ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Fiesta ST

BMW 1 Series
I have only just realised that even though I sold my clio over a year ago I never got around to putting up pictures of its replacement!

Having recently gotten my hands on a DSLR I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the good weather and give my ST a clean and take some snaps.

My old clio authentique, which was a partial 172 rep:
DSCN1039-1.jpg

My ST:
5858401530_e05ce61b52_b.jpg

5858400790_edfe81ea26_b.jpg

5853007110_5c4cc5d390_b.jpg

5853009312_5722d5e27c_b.jpg

5852438219_b396f47671_b.jpg

It is completely standard and shall be staying that way as the plan is to replace it next year once I have decided on what I want next. Whilst the ST has a lot more poke and the gearbox is amazing <3, for some reason I still miss the character of the clio!

Nimbus Megane R26
orange peal paint on the last pic of the ST or what? lol. Nice upgrade though, like them..if not abit underpowered. Any plans for it? Mountune package?

How do you find your ST? My friend recently bought one but I've only been in it a handful of times and he drives it no faster than his old 1.2 so I have no idea how it feels when pushed to it's limits!

Fiesta ST3
my mate has a carbon copy of your car, ive always liked them. i also love winding him up about who has the quicker car, although it is increadibly imature. ;-P

BMW 1 Series
orange peal paint on the last pic of the ST or what? lol. Nice upgrade though, like them..if not abit underpowered. Any plans for it? Mountune package?

Haha im not sure what has made the paint look like that, its probably my lack of photography skills as the paint work is normal in the flesh? No plans for it as am thinking of replacing it next year with something which is a bit faster as standard.

How do you find your ST? My friend recently bought one but I've only been in it a handful of times and he drives it no faster than his old 1.2 so I have no idea how it feels when pushed to it's limits!

I love it in a straight line compared to my clio, the gearbox is awesome. As for corners its a bit heavy, so i've had to adapt to taking it a bit easier than I would have done in my clio, although I did put that down slightly to the fact that the clio was lowered on apex springs

BMW 1 Series
Whats the fuel like on one of these?
Looks mint tbf!

Thanks, I do try and keep it looking nice :), the wheels are being refurbished next monday!

the pre-facelift ones like mine dont have a mpg reading on the dash so I can't tell you what mine is exactly, i can get around about 300miles to a tank and thats with a mix of motorways and town driving.

If i'm town driving only it does go down. I think the least i've had is about 240 from a tank if I remember rightly.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
The finish on fiesta st's are one of the worst factory finishes I have ever seen. Leannes old one was shocking. Looked like the car had been taken to a shot bodyshop (gally)
Nice cars tho.
She she didn't agree..

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
The finish on fiesta st's are one of the worst factory finishes I have ever seen. Leannes old one was shocking. Looked like the car had been taken to a shot bodyshop (gally)
Nice cars tho.
She she didn't agree..

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
The finish on fiesta st's are one of the worst factory finishes I have ever seen. Leannes old one was shocking. Looked like the car had been taken to a s**t bodyshop (gally)
Nice cars tho.
She she didn't agree..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
3 times?

I'm lucky I don't have to convince people to let me work on their car.

You guys have provided circa 2k worth of work for me in the last 2 months though. Thank you. :)

BMW 1 Series
triple post combo winner! lol.

I haven't noticed the paint work finish yet, I'm gonna be paranoid now, thanks! :( haha. As much as I would love gally to sort out any bodywork issues with my fiesta (or give it some of his expensive wax..), I think the trip all the way to scotland and back would be a bit excessive! lol

Nimbus Megane R26
iirc the ST is shocking on fuel for what it is, my 2 mates had one and my 182 was ALOT faster and ALOT better on fuel.

Still think the ST good though, very clean :)

BG 182
Looks pretty decent, my mate has one and its worse on fuel than my 182. Hes running around 25.9 mpg where is mines running around 30mpg.

Also have to say that his ST feels pretty nippy to 60 but nothing like the 182. IMO id have the Clio over the Fiesta any day. Theres nothing really distinguishing them from the Zetec S in terms of the trim level and body work etc.

Insignia SRi
Yeah my MPG went down to about 27mpg once the mountune bits were added.

"I've only been in it a handful of times and he drives it no faster than his old 1.2"

Even in standard form the ST should be miles faster than a 1.2 clio, something must be wrong with his!!

BMW 118d
looks good but i'm not a fan of them tbh. My mate has one and he isn't keen on its fuel economy and when i've been out in it, it feels like it should be going a lot faster! very tunable though and I do quite like the chunky looks. Watch those center caps though. They always seems to be a target for thieves! My mates had 2 sets stolen before. He's stopped buying them now.

nice car , i also made the jump from clio to focus st and i wouldnt go back

^^ in response to that, did you try a Clio btw? Only reason I ask is because I test drove a Focus ST as i'd wanted one for ages and all it was to me was a fast hatchback. I drove the 197 a week later and it just felt special, much more concentrated fun! I've never looked at Focus ST's in the same light since. They do sound nice though

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Can't beat the ford gearboxes for feel, but they are very underpowedered for a 'hot' 2.0ltr.

I wouldnt say so, 150bhp is pretty good/average for a NA 2.0 road car.
Just because renault chose to sacrifice Torque, driveability and refinement for a few more horses doesnt mean its 'very' underpowered.
Dont get me wrong, I much prefered driving my wifes 197 to either of her STs, however, they were definately not 'very' underpowered.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I wouldnt say so, 150bhp is pretty good/average for a NA 2.0 road car.
Just because renault chose to sacrifice Torque, driveability and refinement for a few more horses doesnt mean its 'very' underpowered.
Dont get me wrong, I much prefered driving my wifes 197 to either of her STs, however, they were definately not 'very' underpowered.

For a modern engine, 150hp from 2ltrs is not much better than your average family car. I would not say the F4R is undriveable in any way, ~165hp-175hp isn't a huge leap from 150hp. IMO - it's not acceptable for a 'hot hatch'.

306 GTI-6
MY 13 year old 2.0 litre n/a was 167 bhp when new. So 8-9 years on, i would say 150 bhp is underpowered really, especially as the car prob weighs more than mine does.

Insignia SRi
When you go over 170hp in the ST it feels completely different. Mine is virtually on par with the 172 i had now and match that the better build quality etc and im glad i made the swap.

Agreed though in standard form there arnt that quick.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't beat the ford gearboxes for feel, but they are very underpowedered for a 'hot' 2.0ltr.

For a modern engine, 150hp from 2ltrs is not much better than your average family car. I would not say the F4R is undriveable in any way, ~165hp-175hp isn't a huge leap from 150hp. IMO - it's not acceptable for a 'hot hatch'.

MY 13 year old 2.0 litre n/a was 167 bhp when new. So 8-9 years on, i would say 150 bhp is underpowered really, especially as the car prob weighs more than mine does.

The ST isn't a hot hatch, it's a warm hatch. It wasn't built to compete with the 172/182. This my dears is marketing fact!

Last edited by a moderator:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Its the ford way, churn out and create the next shape to depreciate the previous ASAP.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Moutune 185 kit makes it different car altogether. As a package its well worth it imo

Its the ford way, churn out and create the next shape to depreciate the previous ASAP.

I can see you're new to the car industry. PMSL at a Clio owner talking about models being superseded. The Ford product cycle is no different to any other manufacturer. Usually around 6-7 years per platform.

Evo 5 RS
That paint is AWFUL!!!! Sorry but I couldn't hold back

Nice cars though, just a tad overstated imo. Much respect for the Focus power plants though, brilliant conversion

RS Megane DCi 175
LOL at the Warm/Hot Hatch ST chatter AGAIN! Never gets old eh Gally?! ;)

Lovely cars, still elements of mine that I miss - chuckability & grip being the main ones. Get it dropped on some coilies though!

p.s. Re the orange peal - that's pretty much the Ford standard, mine was the same:
3416203892_1ffba7a5af.jpg

Fiesta ST - Sporting Trophy by d35ign, on Flickr

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I can see you're new to the car industry. PMSL at a Clio owner talking about models being superseded. The Ford product cycle is no different to any other manufacturer. Usually around 6-7 years per platform.

You and your high horse, i mean if i was in the click you would of found me funny. But again im having a joke cropper.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
By the way car looks nice bud, not one for the stripes but its still nice.

120d M Sport
LOL at the depreciation chat. Find me a decent ST for less than £4500. Plenty of tidy 182's of similar age for £3500.

They've held their money a lot better than the Clios.

BMW 1 Series
i'm frightened to post in here again in case I flame the debate!

Part of the reason I bought the ST was because of its warm-hatch reputation, for me to have got a 172/182 I would have had to have bought a cheaper example with higher mileage just to be able to off-set the cost of higher insurance. Far easier to buy an ST for temporary use which has a good degree of performance for what it is.

Plenty of time for faster cars once I am no longer a tax-dodging student!

BMW 1 Series
Just thought i'd give this a little update..

I took the ST to OC Motorsport for a major service and MOT (no advisories!). Also got a K&N 57i fitted whilst it was there:

6807939416_9da7988700_b.jpg

I also managed to get around to changing my ford badges over for factory-fresh ones. I did consider getting coloured overlays for them, which are really popular over on FiestaSTOC, but in the end I decided to stick with the OEM route.

Here's a comparison pic:

6807939920_ce228d45de_b.jpg

(Sorry if the pics are a bit naff, my DSLR had my 50mm on and i couldn't be bothered to change it!)

Next on the list is some fresh plates as the current ones are rusting slightly on the bolts.

Then it will be time for the annual detail when the weather is a bit nicer / warmer :)

Last edited: