ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first time driving RWD with an LSD

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Oh my, what a difference. I had this done a week ago so have gotten to grips with it a bit more since I made this...

Predictable, consistent, and lively sums it up...and that's in the dry. I'm looking forward to getting it out in the rain :ROFLMAO:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Have you made a spreadsheet to confirm how much difference in tyre wear you will now see over the lifetime of a tyre, with sidebar menus for different days and weather forecasts?

Xk53GM3.png

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve been waiting for this. Just fitted my M performance exhaust and this would be my next upgrade but I want to wait and see what your experience is like.

Also trying to wait for one to come up second hand rather than buy new. But the auto LSD for the 140 is different from the 135 / manual 140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I’ve been waiting for this. Just fitted my M performance exhaust and this would be my next upgrade but I want to wait and see what your experience is like.

Also trying to wait for one to come up second hand rather than buy new. But the auto LSD for the 140 is different from the 135 / manual 140

Just buy it tbh. If you can be patient they do come up on babybmw but very rarely. They usually hang around for ages too as people over estimate demand for them. Can’t remember how much I sold mine to Mark for but I got 12k miles of smiles from it beforehand!

Is this a 1 or 1.5 way? Only got a Torsen in my MR2 and with the lack of torque its rarely engaged even on track. I can imagine the MP diff will make a lot of difference on the M140.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Have you made a spreadsheet to confirm how much difference in tyre wear you will now see over the lifetime of a tyre, with sidebar menus for different days and weather forecasts?

All done beforehand. I made Jeff wait ages until the numbers stacked up.

Just buy it tbh. If you can be patient they do come up on babybmw but very rarely. They usually hang around for ages too as people over estimate demand for them. Can’t remember how much I sold mine to Mark for but I got 12k miles of smiles from it beforehand!

Pennies! I completely ripped you off IIRC 😘

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
@MarkCup that was interesting to see how he removed the diff! We don’t do it like that at work, and I can have one out in about 15 mins if I get a wriggle on. Might try it the way he did it to see if it’s any quicker. Lol

He's never done one before so just worked out what he could as we went along!

Is it really that simple, 15 minutes? You take it out with driveshats attached or pop them out and just drop the diff?

Not that it matters of course...I will not ever take this thing off my car. Driving in this morning, my first day in the rain, wow.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
He's never done one before so just worked out what he could as we went along!

Is it really that simple, 15 minutes? You take it out with driveshats attached or pop them out and just drop the diff?

Not that it matters of course...I will not ever take this thing off my car. Driving in this morning, my first day in the rain, wow.
undo the propshaft nut, unbolt the diff with a stand underneath and lower it a little. Pop the shafts out the diff and lower it more. One shaft has to come out first (can’t remember which side!) and remove the other shaft. Out she comes!
15 mins? BMW quote 3 hrs labour for these...
yeah there or thereabouts mate. But that’s probably because I’m not removing them the recommended bmw way! 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
undo the propshaft nut, unbolt the diff with a stand underneath and lower it a little. Pop the shafts out the diff and lower it more. One shaft has to come out first (can’t remember which side!) and remove the other shaft. Out she comes!
yeah there or thereabouts mate. But that’s probably because I’m not removing them the recommended bmw way! 😂

You need to remove suspension to get the driveshafts out though don’t you? Or are you saying you can do it without? I had a mobile mechanic guy who came out when it was time for me to remove it and the guy was like “yeah shouldn’t take long” then when he jacked it up retorted with “s**t that’s a bit more involved than I can do on a jack”. The dealer I sold the car took the diff off for me in the end.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Classic trick from north loop cup. You don’t need to take suspension apart to remove driveshafts if you are removing the big bit in the middle.

I do this with classic minis. Lots of people try to lift the engines out with the car on stands and the ball joints split. All you do it lift the engine with the car all all 4 wheels, when it’s dangling on the engine lift just pop a shaft out (taking the gearbox away the opposite way. Saves so much time but just depends how much space you have to move the gearbox/engine/diff

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You need to remove suspension to get the driveshafts out though don’t you? Or are you saying you can do it without? I had a mobile mechanic guy who came out when it was time for me to remove it and the guy was like “yeah shouldn’t take long” then when he jacked it up retorted with “s**t that’s a bit more involved than I can do on a jack”. The dealer I sold the car took the diff off for me in the end.
Nope no suspension removed mate. It’s literally a case of dropping the diff, popping the shafts and out they come.

I work with a lad who can have an N47 engine out in 45 minutes. Lol!

Certainly on an E90 you can unbolt the inner Cvs and stick them above the flanges with the diff in situ so that it just falls out of the bottom. Biggest time soak is getting the front diff mount bolt to line up when it's going back in

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Good work Mark was waiting to see when you fitted this, will be interesting to see how it goes around Goodwood now. Can't say ill ever get one myself, but I only use mine to get to work and back and around some backroads when I find the time.