP3 owners will be along to offer more up to date info...

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hondata/CPL Reflash

The Hondata/CPL reflash is exclusive to CPL Racing and is suitable for either a standard car or one which has been modified with only an air induction kit and/or a catback exhaust system. It is not suitable for use if the car has been fitted with a manifold, supercharger, turbo, cams, ITBs or other more advanced modifications. The Reflash is available mail order or you can visit the CPL Racing workshop and leave the car with us for a couple of hours and we can convert your ECU for you in just under half a day. This can usually be done at short notice but please always ring for an an appointment. With a reflash your car will not spend time on the dyno.

The Reflash will increase the rev limit to 8600 rpm and decrease the Vtec point to 5200 rpm.

Price £424.68 excluding VAT

Is that all in?

Z4
Nice car :)

My mate has one almost identical I fount for him a couple of years ago, although it's not a premier it's got the nice seats.

Good cars, never let him down. Interior is a pretty nice place to be, feels solid and looks fairly decent for a jap car! I've not driven it, but I'd imagine the lack of low end torque would annoy me as it does it the 182 lol, vtec is massively overrated but credit where it's due they are impressive when on cam.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Unsure mate, just didn't think it was as expensive as that.
Similar to generic or custom maps on other cars I guess. Some very good tuners be able to advise through owners sites. Long time since I was enquiring chief..

Clio 197
Very nice car. As already said I wouldn't change the wheels - I would leave it alone and enjoy it :)

Megane 225 F1
Nice car buddy. Great choice.

Is the scratch deep and rusty? You going to respray or find another bonnet to replace?

How much did the badge set you back? I'm wondering how the cost compares to my two faded mofo's I replaced on the 9 last year.

Swift Sport
Nice move mate, mine's almost identical. I'm running the AEM v2 and I'm really pleased with it, I'll have to get a video done for you to convince you!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
£500 for a clutch!!!

Should have gone eightspeed, £375 fitted all in!

K100 is around £850 is mapped, KPRO is about £1100/£1200

Wasnt just the Clutch, I had a few other things done, I think the Clutch + Release thing + LAbour was similar to Eightspeeds price.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
How much did the badge set you back? I'm wondering how the cost compares to my two faded mofo's I replaced on the 9 last year.

Well...

I knew It needed one, so priced it all up before I went to view it, and the differences were crazy!!

I heard RRP was £82, I then found one on eBay for £48. When Viewing the car, I asked the lad why he didnt change it, and he said it was around £50.

I asked on a forum and got various answers, I went into my local dealership and enquired, it was a special order item, but was £26 inclusive of VAT.

Regarding the scratch, I had every single intention of a bonnet respray, but its so minor in the flesh. My mate put some stuff on it (rust remover if that makes sense?) and the rust came off almost like it was a polish?? The area isnt dented at all (the picture looks like it is), Im going to touch it up, get my detailer friend to see what he can do for now, see how that is, and then in the Summer perhaps get it painted? TBH It was bugging me before I bought it, but its so minor, especially with the surface rust gone.

The Touch up stick mentiones something about Rust Remover in it too ?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Thats ok then :):)

Just checked, It was more than Eight Speed, but the garage was 1.3 miles from my house, So I could walk back, and they even delivered the car back to me, so any saving goinf to Eightspeed would have been eradicated by getting there/having day off work.

Either way, Its one of those things, I was gutted, as £500 could have done alot for me, But its done now, and its sorted and feels like a new car :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Super cheap then. Mine were around £50 a piece from the main dealer and that was with discount! JDM tax lol

Crazy! Its all in the details though I suppose.

My none car friends are going mad at me getting the bonnet and badge done, but honestly, if the Badge was £100, I'd buy it, it bugs me lol.

It's all about the details and they all make a big difference, I've a list of non essential stuff that I intend to freshen up on mine due to OCD, biggest expense being a new pair of headlights.

My badges did need to be replaced, here's a before, after and comparison to show you what I mean.

5897081054_8b35a37607_z.png

5897082244_14848d4044_z.png

5897083594_11b9b38e11_z.png

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I did my 2 front grilles with a new badge snd back badge in the summer!

Fresh grilles. New badges. Little touches definitely matter!

Lovely car mate. Best colour and easily the best model. Cosmic is immense and a superb colour for detailing.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Thats much better, The £50 there is totally Justified IMO. Sure others will see that differently, but £50 aint even a decent night out these days!

I love the EK9. The Proper Type R :D

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I did my 2 front grilles with a new badge snd back badge in the summer!

Fresh grilles. New badges. Little touches definitely matter!

Lovely car mate. Best colour and easily the best model. Cosmic is immense and a superb colour for detailing.

So my mate keeps saying :) Which I interpretted as "I've just volenteered to use all my expensive cleaning products on your car, just pop round when I've got the jet wash out"

I think thats what he means right?

End of the day it's your car mate, they don't need to know the cost nor is it any of their business. If you're happy to spend it and appreciate the improvement it's all good. Once I've got the paint sorted on the front splitter (scuff thanks to ride height) I'll be getting it detailed at no small cost which most people think is pointless but it's a low mile very clean example I found and I intend keeping it that way.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I work in retail, so its parked in a public car park 10 hours a day, its going to get the odd knock and scuff but hey thats life.

I still have my Clio, I would love to use that for work, but I cannot afford to run 2 cars :(

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Another one joins the club ;)
Nice car mate!

Induction wise, I had the hondata modded airbox on for a while with a K&N filter, was alright tbh. People rate that more highly that everything but GM/Tegiwas.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Another one joins the club ;)
Nice car mate!

Induction wise, I had the hondata modded airbox on for a while with a K&N filter, was alright tbh. People rate that more highly that everything but GM/Tegiwas.

I may leave it for a few months and buy Option 3A From CPL Stage 1

DC Sports Cat Back Exhaust System
AEM Cold Air Intake
Hondata Reflashed ECU

Package prices: Civic Type R £: 1119 Incl Vat

+ £95 To Fit

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/index.php?id=21

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Personally, I would get the bits second hand when they pop up on the forums.
You would probably get those bits a bit cheaper meaning you could get an inlet mani as well ;)