ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first car - my first clio!

Well finally folks ive got off my arse and got some pictures. But first heres a bit of a write up and mini review.

I passed my test on the 8th feb, and searched for a car for ages, i knew what i was after but finding it was another matter. After about a month of searching i found her about 40 miles away from me.

Ive bought a 1996 ('P'-plate) Renault Clio RT 1.4 with 74,000 miles on the clock

Its had 4 owners, with the last one being a lad of similar age to me. Basically, hes made a bit of a mess of it. As the pictures below show hes added a set of 15" TSW Catalunya's which i have to say have grown on me. He has also, however, added a Rage back box exhaust, which is shockingly loud, and gets on my nerves something rotten. Unfortuenately i dont have the money to sort that out anytime soon so ill put up with it - if im being honest its not all that bad when your giving it the beans and does sound rather throaty. the trouble is at 30 or 40 doing steady rpm's it just drones like hell.
The main thing hes done wrong though, is that when the sunroofseal started to take in water - as is common on mk1 clios so ive found, he didnt nip down to the local renault dealer and buy a new seal. no. He went upstairs and got some bathroom sealent. The result is not very nice at all, but to compound the matter he then decided to run it through a few car washes, which spreaded all the sealent back over the roof. It took me and my dad the best part of 4 hours last saturday t-cutting the whole car, and most if not all is now off. I'm planning on getting the roof done pretty soon to get rid of the horrible white mess which curently adorns my sunroof.
The only other thing wrong with the car aside from the usuall scratches and dings for its age is the state of the front bumper. Its cracked in a few places and theres some scratching just above the number plate. A new front bumper - unpainted, on ebay is £100 so that wont be getting sorted anytime soon.

Now that the bad points are out fo the way ill stat listing some of its good features.
Considering its a small car, it is pretty well specced, including, power steering, remote central locking, electric windows, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, cd player and height adjustable seats.

Perhaps the best bit of the car, as no surprise with small european hatchbacks is that its a real joy to drive. Honestly, i drove my sisters brand new 06 VW polo for about a month which might i add is a nice car. Having driven mine for a good 2 weeks though, id have to say id choose the clio over the new polo anyday. Everything feels nice and tight, theres farrrr more feedback through the steering even though both are power assisted and the gearbox is much more precise and tight than the polo. The main difference is the power however. The polo is a 1.2 3cyl which relies completely on torque to punt it around. It was pretty nippy from low revs but if you were trying to beat it around a back road it was sh*t. Beyond 2500rpm there was f**k all. Nothing. Everything just got louder with no increase in acceleration whatsoever.
The clio is consderably better endowed however, and whilst its no rocketship with a 1.4 its considerably faster than the polo, and any of the cars my mates are driving like puntos and 205's. The torque is exactly the same as the polo, but after 2500-3000rpm something actually happens.
I took the car out a few nights ago on a big-assed 60odd mile cross country bash, and belting round the yorkshire dales back roads it was a proper hoot. I had the arse out on a few corners with a bit of well timed lift off over-steer, and not once did the front push wide on any of the really tight corners. Needless to say i am very impressed.

Cash dictates i dont have very much money to do anything to the car with, but when i get some coins togeather im planning on getting a de-cat pipe which should liberate 5bhp taking the total to a heady 80bhp.

I have already bought an ITG replacement panel filter for the car, as the lad before me who had it fitted an air induction kit, however this was placed poorly and as a result simply sucks in hot air when the engine warms up.

Im also planning on getting a seat ibiza front splitter for the car, as after looking round the forums ive found out the car looks great with a bit less height on the front bumper.

Well if your still with me after listening to me drone on, here are some pictures for your patience.

V.Nice first car, didn't read everything you said but if it hasn't been covered, lower and get a 16v spoiler... will make a huge difference..

Last edited:

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Nice first car mate! But I'd check out that wet patch..lol

Enjoy!

Mini Cooper S sport
Looks good to me, and I think those rims quite suit it actually - enjoy! Shame about the bits he buggered up, but you can soon put those right.

Nice car ;)

I agree they are quite enjoyable to drive and have good kit for the age.
Just sat mine on apex shocks & springs, mucho difference, handles alot better.

Golf R/Leon FR
very nice first car fella, hopefully you'll get the bad points sorted out, apart from that it looks tidy.

welcome to the club also fella.

Cheers for all the kind words everyone! nice to be made to feel so welcome.

Out of interest, what would i need to get this thing kissing the tarmac, and how much mould i have to shell out - im a student and a yorkshireman so the phrase tight on cash doesnt even cover it!

^^ lol.

I paid £245 for my 60mm springs & shocks, Im also a student, but work at tesco part time :( lol

The cheaper option is get yourself some 40mm springs (anylower and youre dampers will be wrecked in 6 months) for about £50, then lower the torsion bar to suit..

Jaybee_RT said:
^^ lol.

I paid £245 for my 60mm springs & shocks, Im also a student, but work at tesco part time :( lol

The cheaper option is get yourself some 40mm springs (anylower and youre dampers will be wrecked in 6 months) for about £50, then lower the torsion bar to suit..

haha, im the same only i work at the enemy - sainburys.

I think ill just save up some cash over a few months and get the proper job.

Punto/Clio GTT
2nd hand 60 mil springs = 30 quid
brand new 60 quid

torsion bar (rear suspension as it has no springs just dampers n torsion) you can do yourself if you dont mind gettin your hands dirty

Mate,

Very soon i will have some springs for sale and i could do the torsion beam for you/show you how to do it as well if you were interested. I'm based in skipton just past keighley as you come out of bradford so if you could get the car over im more than willing to do it all for ya??? Just about to graduate myself so i know all about the money situation and how important it is to do eveythin on the cheap ;).

PM me and let me know bud?

Shorty

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
nice first car mate, good write up on it too, hope you enjoy it and have how many years you decide to keep it trouble free motoring...............

but slam it

Well i think lowering is on the cards just a time and money situation now.

However, this came through the post yesterday, and i finally got it on today.
The pics dont do it justice, it looks really really smart on the car
dsc00288ui.jpg